Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Yes he did. But it is clear he doesn't think it will flop. He's saying he thinks it's revolutionary and awesome, and you need to take risks to be innovative. Sometimes those risks end in flops, and what he's saying is that because something flops doesn't make it not worth trying. You'll only know of it was a flop, after it flops.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes he did. But it is clear he doesn't think it will flop. He's saying he thinks it's revolutionary and awesome, and you need to take risks to be innovative. Sometimes those risks end in flops, and what he's saying is that because something flops doesn't make it not worth trying. You'll only know of it was a flop, after it flops.
Just saying.....

bad61

First Name
TODD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 volt and 2013 ford ev getting cybertruck
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
Just in from Elon:

In end, we kept production design almost exactly same as show car. Just some small tweaks here & there to make it slightly better. No door handles. Car recognizes you & opens door. Having all four wheels steer is amazing for nimble handling & tight turns!

What happens when the self opening doors on a windy day.

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
If you're watching the Tegtmeyer drone videos of the progress building the Austin Gigafactory (as I do... it's updated every two days... here is today's video: ) it's pretty damned obvious that Musk is convinced (and helped no doubt by the fact that there are more than a million of them under deposit!!) that the Cybertruck is going to be a HUGE success. :)

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
If you're watching the Tegtmeyer drone videos of the progress building the Austin Gigafactory (as I do... it's updated every two days... here is today's video: ) it's pretty damned obvious that Musk is convinced (and helped no doubt by the fact that there are more than a million of them under deposit!!) that the Cybertruck is going to be a HUGE success. :)
Exactly. No way he actually thinks it will flop.

Btw, i do watch both of those drone guys videos and I've come to the conclusion that Austin giga factory is the single most watched building construction in history. Which is amazing, because it's a factory, not something like the rebuilding of Notre Dame cathedral. It's almost like the sci Fi futures Notre Dame cathedral.

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
Exactly. No way he actually thinks it will flop.

Btw, i do watch both of those drone guys videos and I've come to the conclusion that Austin giga factory is the single most watched building construction in history. Which is amazing, because it's a factory, not something like the rebuilding of Notre Dame cathedral. It's almost like the sci Fi futures Notre Dame cathedral.
I think there are actually FOUR channels tracking Gigafactory Austin (and several more tracking Berlin and Shanghai)... According to Joe:
"Be sure to check out additional Texas Gigafactory footage on these channels: @Terafactory Texas @Jeff Roberts @Texas Terafactory"
....but based on what I've seen, I like Joe's the best. I go to the others sometimes just when I'm even more eager to get the latest updates!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
it's pretty damned obvious that Musk is convinced (and helped no doubt by the fact that there are more than a million of them under deposit!!) that the Cybertruck is going to be a HUGE success
I'm not sure Musk cares if the Cybertruck is a success or not. He's building the car he wants to build and anyone who wants to come along for the ride can join him. Even if demand tapers off after the initial rush, Tesla will almost certainly make a profit on it. Then any production lines which are idled can be repurposed for other projects. You can be certain that the 8,000 pound press will be useful for the Semi and any passenger van in Tesla's future.

The Cybertruck reminds me a lot of the Honda Element and the Subaru Baja. People who bought one, absolutely love them, but they were both commercially a "Flop". Now they sell for a mint on the used market because they are still well loved... flops.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I'm not sure Musk cares if the Cybertruck is a success or not. He's building the car he wants to build and anyone who wants to come along for the ride can join him. Even if demand tapers off after the initial rush, Tesla will almost certainly make a profit on it. Then any production lines which are idled can be repurposed for other projects. You can be certain that the 8,000 pound press will be useful for the Semi and any passenger van in Tesla's future.

The Cybertruck reminds me a lot of the Honda Element and the Subaru Baja. People who bought one, absolutely love them, but they were both commercially a "Flop". Now they sell for a mint on the used market because they are still well loved... flops.
It's funny cause i was actually trying to decide what a flop would entail for a truck earlier. I have a v1 Ridgeline which i know is not a super successful truck but has been continually produced for 15 years. Ridgeline owners generally love them as well, regardless of it's perception by the overall truck market. This would be the closest continually produced truck flop analogy. They have sold 448,211, approx 30k units/yr across all years in the two markets i could find sales figures on USA and Canada (assuming that's the only places it's sold). At that 15 year figure, the cyber truck is already not a flop within the first two years, even if 40% presales translate to actual sales.

While i think the ct it's going to have a sizeable fanbase of around 3-5 million sales throughout all preorders and non preorders in the first 5 years, i do believe there is finite demand limited to that sizeable hardcore fanbase of owners which front loads the sales figures. 3-5 million is not a small amount. And if they can continually pull in additional sales near the 100k units annually figure, that is no flop at all.

But it's also not top dog in truck market.. Not even close. If they want to knock Ford off the top, they need more than one truck model. If they do that, they own the truck market.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
...where you gish-gallop based upon their scare mongering? Yes, I ignored it.

-Crissa
Well no point discussing anything with you if you ignore my resposnses. Just makes it a conversation where I talk to myself.

So specifically then what is the "scare mongering" part that you don't like? The fact that if every residential customer stops using the grid the grid will cease to exist because no one is paying for it?

Because this is what I'm achieving one suburb at at time because I am NOT even installing grid power in the suburbs I develop and making them all off-grid because it is better value for the customers and the business.

I don't see how it is a worse outcome for the customers to get free solar energy for the next 20 years rather than paying the same as just a metered grid connection point, where you still have to pay for power for the next 20 years, and won't be allowed to have any solar if your connected to the grid either.

That is better, much better, not worse. No fear required. No grid or political motivations either.

(Note the generatoon and property devopments projects are 600km apart, on a different grid)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's funny cause i was actually trying to decide what a flop would entail for a truck earlier.
The nice thing about being vague is it makes it easy for your prediction to come true.

I think it would be considered a flop if Tesla stopped producing them after a few years. Similar to the way The Element was a "Flop".

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The nice thing about being vague is it makes it easy for your prediction to come true.

I think it would be considered a flop if Tesla stopped producing them after a few years. Similar to the way The Element was a "Flop".
Sounds good to me. As long as we can all agree The Fifth Element was no flop! Then that's fighting words!
Sponsored