Is there anyway to make the CyberTruck carjack proof, (so everyone knows you can't take this car)? It has to be a super cool way of course!!!

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
If they were smart, they wouldn't be stealing cars. There is no correlation between smarts and theft.

So you have one bad day, or there's smutz on the camera, and boom, you're toast?

Pin-to-drive is already a feature on Tesla.

There is no reason to expect stealing a Tesla will go well.

-Crissa
I guess you do not know what "" means in that context ( "SMART").

But thats ok.

Keep calm and CT on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Recently on the news was a story showing an armed car-jacker came running up to a Tesla owner and demanded the car. Fortunately the driver had the presence of mind to gun the accelerator and he zoomed away before the guy realized what had happened. The gunman did fire at the driver hitting the post that held the window, and not the driver!!!
We all know the CyberTruck is "bullet proof" ;-) to some degree so less damage would be done but still!!! I am figuring some kind of Panic button to make the car freakout, with the lights flashing, horn blaring in an obnoxious way, sure to bring attention to the situation would be the best way to stop a carjacking...
So, there is the ā€˜pin to driveā€™ feature that was used in a recent car jacking attempt where the driver got out of the car and the car hackers were left in an effectively undriveable car.

But the car already detects everything around it so you donā€™t even need a panic button; you just need a ā€˜panicā€™ setting that allows the AI to act defensively (and trust it to do something smarter and faster than you might). I know itā€™s a stretch but it is doable.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Carjacking is not a high priority; Theft is. I get carjacked? I can replace the CT. Carjacked downtown San Diego at a stoplight 1987, you have no-time to prevent a carjacking. My traffic situation changed making the jacking impossible or Iā€™d have been carjacked successfully. It taught that you have in-that-moment to escape, if at all. I was lucky to escape with the car albeit door opened. Yay Elon! No handles. Primary security exposure solved...

Theft? No fan of tying wet meat into a security protocol, human memory or security through obscurity. People get hurt in the first instance, as @Diehard pointed out. Stress is famous for blanking minds at critical moments in a memory PIN-type scheme. And obscurity is the safest as long as its never used. Used once if anyone notices ā€“ its no longer obscure.

Anti-theft? Airplanes use gust lock ā€œdefeatā€ mechanisms that make a plane non-operational for wind damage and theft. An auto favorite is the simple ā€œkill switchā€ which disables power to ignition. EVā€™s are an entirely different beast to steal.

Anti-theft on my CT will employ a combination of mechanical and non-operable conventions for before-the fact, anti-theft protection. Tesla already implement an OTA version of anti-theft for after-the-fact.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I just watch a video of an attempted car jack while the owner was gassing up his car. A van pulled up, three guys jumped out and owner hosed them all down with gasoline, spraying it into the truck as it speed away, leaving the guys totally soaked. I am disappointed I wonā€™t have that option with my new CT. Maybe we will able to zap them with high voltage..?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
There has to be a very super cool way to make the CyberTruck impossible to car-jack. I am hoping Elon comes up with a way to blow everyone's mind!
Yes, i figured it out. You need to get a car wrap that has semi insulated wires running in parallel strands with opposing charges. Think of an electric flyswatter wrap. You could vary the wire material and pattern to get cool (fly) affects and the wrap could keep it insulated from the exoskeleton. Obviously there would be some kind of cool concealed wiring system that gave the wrap its charge. And depending on the wiring you could isolate what areas were charged. Anyone that touched the car would get a good zap. To take it a step further you could mount a tesla coil sticking out of the bed with continuous bright purple and pink electron arching between the coil and the truck bed. I definitely would not touch a truck that had an active tesla coil sticking out of the roof. From what I read you could get a 4' arch with about 1500 watts. On the 100+ kWh battery you could run that sucker for a long time. Maybe tie it to a motion sensor for an even more surprising affect.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yes, i figured it out. You need to get a car wrap that has semi insulated wires running in parallel strands with opposing charges. Think of an electric flyswatter wrap. You could vary the wire material and pattern to get cool (fly) affects and the wrap could keep it insulated from the exoskeleton. Obviously there would be some kind of cool concealed wiring system that gave the wrap its charge. And depending on the wiring you could isolate what areas were charged. Anyone that touched the car would get a good zap. To take it a step further you could mount a tesla coil sticking out of the bed with continuous bright purple and pink electron arching between the coil and the truck bed. I definitely would not touch a truck that had an active tesla coil sticking out of the roof. From what I read you could get a 4' arch with about 1500 watts. On the 100+ kWh battery you could run that sucker for a long time. Maybe tie it to a motion sensor for an even more surprising affect.
You may have to sell your CT to pay for the lawyer because granny at supermarket parking lot got barbecued when her walker accidentally touched your door.

