Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
No worries. All they's have to do is break the wind... oh. Never mind. :)
Sponsored

FHWizard

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester Sport, M3 LR, MY LR, CT tri reserv
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The military academy in the background closed in 58, I'm thinking this photo was 59 because I have a photo of our next car in 1960. It was a 58 Ford Fairlane.

photo1_r2_c5.jpg
That looked familiar when I saw it, this must have been the classic pose for the times:
Here's My Dad and me around the same time: (1960)
Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. ###dad4b

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Purchased my new F150 PB, dealer hands over the key fob, I walk out to the truck and all the gosh dang lights were on. Took me a day or two, truck turns on “Zone Lightning” each time it sees the key fob. Turning lights on? Opening doors???? What’s next?????

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
First responders are typically other road users that don't have training or tools to get you out. A handle gives you a clear point of entry for those that don't know, and a place to exert some amount of force to open a door. Same for when the door is iced over. If its only a latch, i wonder how dirty and scratched up the door will get when you grab the edge to open it.

I'd like to see their solution for this.

As for V2G, V2H and V2V and battery and inverter less PV charging, Orca already make a solution for that. But Tesla really need to include it as it will cost them next to nothing in hardware it software to do.

We done some numbers on another thread and it works out that if you only have 10% of EVs plugged in via V2G at home at any time, you'd have enough capacity to run SC chargers for everyone else that needs them, who normally don't charge at home or work via a L2. And you'd be able to do that with only cycling the EV battery less than 15%.

That is scalable too, so small remote low capacity grids with even just 100 EVs would work. It would also allow greater PV penetration in those grids, which would in turn reduce power costs. No brainer... Tesla needs to do their numbers.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I remember the force I pulled the door with after an ice-rain.
How about the hydraulic door openers for Canada please?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am not worried about handleless doors.

I do worry about charge access to the 12v battery if it gets discharged and the truck is sealed. I rather use jumper cables to energize and open the truck versus a roadside assistant call

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
:alien: One more step on the road to solving real world vision! :alien:
How do you get on the list? When do you get kicked off the list?
#hal9000 #imsorrydave

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
First responders are typically other road users that don't have training or tools to get you out. A handle gives you a clear point of entry for those that don't know, and a place to exert some amount of force to open a door. Same for when the door is iced over. If its only a latch, i wonder how dirty and scratched up the door will get when you grab the edge to open it.

I'd like to see their solution for this.
As I understand it the pop mechanism is designed to pop the door open even when heavily iced over. My personal experience is I have broken the lift up style handles off of a few rides I have owned more than once when the door was iced over more than I realized. I have not heard or read of anyone where the modern pop style systems failed to open a frozen over door.

I mean "come on man" if Ford put this style of opener on their Mustang Mach E and they know all about cars and trucks its got to be good right? :ROFLMAO:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs. No external door knobs combined with bullet proof exterior = extremely unsafe if I get in an accident and go unconscious - no one will be able to get me out!
LOL for the last time. If you're unconscious in an accident, rescuers will likely bust out your window just to save time. A car with standard handles, they'll pull your handle then just the window because your door won't open since the frame is now warped.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
As I understand it the pop mechanism is designed to pop the door open even when heavily iced over. My personal experience is I have broken the lift up style handles off of a few rides I have owned more than once when the door was iced over more than I realized. I have not heard or read of anyone where the modern pop style systems failed to open a frozen over door.

I mean "come on man" if Ford put this style of opener on their Mustang Mach E and they know all about cars and trucks its got to be good right? :ROFLMAO:
This depends on the handle and the mechanism used to pop it. If its electric/hydraulic/air the supply line might also be damaged in the crash. They would need an accumulator at the point of supply by the lock then to open it. Also everyone knows what a handle does on a door. As I said before I'm waiting to see their solutions for this.

BTW I don't rate vehicles by brand just by their engineering merit. Ford does many good things, and some bad, like most other manufacturers with some integrity. So for me saying that if Ford can do it surely Tesla can is fairly meaningless. Falcon wing doors on the MX comes to mind.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
If the recognition is based on face, try not to train it to recognize when you are TOO hairy. Wouldn’t want it to start recognizing bears and opening the doors for them.
I'm sorry, I had to!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
LOL for the last time. If you're unconscious in an accident, rescuers will likely bust out your window just to save time. A car with standard handles, they'll pull your handle then just the window because your door won't open since the frame is now warped.
Not all crashes that make you unconscious result in deformation of the door frame, let alone more than one door frame. The frames is the safety cell of the vehicle and is specifically designed NOT to deform to keep the passengers safe within the cell. This also means it is very likely the doors aren't jammed, and definitely not all of them at once. Teslas don't roll well either because the low center of mass due to the batteries. (unless you're t boned from both sides or something rare like that).

The other thing is that most "first responders" are other road users without tools or training not emergency services with tools and training that can get you out. They take a while to get there, by which time it might be too late.
Sponsored

Last edited: