Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
At some point energy storage will be so embedded the grid will be mostly redundant.

Have a look at powertools, notebooks, phones, evs. How do you make the grid or anything wireless? Embedded storage. Imagine you go shopping and take a weeks worth of power back from the supermarket SC along with your groceries.
Here's my solar experience in CA as far as this is concerned.

We purchased our home in the South corner of the Mojave Desert, connected to the grid, on propane, and on it's own well. We're pretty rural and live on a vineyard and winery.
The problem I immediately faced was power outages. Being new to owning a well, I quickly realized that not having power in the summer was NOT an option. I also quickly realized that owning an EV for most of our driving, pumping your own water, and needing AC to survive was putting us into the top tier of electricity EVERY MONTH, between $400-600 / month. Mostly because they will scale your costs VERY QUICKLY if you use more than they want you to.

When communicating with SCE (Southern California Edison), they didn't care if owned an EV or had to pump my own water, I wouldn't be getting a discount. We we use more electricity out of necessity, but by SCE standards we were excessive users.

Were we live, there is only SCE, they can charge us anything they want, there's absolutely no competition.

So I wised up. When the loan rates fell recenty, we bundled $60000 (no tax benefit) worth of solar and battery back up into our mortgage and paid Tesla outright for the system.

Of course SCE had to be notified. Our electricity per kwh went from $0.43 to $0.15. Sounds great? NO. Now they're only paying me $0.15 when I give them electricity and still expect to charge me $0.43 to use it. Knowing this in advance, we overbuilt the system and got the largest Tesla offered.

Currently, we generate WAY more than we'll ever use, kicked SCE to the curb, and they owe us instead--even if they do pay us garbage for it. Here's some quick math:
My mortage (WITHOUT A BETTER INTEREST RATE, which we did get *yay*) went up about $180 / month.... ouch, right? But wait, there's more! SCE now owes us $2000 (ish) a year in electricity, bringing total cost addition to about $200 / year, $17 / month for electricity (not including "service" fees, which aren't much anyway and can't be avoided if you're connected). This also included removing all gas appliances, charging at home as much as possible, and pumping our own water for us and a vineyard--though humans use WAY more than vines do...
Now if I include the $14k we got in rolling federal tax credit... well, it's gonna take me a few years to use it all, but now I'm getting PAID for this purchase in a way. But since I bundled it with the refi, my montly mortgage isn't going to change either way.

YES, it cost $60k to buy--more like increased how much I owe on my home by $60k. NO, I'm not giving my electricity to some "benevolent" entity that installed it for free and still pay a monthly electricity bill. YES, because I keep my electricity and sell if for myself (leased solar is a joke), I basically pay a net of nearly nothing. YES, it also means I don't have a water bill, gas bill (swapped to all electric appliances), or a car gas bill (we almost exclusively charge at home unless on a trip). NO, I did NOT get any fancy "thx for living in CA, here's free solar" from a youtube ad, all paid for myself. NO, I am not rich.

Happy to share data if more are interested, but this is the CT club, not the "how to fight the man" club, haha.

Last edited:

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
I read somewhere (in a thread) the CT production line is being built and test run in Fremont and will be shipped to Austin once the space for it is ready there to deploy.

This will have considerable consequences on the timeline, and could potentially bring everything forward. It makes sense, IMHO to build the CT line in Fremont first. Because they already have all the people there to make it and tune it and operate it. Starting the line in Austin would be a headache, because you'd have to get the tools and people there to do it, but then you'd have to wait for Austin to be finshed first.

I think we might be in for a surprise.
It would be almost as hard to install the CT line in Fremont as to install it in Austin... especially stuff like like the 8,000 ton Gigapress. Installing it in Fremont and then moving it to Austin just doesn't make sense. I expect ALL the CTs are going to be built in Austin.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Your link is an industry group engaging in regulatory capture to lock out competition.

That's literally a group involved and pushing FUD. No facts.