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Then again, it would be nice to have some high voltage pins in the seat that would stick out and electrocute the driver if facial recognition fails. An absolute necessity for CT and a good learning lesson for all the friends that want to borrow it.
That's all good until someone or some hostile country breaches the Tesla firewalls and electrocutes all of their owners. āš”āš”āš”?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
That's all good until someone or some hostile country breaches the Tesla firewalls and electrocutes all of their owners. āš”āš”āš”?
Fair point but if I was running DarkSide and broke through that firewall, zapping the owners would be the last thing I would do. The things I could do with all that juicy info from carā€™s GPS, microphone and camera are priceless. I would rather know the Tesla owner who happen to be a married congressman drove to her mistressā€™s place at noon than zap him and have Tesla lock me out of the system. People think there is money to be made when people are afraid but hackers do a lot better when people feel safe.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think the Cybertruck and any other Tesla is already hard and pretty stupid to steal. So there are pretty obvious explainations as why the very hard metal doors, the armor glass, and no handles will make it hard for someone to just break into a Tesla. However if they rob you in the parking lot or in some other unexpected way and also take your phone so that they can actually drive away with your vehicle, it's still a Tesla. Contact Tesla and the police and they will get your vehicle back and probably catch the people who took it unless they ditched it somewhere soon after stealing it.

Now I suspect sometime in the future, the Tesla will have some sort of Child mode for when it's level 4/5 and if it's legal for a self driving vehicle to pick up kids from school or something (i'm sure that'll be a huge debate in the future). So maybe in the future you can remotely activate this feature to lock the doors and program the FSD to take it somewhere. So the possibility of sending thieves to the Police could potentially be an option.

Now this probably won't be likely. Newer cars are already harder to steal and I think it's becoming pretty known that the current model EV's that have been coming out in the past few years, are heavily software controlled.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I have been saying it needs a touch activated tesla coil sitting in the bed of the truck. Totally doable with that battery pack.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
The best deterrent to any crime is "situational awareness".
If you are in a high risk area or a place you are unfamiliar with you need to keep alert for things that don't look or feel right.
When I was a Commercial driver I went to a lot of places where I had to park to wait to load or unload. This often meant sleeping in some very sketchy places in the sleeper area of my truck.
I was lucky that I rarely went to states where there were restrictive gun laws and I kept a 9mm cocked, locked and ready to rock under my pillow or within reach when I was in the drivers seat.
Being in the military also taught me about avoiding a fight unless pushed into it.
Carrying a firearm is a very serious responsibility.
Most of the time in a carjacking situation the perp is looking for a soft target. A female or a weak male who will hand over the vehicle or valuables without a fight.
In the best case the perp will just yank someone out of the car and drive off, worse case is someone gets shot or worse.
This usually happens fast and gives the perp the advantage of surprise which brings us back to situational awareness.
Always listen to that little voice in your head that tells you something may be amiss.
If the area is sketchy and you can get out and find another place to eat or get gas that is the best course of action.
The CT might give you more protection from a stray round or thrown object but if you are caught outside of it the game changes.
You have to make up your mind to what extent you are willing to resist.
I'm to slow to run and too old to take a beating so I exercise my Second Amendment right at all times.
Your mileage my vary.
Sponsored