Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It was next to an early prototype of the Model S. Somewhere between the Roadster and Model S programs Daimler contracted Tesla to produce battery packs and drive units for a Mercedes product. Similar to the Petersen exhibit, some Tesla artifacts were on display.
Years ago I was looking at those used Mercedes B-class. Tesla was heavily involved with them. Not only batteries but also the drive unit. What I didn't know until looking this up today, was that Diamler owned a 10% stake in Tesla at one time.
I guess that Mercedes was there as a claim from Tesla engineering. Also, Tesla built the drivetrain of the first Toyota Rav-4 EV. After a couple of years both companies ended their partnerships with Tesla.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Agree the cover is partially deployed, as better seen in this angle, and that it unfairly emphasizes the lack of visibility:

9388A90A-33BC-4FE1-9006-796EB9820706.jpeg

But still, there’s a reason the CT prototypes have a video-only rear view mirror.

It’s not as though the entire back end is glass, and that but for the vault cover being partially deployed there’s be an expanse of glass there to see through. different protos photographed below, and without any vault cover deployed (except in the purple photo the back window cover being partially up):

F4DB7B84-6215-46F2-A816-FE4DD3ABED60.jpeg

5EE5BEAA-6ACA-47B8-A672-9BE679C0E49B.jpeg
0CE8B0C1-6EA1-4784-9DDA-CD62E96224A2.jpeg

D8F6AB32-6D6E-467C-AC1F-7ECCAE69324B.jpeg
16A0A89C-B80F-4C7E-A01B-347ED1C630C6.jpeg

Then whatever the size of the glass, there’s the separate matter of that upswept tail end with tailgate and side sails.

To be fair to the CT, I can’t see much of anything out the back of my F-150 Lightning, either - that’s just modern truck design these days. That said, if I can’t see much out of the lightning, the CT looks like 1/2 that

all good - that’s what the video rearview is for
When I went to the Petersen and saw the first prototype, the one thing that stuck out when seeing it in person was that ALL the windows were short. Except the windshield of course. But, I hadn't noticed how the Cybertruck design has tall metal doors with small windows. It's similar to the original Hummer in that way. I personally didn't like that in my father-in-law's hummer when I rode in it. Luckily the Cybertruck has a huge glass top, so it will not have that feeling of being in a cave.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I believe this is their main "press" vehicle which is why the team is very gentile with it - hence the ramps. Otherwise, obviously the truck would have no problem climbing the curb.

It's just as likely they were worried about the landscaping.

You climb a curb, and there's resistance, until there isn't, and then truck lurches forward, spins it wheels, and tears the landscaping up......

"Or so I've been told"

Disclaimer: Statute of limitations on landscaping damage within an HOA is 10 years......

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's just as likely they were worried about the landscaping.

You climb a curb, and there's resistance, until there isn't, and then truck lurches forward, spins it wheels, and tears the landscaping up......

"Or so I've been told"

Disclaimer: Statute of limitations on landscaping damage within an HOA is 10 years......

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
For some here CT is their whole world... 🤣

--

The ramp was there to get all the other Teslas parked on the hill over the curb. So they just used it for the CT as well. Why wouldn't you?

Surfbigisland

First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
Agreed. That was not meant to impress people but obviously haters are gonna make fun of the ramp. A few counter points to that are:

The ramp was probably needed for the M3, MY
It could be protecting some landscaping feature
That's is $$$$ prototype for show

All that said, I wouldn't mind at some point seeing videos of CT's getting put through the ringer on test tracks/courses.
YES! I think this truck is going to be the most bad ass rugged civilian truck ever made. Always remember, the haters saying you can't land reusable rockets, while Space-X wrests NASA contracts from Boeing. LOL

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I clicked on a youtube Vid yesterday about the abundance of stock in Ford dealer lots.

Turns out many lightings on dealer lots were from customers who didn't go through with the order. Ford says it has a 200,000 backlog.. if so, you would think the car would have been offered to the next person in line.

Just proposing, price increases, poor towing capacity and poor cold weather performance has hit sales.

Just maybe more people than we realize could be waiting for CT pricing and specs.

Kentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Notice the hitch
the portions
the tonneau closed
the wheels
the suspension
the mirrors
still has rear door panel
grill is blacked and not so silver like we saw a few weeks ago
Doesn't look so small

1677115285511.jpeg

1677115303791.jpeg

I am really hopeful that the rear window rolls all the way down. There is plenty of room for it to do so.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I am really hopeful that the rear window rolls all the way down. There is plenty of room for it to do so.
The midgate window would have to be flexible to fit through the z-bend of the midgate bulkhead. There's no room for a solid glass piece to slide down.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Turns out many lightings on dealer lots were from customers who didn't go through with the order. Ford says it has a 200,000 backlog.. if so, you would think the car would have been offered to the next person in line.
I've heard people are refusing delivery because they are missing chips/functionality that they were promised (heated steering wheel, etc).

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
The midgate window would have to be flexible to fit through the z-bend of the midgate bulkhead. There's no room for a solid glass piece to slide down.
Glass does into gate, gate folds down. That's how I see it.

That glass is short, it would fit.
Sponsored