-Crissa
How do you expect generators to pay for networks to transport their power to residential consumers if they no longer buy the power from the grid, because it falls on their head from the sun instead? South Australia is a classic example of what happens if you have to much RE and not enough baseload OR no embedded storage. Or another example closer to home, I have a dispatchable baseload 1.4MW renewable generator that exports to the grid, and they offered to pay $170,000 for a measely 24MWh of dispatchable capacity, because the alternative was a $35million substation upgrade because there was to much solar on the grid. The problem was, for a few hours a year, when it was hot in summer, everyone would crank up their Aircon, that worked fine in the day time when the sun was out, but as soon as it set the grid would go down because the grid couldn't handle the aircon load. 2-3 times a week in a metro suburb.

So whats your argument here that we have to keep the grid?? Even if consumers no longer can afford to pay for it, because off grid is already cheaper if you do it right?

Simply grid is yesterdays tech. All you need to do is buffer enough sunlight with embedded storage. Especially so for households.

BTW also as a property developer that needs to deal with networks all the time, theres another "hustle" grids have, in that as condition of your sub-division approval to split your property and sell smaller lots, the gov says you must install underground power and connect to the grid. The joke is if you do connect you can't install solar, because the grid is already over 70% RE and there is no spinning reserve capacity left.

So what do you do? Get the minister to give you an exemption to go off-grid, so your property customers get free solar off grid power for the next 20 years at the same price as putting in underground power. :cool:

PS AEMC and AEMO are gov bodies to ensure energy supply and stability. The price is to make sure they can reduce oversupply of uncontrolled solar exports to ensure grid stability. (Overvoltage) Because they can't turn off any more of the baseload generation.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It would be almost as hard to install the CT line in Fremont as to install it in Austin... especially stuff like like the 8,000 ton Gigapress. Installing it in Fremont and then moving it to Austin just doesn't make sense. I expect ALL the CTs are going to be built in Austin.
The gigapress isn't required for initial layout of the assembly line. Many of the sub-potion of the lines are separate, self-contained, from seats to batteries.

The point was that they already have a trained staff in Fremont, all of their tools, and can work on the layout until the space in Austin is ready for them to install it there. Then the staff moves out there, begins hiring there, and puts together the line that they'd been working on designing for the last year.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you expect...
That seems to be a different issue than my pointing out that's an industry group lying about the current state of affairs.

-Crissa

PS, Grid is not yesterday's tech. I can't get enough solar to do more than power a few lights. Where am I supposed to get power from? What about when there's weather? Or apartments?

Grid supplied power lets me buy solar from my neighbor that does get sun exposure. From the wind turbines off the coast. From the hydro up in the mountains. From the gas turbines burning off the excess leaking from the old mines and landfills.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That seems to be a different issue than my pointing out that's an industry group lying about the current state of affairs.

-Crissa

PS, Grid is not yesterday's tech. I can't get enough solar to do more than power a few lights. Where am I supposed to get power from? What about when there's weather? Or apartments?

Grid supplied power lets me buy solar from my neighbor that does get sun exposure. From the wind turbines off the coast. From the hydro up in the mountains. From the gas turbines burning off the excess leaking from the old mines and landfills.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Maybe you mean something different by grid defection?

AEMC and AEMO are there from the gov to make sure the lights stay on. That only works if you can modulate solar input into the grid and retain enough spinning reserve capacity to cope with fluctuations.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I correct myself, 1956 BelAir
You were correct both times. That was my dads 56 Bel Air, and the photo was taken around 1959. The other interesting fact is that the photo was taken in Pacific Beach, and the buildings in the background are the Brown Military Academy, which was closed down in 1958. That location is near Garnet and Lamont, where they built the Pacific Beach Shopping Center in the 60s.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Here's my solar experience in CA as far as this is concerned.

We purchased our home in the South corner of the Mojave Desert, connected to the grid, on propane, and on it's own well. We're pretty rural and live on a vineyard and winery.
The problem I immediately faced was power outages. Being new to owning a well, I quickly realized that not having power in the summer was NOT an option. I also quickly realized that owning an EV for most of our driving, pumping your own water, and needing AC to survive was putting us into the top tier of electricity EVERY MONTH, between $400-600 / month. Mostly because they will scale your costs VERY QUICKLY if you use more than they want you to.

When communicating with SCE (Southern California Edison), they didn't care if owned an EV or had to pump my own water, I wouldn't be getting a discount. We we use more electricity out of necessity, but by SCE standards we were excessive users.

