Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
On reparability and crashes there's one thing that has been missed here.

Although the CT battery pack is structural and forms part of the passenger safety cell and will improve that considerably, I think it will be highly unlikely that damage to the structural battery pack can be repaired after even a moderate to low side impact and will result in a write-off, even if the frame and rest of the vehicle might not be that damaged. The battery pack is still the most expensive single component, so it might force the assessors hand either way.
I suppose the question is, how does that impact insurance rates. That's the main thing that concerns me.

If a structural battery pack provides sufficient cost reductions and other advantages, then the impact of the additional total losses won't matter.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
FullyGrounded is not fully grounded, not when it comes to logical thinking...

...I think we are safe in saying that no matter how Tesla alters the final version of the Cybertruck it will be done with safety as the number one priority just as they have done with all their vehicles. Is it a fact that they won't change course? Not technically, but it's raising really ridiculous concerns and doubts to think they will suddenly change.
That is EXACTLY what I am saying, that it could be done in many ways. Know, I have not said Tesla sucks and will let us die in their new Cybertruck. What I said was, "How small of a hit will it take to total my vehicle?".

How did you fail to see that? Is that my failing logic? Please don't personally attack me because I am simply asking questions. Hopefully you will have a nice life and enjoy your Cybertruck. And, If you ever wreck your Cybertruck, and find out things you didn't expect; know that I was thinking "outside of the proverbial box" for you. And, all you can think of is to slander me. Have a nice day! peace

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
That is EXACTLY what I am saying, that it could be done in many ways. Know, I have not said Tesla sucks and will let us die in their new Cybertruck. What I said was, "How small of a hit will it take to total my vehicle?".

How did you fail to see that? Is that my failing logic? Please don't personally attack me because I am simply asking questions. Hopefully you will have a nice life and enjoy your Cybertruck. And, If you ever wreck your Cybertruck, and find out things you didn't expect; know that I was thinking "outside of the proverbial box" for you. And, all you can think of is to slander me. Have a nice day! peace
Nothing personal, but I was responding to your continued insistence that we don't have any idea what kind of strategies Tesla will deploy with the Cybertruck when we actually have a very good idea based upon basic vehicle engineering principles and where Tesla's priorities lie. Tesla is not going to suddenly forget everything they know about protecting the battery because it would become a safety issue.

I'm confused why you are so worried about crashing your Cybertruck. As I've already pointed out, the purpose of insurance is to protect against financial loss. Are you planning to not insure it?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suppose the question is, how does that impact insurance rates. That's the main thing that concerns me.

If a structural battery pack provides sufficient cost reductions and other advantages, then the impact of the additional total losses won't matter.
Exactly! And Tesla entered the insurance business because they know that vehicle insurance is a substantial fraction of the total cost of ownership. They understand the balance between cost to produce and cost to repair and that a difficult to repair vehicle is going to have higher insurance rates and therefore a smaller eligible market.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Exactly! And Tesla entered the insurance business because they know that vehicle insurance is a substantial fraction of the total cost of ownership. They understand the balance between cost to produce and cost to repair and that a difficult to repair vehicle is going to have higher insurance rates and therefore a smaller eligible market.
Now they just need to expand Tesla insurance to the rest of the US...

I can say I'm not a fan of the driver monitoring... ugh... I do like to have a little fun when it's safe which is why I refuse the driver monitoring dongles etc. I suspect it's going to end up being mandatory eventually for every insurance company... so maybe I'll just occasionally pay a higher fee to have a little fun.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Now they just need to expand Tesla insurance to the rest of the US...

I can say I'm not a fan of the driver monitoring... ugh... I do like to have a little fun when it's safe which is why I refuse the driver monitoring dongles etc. I suspect it's going to end up being mandatory eventually for every insurance company... so maybe I'll just occasionally pay a higher fee to have a little fun.
The driver monitoring is supposed to be optional.

Also we have a difference of opinion on what's considered safe. I've seen countless courtroom videos and responses from people who have crashed their car to have a little "fun" and there is always some variable that someone didn't account for.

I have my fun at a track, the track even requires I wear a helmet when i'm there. As long as the app can determine when i'm at a Track to not judge my driving while i'm there, i'm more than happy for my driving data to determine how much i pay.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Emotions and feelings are not just based in facts tho. They're patterns in our brains 'guessing' at the data we've been given. And there are so many ways to introduce bias! We latch onto the first thing more than the second, we tend to choose majority even if it's basically tossup, and we abhor loss, even when the potential gain outweighs it mathematically. So many things make us feel stuff and then we have to navigate those feelings, not just facts.

-Crissa

OP
OP

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Emotions and feelings are not just based in facts tho. They're patterns in our brains 'guessing' at the data we've been given. And there are so many ways to introduce bias! We latch onto the first thing more than the second, we tend to choose majority even if it's basically tossup, and we abhor loss, even when the potential gain outweighs it mathematically. So many things make us feel stuff and then we have to navigate those feelings, not just facts.

-Crissa
Thank you for the explanation, Crissa. I'm just not used to discussing my opinions as fact. If I would ever do that, I would be called out and asked to cite my sources. I guess that is some of the problems we have run into in the world today, where so many lies were sewn as truth, and this even in our public schools.

So, what is truth or fact, really? I guess it just doesn't matter so much anymore. The importance is that we continue to think for ourselves, challenging the norms. peace

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
that only stops you from flying around the inside of the cabin or from being ejected.....if you're in a solid vehicle that didn't crumple the energy transfer in an impact to and through your body would kill you.
Well then maybe someone should invent some sort of gas bag to cushion the impact, on the steering wheel/dash and on the side.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, what is truth or fact, really? I guess it just doesn't matter so much anymore. The importance is that we continue to think for ourselves, challenging the norms. peace
Well, it matters in many cases, but in others... Well, we can get wedded to worrying about when we shouldn't.

Like, you know, that we can't know what the Cybertruck will be in six months or two years!

-Crissa

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
We do understand that the frame is like the backbone of the vehicle, right? And, now, we've taken and moved that from the protected, to that which protects and will take the brunt of damage.

Now, they will also crease it to allow for it to crumple. You've just made my back weaker. And, off road, that is so critical. Frames will flex if they can. Well, will it crumple? So many questions that Elon and physics need to answer. I'm, right now, not sold on an exoskeleton. I'm sure there are those that will beat on this exoskeleton body, and then we will see what the result is.
I think that was the original idea to have the stainless body and simply attach things to it, but I believe that might have all changed with the large casting front and rear and battery structure in between that has evolved. It looks like the truck body can simply be fit on top and attached to the three piece structure, with the evolution of the mega castings.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The body snaps together similar to Legos. A little bit of sealant and done.

80% tongue in cheek

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I notice you list your occupation as an investor. As you must know, investors must be able to discern fact from fiction in order to be successful. I'm wondering if you decided to invest in TSLA and, if so, when you pulled the trigger and what was the catalyst?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think that was the original idea to have the stainless body and simply attach things to it, but I believe that might have all changed with the large casting front and rear and battery structure in between that has evolved. It looks like the truck body can simply be fit on top and attached to the three piece structure, with the evolution of the mega castings.
I think the megacastings will be as light as possible and leverage the exoskeleton for strength, so neither doubles up on the other. Same withe the structural battery pack. This is how the CT will reduce weight to a minimum by optimising everything.

It also can't loose its "bulletproof" rating in the process so needs to keep some metal outside, which in turn makes the space frame stiffer and stronger. Lots of optimisation of everything.
Sponsored