Would you delay purchase if the dual motor is first?

If the Dual Motor truck is released first, how long would you wait for the 500+ mile range Tri motor

• Willing to wait 3 months more than that I’d switch to dual

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Original launch dates had Dual Motor out a year earlier than Tri-Motor. But there is performance and then there is range... Normally, the longest-range Teslas are not the performance models.

A 500 mile dual motor would be my preference. We will see if Tesla runs both a max pack and a long-range pack on both the Dual and Tri-motor
They won’t. It is a nice idea but Tesla just doesn’t work that way.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I dont either....just wondering what effect it will have on the pricing and range.......this is a big miss for the CT
You both better go find another truck because Elon and Drew said in no uncertain terms that the CT will be using 4680s (and because it needs to). Any other choice fails on most every metric; weight, range, price, charging…

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You both better go find another truck because Elon and Drew said in no uncertain terms that the CT will be using 4680s (and because it needs to). Any other choice fails on most every metric; weight, range, price, charging…
hahahaha....he has also said many other things about the CT that are not happening...EX: bed length, battery, sideview mirrors, bullet proof glass, 6 seats, 500 mile and that the HW4 will be there....SO far I have not heard anything on HW$ except we are working on it.....Production has been moved out many times.....let's face it: we don't know 50% I think of what we need to know....ex: price, final specs....Also, he has said the final design was finished 4 months ago,...but we have not seen it nor has he shown it......so finding a known valued truck may be easier for some than others based on what we dont know

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If the Dual motor was 50k and Tri 70k

Raw materials have stabilized. Lets average 7% inflation

7%7%
DUALTRI
2020​
50000​
2020​
70000​
2021​
53500​
2021​
74900​
2022​
57245​
2022​
80143​
2023​
61252​
2023​
85753​

I truly do not think Telsa has gone haywire and added bells and whistles it didn't account for.

We created the Gigapress, which wasn't in existence in 2019... and the 4680 was a longer shot in 2019.
Also>.. On reveal they didn't have 1.5 million orders. Now they have an economy of scale which should further reduce their original estimates.

We could in effect imo take 10% off the above.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I truly do not think Telsa has gone haywire and added bells and whistles it didn't account for.
Rear steering is new. But I do think Tesla is really trying to keep the cost down. That may be the reason we didn't see driver display. 4th motor which was also new may be out partly for that reason too. I think Tesla may be able to price it closer to what you noted partly because of the monopoly they have on parts and accessories.

he has said the final design was finished 4 months ago
4 months, 24 months who is counting?

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...says-final-cybertruck-design-is-looking.2551/

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the Dual motor was 50k and Tri 70k

Raw materials have stabilized. Lets average 7% inflation

7%7%
DUALTRI
2020​
50000​
2020​
70000​
2021​
53500​
2021​
74900​
2022​
57245​
2022​
80143​
2023​
61252​
2023​
85753​

We created the Gigapress, which wasn't in existence in 2019... and the 4680 was a longer shot in 2019.
Also>.. On reveal they didn't have 1.5 million orders. Now they have an economy of scale which should further reduce their original estimates.

We could in effect imo take 10% off the above.
well in that case, we could see a trip-motor for 77,177.......which is only 8,177 more than reveal.....but remember the cost has also gone down due to design modifications, shorter, no 6th seat and those thong added/deleted we dont yet know about

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The ones from the retail investor who got into Investor Day. Matt DR or something.

He talked to a lot of Tesla staff about the Cybertruck and one of the things he pulled away from it was dual motor would be first.

So it’s somewhere between a leak and a rumor. Slightly more credible than just pure theory.

If I sound a bit skeptical it’s because I am. But it’s not that far out there, Tesla’s 4680 production isn’t exactly in high gear so very possible they don’t have enough cells to produce a 500m truck in volume.
I hear that you are frustrated (about a lot of things), and you are not alone, but MDR is full of hot air, and we would ALL be better off resetting the clock to yesterday before 8:15 am when we all had much better information than we do now simply because we believed what Elon and Tesla said to a much greater degree. You do not know that Tesla cannot produce enough 4680s for the CT begin of production. You do not know what the 4680 performance will be next year because none of us do. You are welcome to your personal beliefs but some of us still believe Drew and Elon… over anyone else. To use words often aimed at me, chill sir.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Have 2 Tri motors on order, would switch to quad if / as available..would switch first truck to dual if it would come 1 year earlier and then just flip it for the 2nd truck - I originally did it for bug/design fixes but it'll work in this case too

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hear that you are frustrated (about a lot of things), and you are not alone, but MDR is full of hot air, and we would ALL be better off resetting the clock to yesterday before 8:15 am when we all had much better information than we do now simply because we believed what Elon and Tesla said to a much greater degree. You do not know that Tesla cannot produce enough 4680s for the CT begin of production. You do not know what the 4680 performance will be next year because none of us do. You are welcome to your personal beliefs but some of us still believe Drew and Elon… over anyone else. To use words often aimed at me, chill sir.
I’m chill AF.

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
The only things I really care about:
- 500+ miles range
- a 2" hitch receiver for a bicycle rack
- mild off-road capability is a big plus but not a hard requirement

I don't care about number of motors, 0-60 time, or 1/4 mile time. I almost don't care about towing capacity as long as it can tow a small trailer.

If Elon called me tomorrow and asked what vehicle I wanted the most, it would be a full sized SUV or van (think Chevy Suburban or at least Tahoe) with 500+ miles range. Seating for at least 5. Ability to remove or fold down seats to carry a 4' x' 8' sheet of plywood inside would be a big bonus. The CT is the closest thing so far. (I was hoping for a pass through mid-gate...)

So - if the quad or tri motor CTs are the ones with 500+ miles range, that's what I'm getting. I'd actually prefer dual motor (with 500+ mi range) because it would be cheaper and more efficient.

First Name
Stranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Ford Super Duty
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Range is going to be the big one because at anything other than a supercharger it is going to be slower to charge (bigger battery for bigger truck = longer charging time). I don't care what anyone says about trailers not affecting range very much, they are confused. Trailers kill mileage because of their extremely poor aero and trailer tires that are normally not perfectly aligned and have a lot of drag. My 20' dual axle lowboy trailer empty knocks about 20% off of my F-350 mileage at 75 - put something tall on it and it is easy to see a 30% drop. My 30' gooseneck loaded up can easily knock 40% off of the mileage. If Tesla is going to try and sell it as a "real truck" vs. a toy, range is the biggie. If it comes out with 220 mile real world range empty (or Musk keeps defending the Jan 6 rioters who tried to overthrow our constitutional democracy) I will cancel my order. CT will not be the only viable electric truck.

MarcF

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1200GS, Hyundai Elantra
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Recent video claims dual motor truck will be first. If the shorter ranger lower performance truck is first do you still buy it?

Likely hypothetical for most people since tri/ quad will likely follow a year or less after.
For towing, if powered trailer with it's own battery capacity and no capacity of Vehicle to Trailer to Vehicle (VTV), this is very limiting in range EV vs ICE in sustained work!

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank for the explanation. I might be torn then. Might be ok with dual motor but 300mile range sucks. What our Y has and get 250-260 with normal driving.
what is your kWh usage on your Y?
Sponsored