Is the additional range from the single motor to the dual worth $10k?

ev4me

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (single motor)
Occupation
Construction Estimator
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion.

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
Sponsored

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

I have a reservation for a single motor which the known specs regarding payload, towing and etc exceeds my expectations for my driving habits. Upgrading to a dual motor really comes down to the additional range. Even though I would love to have the tri motor, it is too much for me and extra 50 miles for the dual for $10k more doesn't look like money well spent. On a 2000 mile drive you would have to stop to charge once or twice more with a single. That kind of trip doesn't happen often for me.
Dual motor gives me AWD, something I like and need in my 4 Season weather.

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag

More than range, it’s the additionnal motor that gives you AWD which explains the 10K

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
We don’t have the torque values to compare single to dual motors.

The Sgl-motor CT could be the Prius in the stable at Tesla. OTOH, it could be the sleeper with the strongest but shortest legs.

DK

OP
OP
ev4me

ev4me

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (single motor)
Occupation
Construction Estimator
Country flag
More than range, it’s the additionnal motor that gives you AWD which explains the 10K
The AWD option does make sense. I'm in Florida and I don't think about 4WD/AWD much any more. But I'm originally from Maine and I should know better about the value that brings.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We don’t know the exact specs for range, etc., on the models; only that there are 3 and that they differ in drivetrain, range, and towing capacity. Based on that you self select based on your needs. How you deal with the vehicle cost will probably depend on what the cost of the kind of cars or trucks you have bought in the past is and how long you intend to keep the truck. For me, my last car, a Lexus hybrid SUV, after financing, probably cost me around $70K. If I keep my CT for twice as long as the RX due to having a stainless and nearly indestructible body, then the cost is easy to justify. And that doesn’t even begin to count other great things about the truck, like kissing off gas stations for the rest of my life (yay!) or never worrying again about where I can go or how much I can put in my car, or even the possibility of a self driving car.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am really hoping they offer short, mid, and long range version of all three motor combinations. I know that's wishful thinking. I have the dual motor on order for AWD, but i would REALLY love the 500+ mile range of the Tri motor. Id be happy to pay for a larger pack but not the extra cost for another motor. that 24k jump is too much for me.

Oakland_baby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia, Chevy, cybertruck
Country flag

AWD and 50 miles may be exactly what I need for my day trips to go skiing. It is 165 miles but I anticipate climbing in elevation and cold will cut range substantially. The good news is regenerative braking will make getting down the hill easy once I get there. I hope to charge it while eating dinner unless a charger is available at the resort.
I also like the increase tow capacity. Towing range will be low.

braddibbnd

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 Ram, 23 Tesla MY
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AWD is a necessity for me and the lack of charging options in my area make a dual motor the minimum option for me. And I CAN'T wait to get my CT. Waiting another year seems unbearable on top of the year and a half(at least)wait for a dual motor.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

If you do not need the extra range, towing capacity, speed, or power then you are making a good decision by keeping your costs low. So many people will buy more than they need. I’m going to be buying mainly for the range of a tri-motor. And this is going to be my “splurge vehicle“. I personally keep a car for more than a decade. I fully expect my cyber truck to last 20 years plus. On a per year basis I can justify the cost. Since I am 400+ thousand in line I can save up all that money.

You need to do what is best for you. The nice thing is that Tesla is going to give us multiple options.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wow it's interesting, in almost 6 hours since this thread was posted, nobody mentioned the speed difference in these 2 vehicles.
For $10,000 more you change from a 6.5sec. 0-60 rear wheel drive slightly better than average pick-up. To an AWD 4.5 sec. pick-up that should be better than a Raptor or T-Rex. And no other stock production pick-up has EVER been quicker.
The thing about range, a lot of us non Tesla owners aren't grasping. You don't drive a 250 mile range EV, 250 miles between fill-ups.
On both ends of the spectrum charging is really slow. Plus you REALLY don't want to find empty. It's best to drive between 10%-85%. One other thing, range estimates on EV's seem to best best case scenarios, meaning 250 miles range is NOT driving 72 mph let alone 80. So, if you're on a road trip with cruise set for 80mph you're probably only gonna go maybe 125 miles between stops. 50 more miles between stops is a much bigger difference now. Actually what would probably be happening, is we would be stopping at about the same superchargers but in the Dual you'll be able to maintain the speed you want and charge in less time. With the single motor there would be times when the route planner is limiting your top speed to make it to that next supercharger. And, you will have used more energy, plus you may have to charge to 95% or more which adds a lot more time charging.
Some more food for thought is resale. There's a good chance that years down the road my kid will be driving and want the Dual. Think of the difference between a 65 Mustang with a V-8 vs. a 6 cylinder.
I live in So. Cal. and I originally ordered the single motor because I don't need AWD and I loved the thought of getting that awesome large utilitarian vehicle for less than any other Tesla. But after looking at https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
The single motor wasn't my choice anymore. I changed my reservation to a dual and actually later added another reservation for a tri motor. I really hope they come up with choices for more range in the dual.
EDIT: After writing this and posting I looked and saw EVCanuck's post. Yep, I would hate myself if I'm sitting at a light next to a Raptor and have to tell them, "this is the slow Cybertruck".

Last edited: