I have CT reserved, but I rented a Y on Turo. My thoughts - and yours :)

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
With the Y now being backordered to January, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Here are my thoughts, as someone who has never owned a Tesla:
-The Y I rented is a LR, white on white.
-This thing is, IMO, GORGEOUS. I was initially turned off by the white interior, but man oh man do I love it in person. Is it just me or does it feel "fluffier" than the black interior? The white also cleans up pretty easy. It looks so futuristic and cool, combined with the glass roof. It's just incredible.
-The Y is so roomy! I went to Costco and Target and had no issues. It is deceiving. There's more room than you'd think.
-Driving the Y is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's tight, sporty, yet has room for the family. It's just flat out FUN. Wife and I went out for a night drive last night. Just chatted and drove. It was quite enjoyable.
-My son's car seat is a great fit. There's still plenty of room for passengers, and stuffs.
-I supercharged yesterday. This was not as bad as I thought. Plenty of stalls open, and the 25 minutes FLEW. I chatted with another Tesla owner, super friendly folks! I replied to some work emails, made some calls, and I was done. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I would compare it to getting gas this way: if you go in, use the bathroom, get some snacks and drinks, sat back in the car to write an email or two; to me, it would be about the same amount of time. And the supercharger stalls are WAY nicer than the gross gas pumps :)

The reason I wrote this is because I'm seriously considering getting a Y, and was hoping to get opinions of folks who either own a Y or or considering purchasing. My gut tells me CT is probably more than a year off. I REALLY want the CT! What do you guys and gals think? Get Y, drive it for like 3 years until my CT is ready? Resale on Y's are good now - obviously this could change in the future.
Thanks!
Sponsored

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
The Y is indeed incredible! If it fits your needs then go for it, you won't be disappointed. There are many advantages of going with either vehicle. Make a list of what you need the vehicle to do, what fits the budget, and how soon do you need it.

I would personally love to get a Y now but my wife and I share a Model 3 and I use my old Silverado for the times I need to haul tools around (truck stuff). But that 6.5' bed is something the Y can not compete with. So it will be a Model 3 and CT household for my family.

EDIT: If you do decide on the Y then DO NOT cancel your CT reservation. Wait until CT's are out in the wild and you are able to test drive to see if it is worth trading in the Y.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Get Y, drive it for like 3 years until my CT is ready?
This is what I did back in February. Of course they were $4000 less expensive at the time and I got mine in less than a week.

The problem is you will end up liking the Model Y so much you want want to part ways with it when you take delivery of the truck.

Also, your comment about storage space is spot on. My Subaru has a bigger space behind the seats, but I think the Model Y has about as much total storage space. Having segregated spaces is super nice for organization too.

britt322

First Name
doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F350 superduty.
Country flag
With the Y now being backordered to January, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Here are my thoughts, as someone who has never owned a Tesla:
-This thing is, IMO, GORGEOUS. I was initially turned off by the white interior, but man oh man do I love it in person. Is it just me or does it feel "fluffier" than the black interior? The white also cleans up pretty easy. It looks so futuristic and cool, combined with the glass roof. It's just incredible.
-The Y is so roomy! I went to Costco and Target and had no issues. It is deceiving. There's more room than you'd think.
-Driving the Y is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's tight, sporty, yet has room for the family. It's just flat out FUN. Wife and I went out for a night drive last night. Just chatted and drove. It was quite enjoyable.
-My son's car seat is a great fit. There's still plenty of room for passengers, and stuffs.
-I supercharged yesterday. This was not as bad as I thought. Plenty of stalls open, and the 25 minutes FLEW. I chatted with another Tesla owner, super friendly folks! I replied to some work emails, made some calls, and I was done. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I would compare it to getting gas this way: if you go in, use the bathroom, get some snacks and drinks, sat back in the car to write an email or two; to me, it would be about the same amount of time. And the supercharger stalls are WAY nicer than the gross gas pumps :)

The reason I wrote this is because I'm seriously considering getting a Y, and was hoping to get opinions of folks who either own a Y or or considering purchasing. My gut tells me CT is probably more than a year off. I REALLY want the CT! What do you guys and gals think? Get Y, drive it for like 3 years until my CT is ready? Resale on Y's are good now - obviously this could change in the future.
Thanks!
I ordered my Y when I realized the CT would be at least 2 years out for me. I have been driving it for a little over a year. Best car I have ever owned. Was going to sell it when my CT arrived if the CT turned out to be good enough to replace my F350 SD. Now I'm keeping it regardless of the CT's fitness for duty. The Y is much better than my 560SL ever was: Quickness, speed, handling, ride, responsiveness, comfort, noise. The 560 was less than on everything. Buy it. Drive it. You'll never look back.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

Thanks!
Man, I had this bug and shrugged it off. You had to write this and mess with me.

What is your spot in line? If you expect CT in 3+ years, and you typically donā€™t keep your cars long, go for it. CT is still a bit of crapshoot with all the unknown and untested stuff. Y has a back up plan if 4680 does not pan out and has priority over CT. The question is will you be OK with getting a current Y in January if the Texas Y with 4680 start going out in May?

Price wise it is high but everything is hi. Tesla is showing 2-3 year old used model 3s for near $60K on their site. If things remain the same, chances are CT will be higher than we expect. If market goes back down and you get less for your Y, you will pay less for CT too. Since you already know you like it, I doubt you will regret it.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Man, I just had the exact same experience as you, Jamessmooth007 .

