Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My dual motor reservation is 219,567 according to the tracker and 654,114 overall. I have sworn I will never buy a new ICE and my existing cars are all worn out.

I am thinking about leasing the plainest Jane white Model 3 RWD this weekend. Currently the most efficient BEV in production. I have never leased because I am cheap and drive my cars into the ground.

I am trying to decide between the 24 and 36 month lease for 15,000 annual miles. After averaging the due at signing, taxes, lease payments, wall charger, and even new tires for the 36 month, the lease payments are $686 and $610 for the 24 and 36 month lease respectively. Electricity is super cheap in Utah so I should save over $120 a month on operational cost. Unfortunately I will mile out each year but $.25 per mile is not bad all considering.

The lease is intriguing. I think Tesla is thinking they will perfect FSD/robotaxi in 2 years, that why it is so low on face value. (lower than a Camry Lease apparently). They want the cars back. Even with the tax incentive my equivalent payment would be $802 per month.

I think BEV prices will continue to fall so I won't have to worry about unloading a car when I am ready for my CT.

So the question of the hour is will I get my CT in 24 months? or should I do the 36 month lease. I am flexible in that I might upgrade to the longer range version if it comes out closer to my lease expiration and is $75k or so.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I posted some charts a couple days back answering this exact question as best could be determined. I don’t know that anyone has any better information. It’s all guesswork at this point.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Today and the last 4 years has been a void of information. But I think in a month or two we may be more precise with a guess.

I'd hold that decision if I could.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
My dual motor reservation is 219,567 according to the tracker and 654,114 overall. I have sworn I will never buy a new ICE and my existing cars are all worn out.

I am thinking about leasing the plainest Jane white Model 3 RWD this weekend. Currently the most efficient BEV in production. I have never leased because I am cheap and drive my cars into the ground.

I am trying to decide between the 24 and 36 month lease for 15,000 annual miles. After averaging the due at signing, taxes, lease payments, wall charger, and even new tires for the 36 month, the lease payments are $686 and $610 for the 24 and 36 month lease respectively. Electricity is super cheap in Utah so I should save over $120 a month on operational cost. Unfortunately I will mile out each year but $.25 per mile is not bad all considering.

The lease is intriguing. I think Tesla is thinking they will perfect FSD/robotaxi in 2 years, that why it is so low on face value. (lower than a Camry Lease apparently). They want the cars back. Even with the tax incentive my equivalent payment would be $802 per month.

I think BEV prices will continue to fall so I won't have to worry about unloading a car when I am ready for my CT.

So the question of the hour is will I get my CT in 24 months? or should I do the 36 month lease. I am flexible in that I might upgrade to the longer range version if it comes out closer to my lease expiration and is $75k or so.
Without the option to buy the car tesla leasing imo is an absolute rip off.
Im seeing offers for Bolt EUV leases at $340/month. Thats where id be going if you wanna do a lease

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Without the option to buy the car tesla leasing imo is an absolute rip off.
Im seeing offers for Bolt EUV leases at $340/month. Thats where id be going if you wanna do a lease
The lowest stated lease for M3 is only $349. I added the down payment, charger, taxes and tires. to look at net. I imagine the Bolt also has a down payment and taxes that will get it close to the Net Tesla lease. Bolt or Tesla for $9 more. Hmmm.

I have never leased but I am thinking about it because in 3 years the market will look very different.

I am pretty much decided on the 3 year lease. This will also give me plenty of time to get used to the Tesla UI. If my CT comes in 30 months I will just have to figure something out.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Today and the last 4 years has been a void of information. But I think in a month or two we may be more precise with a guess.

I'd hold that decision if I could.
The smart decision would be to get a used ICE with 100k miles which should be reliable for another 45k. I am tired to doing the smart thing.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The smart decision would be to get a used ICE with 100k miles which should be reliable for another 45k. I am tired to doing the smart thing.
Actually thought of that too. Don't go out of control.

I reckon that's the way to go instead of committing to a lease with a timeline which may be detrimental to your main goal.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Four years ago, no one knew what the Cybertruck was named, let alone looked like.

We can't know what the ramp will look like until we get there.

-Crissa

Tjacquin

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Hmm what do you mean overall?? I'm around 219k but am I missing something else that might mean I'm farther out????

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Hmm what do you mean overall?? I'm around 219k but am I missing something else that might mean I'm farther out????
The tracker gave me a estimated place in line for all CT and just the Dual Motor. Pretty much 35% of the total. I think the tracker is lopsided towards enthusiast (tri motor) and there are actually more single motor and dual motors reservation out there than the estimates.

Tjacquin

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Thanks for the reply, I thought maybe I'm missing something and my number was worse than the 200k .I've already waited to long. Lol

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The tracker gave me a estimated place in line for all CT and just the Dual Motor. Pretty much 35% of the total. I think the tracker is lopsided towards enthusiast (tri motor) and there are actually more single motor and dual motors reservation out there than the estimates.
Yeah. And those who'd buy the single motor are also those who'd wait until it was proven, as well.

The market for Model Y and Model 3 were much more than the pre-orders, and lots more base models sold later. It makes sense.

-Crissa
Sponsored