Were we live, there is only SCE, they can charge us anything they want, there's absolutely no competition.

So I wised up. When the loan rates fell recenty, we bundled $60000 (no tax benefit) worth of solar and battery back up into our mortgage and paid Tesla outright for the system.

Of course SCE had to be notified. Our electricity per kwh went from $0.43 to $0.15. Sounds great? NO. Now they're only paying me $0.15 when I give them electricity and still expect to charge me $0.43 to use it. Knowing this in advance, we overbuilt the system and got the largest Tesla offered.

Currently, we generate WAY more than we'll ever use, kicked SCE to the curb, and they owe us instead--even if they do pay us garbage for it. Here's some quick math:
My mortage (WITHOUT A BETTER INTEREST RATE, which we did get *yay*) went up about $180 / month.... ouch, right? But wait, there's more! SCE now owes us $2000 (ish) a year in electricity, bringing total cost addition to about $200 / year, $17 / month for electricity (not including "service" fees, which aren't much anyway and can't be avoided if you're connected). This also included removing all gas appliances, charging at home as much as possible, and pumping our own water for us and a vineyard--though humans use WAY more than vines do...
Now if I include the $14k we got in rolling federal tax credit... well, it's gonna take me a few years to use it all, but now I'm getting PAID for this purchase in a way. But since I bundled it with the refi, my montly mortgage isn't going to change either way.

YES, it cost $60k to buy--more like increased how much I owe on my home by $60k. NO, I'm not giving my electricity to some "benevolent" entity that installed it for free and still pay a monthly electricity bill. YES, because I keep my electricity and sell if for myself (leased solar is a joke), I basically pay a net of nearly nothing. YES, it also means I don't have a water bill, gas bill (swapped to all electric appliances), or a car gas bill (we almost exclusively charge at home unless on a trip). NO, I did NOT get any fancy "thx for living in CA, here's free solar" from a youtube ad, all paid for myself. NO, I am not rich.

Happy to share data if more are interested, but this is the CT club, not the "how to fight the man" club, haha.
Well done!

You just need to find the right levers and fulcrums levage the systems to your benefit. If you can still make an income from being grid connected, go for it. Here we can't even install solar if you are on the grid.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Well done!

You just need to find the right levers and fulcrums levage the systems to your benefit. If you can still make an income from being grid connected, go for it. Here we can't even install solar if you are on the grid.
WTF, are you serious?!

Yes, I'm still grid connected. But rather I'm connected to make money, not actually use it. When we've done heavy car charging we have run our batteries dry, in that case the grid is very useful.

Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. Screenshot_20210716-132305
Tesla Cybertruck Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors. Screenshot_20210716-132256

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Seriously dude use your words mate!

What FUD am I being fed?? I gave you examples from my own power station and why it is technically so, and yet I believe someone else, because theres an invested group that wants it so, that you don't agree with?

Please explain for a dumb Aussie. :eek:

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
WTF, are you serious?!

Yes, I'm still grid connected. But rather I'm connected to make money, not actually use it. When we've done heavy car charging we have run our batteries dry, in that case the grid is very useful.

Screenshot_20210716-132305.png
Screenshot_20210716-132256.png
Yep serious. Most of rural WA is like that because the grid is so thin. We're actually on a microgrid with 70% renewables already, they only run low load diesels for spinning reserve. (Normal generation can't run under 50% load, these can go to 10% so we can use more RE - mostly wind and solar)

I like your power exports. :giggle:

PS more info here: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...l-steering-self-opening-doors.3432/post-59011

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Lots of off topic conversation for a thread titled;

Latest From Musk: Production Cybertruck almost exactly same but better. No door handles. 4 wheel steering. Self opening doors.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Behold, the jaws of life. Other acceptable answers would be angle grinder and pry bar.

The glass is tough, but not indestructible. The kinetics of a striking tool, sustained pressure and cutting tools is vastly different than impact of steel balls, bullets and neighborhood cats. I think firefighters will be just fine.

FDIC041119-Hurst1.jpg
Will this fit in the CT Glovebox?
Sponsored