Is the folded exoskeleton actually easy to manufacture

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Was
This just in, actual pictures of the aftermath of recently conducted Cybertruck crash tests:

concrete.jpg

concrete cybertruck.jpg
Wasn't the Model S so strong it broke the crash testing machine? Hate to imagine what the CT will do..break the machine and then crash through the side of the building?
Sponsored

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
Better to crumple than transfer stress into the cabin or traction battery. Small damage to that and the vehicle is totaled; massive damage to the frunk and it's repairable.
-Crissa
Just watched Sandy Munro say it's not a worry about crashed megacastings being difficult and expensive to repair, because these days insurance companies will total any vehicle when there's damage to the primary structure.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Just watched Sandy Munro say it's not a worry about crashed megacastings being difficult and expensive to repair, because these days insurance companies will total any vehicle when there's damage to the primary structure.
yeah, watched that last night. Was one of my primary concerns/trigger points on going ahead with purchase (ie, would insurance be driven up by that).

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope CT engineers figure out how not to shatter ALL the windows and destroy the inner cage, in an impact. Sledge or otherwise. Crash test videos are going to ROCK!

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Yah, the difference is you can have a pretty significant impact to a unibody, OR body-on-frame vehicle, without doing frame damage. If someone slams into one of your doors, or the back of your car, it can be fixed without any frame issues.

If someone slams into the exterior of the CT, by definition, you have damaged the frame (exoskeleton).

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Yah, the difference is you can have a pretty significant impact to a unibody, OR body-on-frame vehicle, without doing frame damage. If someone slams into one of your doors, or the back of your car, it can be fixed without any frame issues.

If someone slams into the exterior of the CT, by definition, you have damaged the frame (exoskeleton).
I was just thinking the same thing! As a Saturn owner, I enjoyed the flexibility of the all-plastic body panels and the ability to have the extremely strong unibody frame withstand practically every accident that was thrown at it.

The worst one was a t-bone at 65mph with no brakes applied by the offender, and the worst that happened was a 2 inch section of the unibody that needed to be cut and welded with a new piece. And yeah, that totalled the car but we bought it back! I'm really sad that Saturn is gone...

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I was just thinking the same thing! As a Saturn owner, I enjoyed the flexibility of the all-plastic body panels and the ability to have the extremely strong unibody frame withstand practically every accident that was thrown at it.

The worst one was a t-bone at 65mph with no brakes applied by the offender, and the worst that happened was a 2 inch section of the unibody that needed to be cut and welded with a new piece. And yeah, that totalled the car but we bought it back! I'm really sad that Saturn is gone...
So basically with the CT we are trading away expensive but small visual damage claims for the possibility of having the CT totaled in serious accidents. Basically, any injury that is serious enough to cause more than a cosmetic issue will total out the vehicle. But instead of those cosmetic issues being just door dings, they could also include cars backing into us, a small tree falling on the vehicle, someone jumping on the vehicle, possibly vandalism attempts, breaking and entering (as long as they don't use a large metal ball bearing LOL), maybe even getting side-swiped in traffic, or gentle pushes from aggressive drivers, etc.

I think I can live with that. In general my vehicle will stand up to the normal wear and tear of existing in the real world. But if something happens that would cause a CarFax report to look bad, the vehicle is totaled so I won't worry about the CarFax report. As long as the vehicle keeps the occupants safe during those larger collisions I am AOK with this trade off.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
So basically with the CT we are trading away expensive but small visual damage claims for the possibility of having the CT totaled in serious accidents. Basically, any injury that is serious enough to cause more than a cosmetic issue will total out the vehicle. But instead of those cosmetic issues being just door dings, they could also include cars backing into us, a small tree falling on the vehicle, someone jumping on the vehicle, possibly vandalism attempts, breaking and entering (as long as they don't use a large metal ball bearing LOL), maybe even getting side-swiped in traffic, or gentle pushes from aggressive drivers, etc.

I think I can live with that. In general my vehicle will stand up to the normal wear and tear of existing in the real world. But if something happens that would cause a CarFax report to look bad, the vehicle is totaled so I won't worry about the CarFax report. As long as the vehicle keeps the occupants safe during those larger collisions I am AOK with this trade off.
There is no trade off.

What Sandy Munro said is that any force severe enough to cause Cybertruck to be written off by the insurance company as totaled would have caused a similar sized truck to be totaled too. There would also be some percent of accidents that would have totaled a similar sized truck that would NOT total Cybertruck.
Sandy has answered this question a couple of times.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Here is my thought, why not just replace the front or rear castings if they are damaged? If you have a modular component, why not just use it as such?

Seems weird to me you would try to repair something that takes just a few seconds to make... It would probably be much cheaper to cast more front and rear mega castings for just such issues.

Sure, there is a lot of labor unconnecting the components from the mega casting and installing it one the new mega casting... but is it less labor than repairing the mega casting? Depends on how modular they make the sub-assemblies that install on the mega casting.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here is my thought, why not just replace the front or rear castings if they are damaged? If you have a modular component, why not just use it as such?

Seems weird to me you would try to repair something that takes just a few seconds to make... It would probably be much cheaper to cast more front and rear mega castings for just such issues.
...Because removing something like that would be disassembling basically half the car. And many, many welds. VS cutting a piece off and bolting a new sub-part on.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Sure, there is a lot of labor unconnecting the components from the mega casting and installing it one the new mega casting... but is it less labor than repairing the mega casting? Depends on how modular they make the sub-assemblies that install on the mega casting.
...Because removing something like that would be disassembling basically half the car. And many, many welds. VS cutting a piece off and bolting a new sub-part on.

-Crissa
This is something I could see working either way. Just depends on design, implementation, and the specific damage incurred. For me the most telling will be when Sandy Monroe reports out on his tear down. I would imagine that this is something he will wax on about. Till then we are all speculating about something that could be implemented in a variety of ways and only Elon has the authority to tell us what the actual implementation will look like.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I guess I just assumed the three components (front, battery, and rear casting) would be bolted together. It would be easy to automate, makes the vehicle easier to pair, and would make replacing the structural battery pack more manageable.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Was

Wasn't the Model S so strong it broke the crash testing machine? Hate to imagine what the CT will do..break the machine and then crash through the side of the building?
They're taking extra precautions, because the CT is so strong they're afraid that during the crash it can compress the target object into a point so dense it will, like CERN, create mini black holes which should self annihilate in a fraction of a second.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
They're taking extra precautions, because the CT is so strong they're afraid that during the crash it can compress the target object into a point so dense it will, like CERN, create mini black holes which should self annihilate in a fraction of a second.
Science!
Sponsored