I was thinking about starting a thread called "Talk me out of buying a Model Y."

I visited family in Phoenix last week, and took the opportunity to test drive the Y, my first time driving a tesla. I was completely blown away by how great the driving experience was. We drove there in a Mercedes, and I was thinking it would be similar in terms of driving comfort, but really the model Y was much better in my opinion. Plus the speed, power, simplicity, smoothness, realtime driving display, and gorgeous glass roof. I was ready to sign the papers and buy the damn thing right there.

How am I supposed to wait another year or two for the CT???

I thought about buying the Y, driving it for a few years, and trying to sell it later...but I bet it would be quite hard to sell in my remote part of Alaska. Then I wouldn't be able to afford the CT when the time finally comes. It seems like it would be a mistake.

I even thought about leasing one, but then I'd have to pay to transport it up here and back again when the lease is up. Seems like a waste of money.

Oh well. I'll just have to keep waiting.

Sidenote: We encountered a Rivian truck in Portland in a Goodwill parking lot, of all places. It had a lidar/camera attached to the roof and was clearly mapping/testing something. Super surprising to see! Are there very many of these out there? It was quite a beautiful truck. Felt like a lucky encounter.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
As a Y owner I can agree with the experience. No more risking gas station card skimmers/filthy fuel pump handles, a no hassle walk up entry and exit routine, no ICE noise/smell/racket/gears shifting, goodbye oil changes, seamless ā€œinstant onā€œ power, amazing vehicle software, minimalist dash, super comfortable seats, tons of room, sporty and direct steering, the best-in-the-biz regenerative braking, etc. The one pedal driving is one of my favorite features.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Man, I feel for you. We just got my wife a Model Y last month and we love it. Iā€™ll still keep my 2019 RAM Laramie pickup until the CT is out. This way I have my truck for truck stuff (hauling my kayak, mainly) and can also enjoy driving my wifeā€™s Y.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One goofy thing about buying a Model y right now, there is potential for a 10k rebate very soon. Thatā€™s gonna sting if you buy today and itā€™s 10k less in December.

of course if you order now you might still get the rebate. Bit of a gamble

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I've nearly pulled the trigger on a Model Y Performance a few times. The Tesla not far from me had a beautiful blue, lightly used Model Y Performance with just 700 miles on it. Ex-demo model, but who cares when it's an EV? Nice discount to a new one... so tempting. Of course now, it likely wouldn't sell at the same discount.

I just couldn't justify it, I didn't need it, my car was only three years old and still had another 3 years of warranty. Still... part of me wishes I did.

OP
OP

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
What is your spot in line? If you expect CT in 3+ years, and you typically donā€™t keep your cars long, go for it. CT is still a bit of crapshoot with all the unknown and untested stuff. Y has a back up plan if 4680 does not pan out and has priority over CT. The question is will you be OK with getting a current Y in January if the Texas Y with 4680 start going out in May?
Iā€™m within the first 1,000 orders, if the tracker is to be believed. While this is a nice position to be in, I still donā€™t have confidence Iā€™ll get one within the next year, maybe even 2. Thereā€™s just so much that needs to happen to produce it, you know?
Re 4680: Iā€™d be ok getting a potential current Y in January. Hell, Iā€™ve been saving up for a Tesla for over 2 years now, Iā€™m just about done waiting :D

How am I supposed to wait another year or two for the CT???
Honestly I really donā€™t think the CT will happen in 2022. As I mentioned above, Iā€™m within the first 1,000 orders. Elonā€™s comments at the recent earnings call didnā€™t give me any peace of mind. If ELON is saying CT production will be hard, then itā€™s likely YEARS out.
Also, you saw a RIVIAN?! I havenā€™t seen one yet, certainly a rare spot! I actually considered Rivian, but Tesla has so much more experience with electric vehicles.

The one pedal driving is one of my favorite features.
This QUICKLY became one of my favorite features. I had no idea how easy it would be to drive with one pedal. After 2 days with the Y, itā€™s second nature now.

One goofy thing about buying a Model y right now, there is potential for a 10k rebate very soon.
Great point. Is it a rebate? I thought it was a tax credit.

The Tesla not far from me had a beautiful blue, lightly used Model Y Performance with just 700 miles on it.
You would have loved it. The acceleration on the long range Y throws you back in your seat. I canā€™t imagine what the performance is like! Furtherā€¦ I canā€™t imagine what the tri motor CT is like!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Huh. I don't really like one-pedal driving. I find holding one position to be exhausting over a short time. On my Zero I have throttle regen turned all the way down just to reduce the effect as much as possible!

What makes you like it? I can appreciate the 'only goes when you tell it to' part, tho.

-Crissa

WhoWhatWhere

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
One goofy thing about buying a Model y right now, there is potential for a 10k rebate very soon. Thatā€™s gonna sting if you buy today and itā€™s 10k less in December.

of course if you order now you might still get the rebate. Bit of a gamble
Tell me more about this $10k rebate

CTBags

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
DoD
Country flag
I jumped on the CT waitlist in April ā€˜ 20 and I bought Model 3 sight unseen in October as a test case for the electric lifestyle. Im sold and all in. Judging by how you rave over the rented Y, sounds like you are too, so take the plunge!
Sponsored