If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That guy's voice is impressive. This video is as good of an advertisement as Rivian could ever ask for :) .
I find it odd how many of the reviewers have had flat tires. I guess they've had a lot of rough terrain, but I think I've seen 3 different reviews where they had to change a flat.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I’ve driven that very V Ditch in a Rubicon with a few mods, nothing special. We all did it a lot faster than that photo op and I don’t even remember using a ground guide for it. There are certainly 100s of other spots in Moab I’d fear to take a CT, but that isn’t one of them.

Edit: Pics, so you know it happened/know what I'm talking about...

20160407_170806_Original.jpg

Ăź
High dive? Its been a few years I think that's what that obstacle is called. I had to go around, my CJ has a 94" wheelbase, my friends did it and one even did an nose stand on his front 2 tires for a couple of seconds. We had a winch tied to the back for white knuckle.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I find it odd how many of the reviewers have had flat tires. I guess they've had a lot of rough terrain, but I think I've seen 3 different reviews where they had to change a flat.
Tire sidewall is so critical. The number one reason I didn't go for a Rivian was the fact you can't go up just a little in tire size nor go smaller than 20" on the wheels. For off-roading it's the critical thing that keeps you from getting a flat. The tire doesn't "gash" it gets pinched between the wheel rim and the rock. Once the rock and wheel pinch down on the sidewall it scissors through it. With 20" wheels you need to be on 37" or more. With <19" wheels (definitely not 20") and 35" tires with kevlar sidewalls you would do that trail all day without a problem. When you air down, the sidewalls bulge out and make a footprint that lets the tire properly deform and lift the wheel before the scissor point.

If the CT doesn't come with at least a 35" wheel option I'd have to pass as well.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Why do you think the Cybertruck wouldn't do well there?
I think it is too wide for many of the cliffs and still doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I also am waiting to see what the tire options are, as that definitely has impact. Love the low COG, but that is just one of the many things that influence performance. Jeeps and other toys get away with being high, per above... Attack/departure angle should be great, but we'll see what is making its way out of the factory, vice the prototype... I love the thing, but it may not be a swiss army knife for off-roading... we'll sure see!

SS

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The number one reason I didn't go for a Rivian was the fact you can't go up just a little in tire size nor go smaller than 20" on the wheels.
It's curious that they've been taking reviewers out on such punishing routes then.

If the CT doesn't come with at least a 35" wheel option I'd have to pass as well.
Looking at the way it's presented, they almost need to have multiple wheel options. Lots of us want range + light off road and lots want hard off-road with maybe less range.

I'm not sure what size tires they have on the prototype, I'm sure something very similar to those will be offered. If and what other options they have is a bit mystery.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
with all these flats, it makes me worry about going deep off road with it. What happens if you are driving out and get a flat? Change the tire to the spare. But now you don’t have backup to get back with. So what happens when you get another flat half way back?

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I think it is too wide for many of the cliffs and still doesn't have a lot of ground clearance.

According to the following link, the CT and Rivian are actually the same width. The CT is 14" longer. and 3.5" taller, with 2" more ground clearance. Not sure where those numbers come from but, if true, I don't see why the CT would perform worse than the Rivian in difficult offroad situations like those seen in the videos.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t/#:~:text=The Rivian R1T measures 217,comes to width and height.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
That guy's voice is impressive. This video is as good of an advertisement as Rivian could ever ask for :) .
His channel is pretty good. He's been at it for a while. Right now, he's doing a series about building an electric HMMWV.

What happens if you are driving out and get a flat? Change the tire to the spare. But now you don’t have backup to get back with. So what happens when you get another flat half way back?
You're stuck like chuck. But once you get a flat and put on a spare you're supposed to head back immediately on a softer trail, and drive like you're taking Grandma to the hospital for world peace. You should do trails with others for just such a thing. Pushing further and killing your spare is trouble you never want.

I'm by no means a hard core off-roader. I've never done Moab or anything that hard. The trails in the JerryRigEverything R1S review are exactly the type of trails I've done since the late 90s and do now with my family when we do our summer thing. And the in all my time I've stayed out of trouble with a winch and 35" KM2/3s. The closest I've ever come to a flat was when I caught a highway plate spike in my tire and didn't notice beyond a clicking noise and a pressure light after 30 miles as I pulled into my driveway.

The CT is weirdly close to my perfect vehicle.

Last edited:

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
with all these flats, it makes me worry about going deep off road with it. What happens if you are driving out and get a flat? Change the tire to the spare. But now you don’t have backup to get back with. So what happens when you get another flat half way back?
I is most likely the type of tire used. The compound is too hard for off-road, which is good for fuel economy but they tend to fracture. I had it happen on a few tires in the past

A friend on an off-roading trip blew 3 tires in one mile. Used his spare, someone else's spare, then had to send someone into town to pick up another tire.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Poking my head into the Rivian forums I was a little surprised at something.

The estimates they have over there suggest Rivian's sales numbers are in the low-mid 20k range. That's both the truck and the SUV together. That is consistent with what the CEO of Rivian said "We have 10s of thousands of pre-orders".

There are also hints that they are going to have most of those trucks delivered by Spring of next year.

Good chance if you put your hat in the Rivian ring, you'll be in a truck by summer.
Very shrewd, steer the populace towards Rivian, and each Cybertruck reservation that gets cancelled as a result brings your queue closer. Not today, Satan.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You can always select the Rolls Royce Specter as an alternative To the CT.