Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Does he have to spell out everything, by recognize you he means it will recognize your phone and open the door for you.
Sponsored

marc.m3

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It wouldn't have to be a very complicated system either just a spring and latch that releases when your phone is recognized. My Model 3 already recognizes when I get near it all they have to do is tell the computer to release the door and the spring will open it up. Probably less complicated then having a door handle.

Steelheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Corolla
Occupation
PA
Country flag
Not a fan of no door handles. For a vehicle that boasts offroading and rugged durability, this is a concern.

However, there must be a reason for it. I’m thinking it has to do with securing the structural integrity of the doorframe and glass. Also cheaper to produce single steel sheets than to cut our holes for handles. Any engineers who can speak with intelligence to this possibility?

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
Agreed!

I can't get past the idea that when there are tens of millions and then hundreds of millions of EVs out there they can do a substantial part in stabilizing the grid. Who needs huge battery farms when you have a huge, distributed battery farm.

You can assuage people's fears if cycle life impact by guaranteeing that the utility will only take say 10-20% of range, once a week. In a world where EVs will be plugged in a lot in different places, work, home, malls etc. they seem like a resource we could be using more effectively.

Plus I like the idea of a battery backup in case of power outage without having to buy a Powerwall.
If you can access 240v power for a tool or job site, one would be able to charge their home panel on just that cord. Not recommended as regular Joe’s will either blow up their own system or the transformer as soon as the power comes back on. But I theory the cybertruck could be treated the same as a generator if in fact you can plug in to it for 240. 120 would work for half of your home minus the 240 appliances… food for thought. Not everything has to be controlled by apps and software… looking forward to the truck, handles or no?

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
If you can access 240v power for a tool or job site, one would be able to charge their home panel on just that cord. Not recommended as regular Joe’s will either blow up their own system or the transformer as soon as the power comes back on. But I theory the cybertruck could be treated the same as a generator if in fact you can plug in to it for 240. 120 would work for half of your home minus the 240 appliances… food for thought. Not everything has to be controlled by apps and software… looking forward to the truck, handles or no?
excuse me… electrify not charge…

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yep, it's a good point. It would be a lot simpler if this was already wired and the CT's charging cable could supply the juice but the outlets in the truck will suffice if there isn't that option.

Looking forward to the truck too!

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I don't intend on using the phone as key feature, but i can just turn that feature off so no issue. NFC on the pillar as a key is just fine for me, i want to tap on to use the car, like when i tap onto JR East or the Shinkansen. It makes me feel like i'm an anime character in the future. Even though at this point it's old tech.
No handles doesn't bug me. If you want to be Luddite, just TIG on some stainless cabinet handles from an oven or something.

https://lockandhandle.com.au/product/square-stainless-steel-kitchen-cabinet-handles/

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. SS handle

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...managing a home's electricity usage from the vehicle while trying to protect the vehicles battery is more complex than what i think will be offered initially. maybe this could be something they turn on later or as a perk like the unlocked range in emergencies(hurricanes) I just dont think it will be there out of the box.
Powerwalls already do all this.

There's nothing to be added to the car, other than allowing the linkage. It's just software.

-Crissa

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
The no door handles thing is what Elon calls "principle first" design. This is an assumption on my part. The handle being presented to you has a lot of challenges with small moving parts. The handle being always exposed increases the drag coefficient. The train of thought is, "what about no part?"
While non traditional, the idea of using technology to simply remove mechanical parts is certainly a good one imho.

Then again, everything is just an idea until it's actually tried. Maybe the no door handles idea will fail miserably. But I doubt it.
I suspect that as much as anything, this is because of the cost of the work of installing all those small mechanical moving parts in the 3mm thick ultra-strong stainless steel exoskeleton body panels...!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm suew
It wouldn't have to be a very complicated system either just a spring and latch that releases when your phone is recognized. My Model 3 already recognizes when I get near it all they have to do is tell the computer to release the door and the spring will open it up. Probably less complicated then having a door handle.
The mechanism on the X is substantially more complicated than what you imply. You don't want the door to just pop open. You want it to open a safe distance. Thus there are sensors on it to see how far it can open without, for example, bouncing off the door of the car parked next to it. And and how do you get it closed with just a spring? So, of course, rather than a spring the door is actuated by a motor. And how do you get it to open if it is frozen shut? There is a little solenoid that gives it a push from inside.

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
I agree, and there may be times when you don't want your doors to automatically open for security reasons.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Please include car to grid charging...Ford already includes it as well as hyundai, Lucid, Polestar....Let keep striving for grid independence sooner than later
As a renter, I agree. However, Tesla wouldn't want the vehicles to compete with the solar bidness.

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
Agreed. I think the ecosystem has changed A LOT since the original roadster. We added solar at the beginning of the year but opted not to include battery at the time. We have a reservation for CT3 and our plan is to use it for emergency backup power. Not as automated as Powerwall option but our grid is very stable, out maybe a handful of times in the last 14 years, not more that a few hours. Battery would be low value add. CT3 roughly equal to 7 Powerwalls and when the grid isn't out, it's still a truck, battery just hangs there. Way better value. V2G automation would be optimal but worse case, throw the transfer switch and plug the house into the truck's 220 outlet. Done.
I was looking at solar panels for my roof, but the battery costs will be coming down SO much before I get my Cybertruck that I'd rather not pay today's prices for the battery walls.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Why is everyone so freaked about the no handle thing? Has no one ever had or at least seen a shaved classic car with poppers? This is seriously not anything new, just a higher tech version of poppers.
I'm 65 years old now, this is a photo of me and our family car with poppers. Any guess what year this was?

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. photo1_r2_c5_f2
Sponsored