Let's be honest - who disliked and/or was repulsed by the Cybertruck when they first saw it?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 AWD LR M3, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I was definitely shocked when I first saw it. Liked it and hated at the same time. The more I looked at the specs the more I was blown away and have to have it. I ordered it the morning after the reveal and kept going over every image I could find of the CT on the net, until it dawned on me. The two dimensional side view is what I hated. From that perspective it looks drawn by a grade school child. Every 3 dimensional view I loved and appreciated what had been created. Still to this day I hate that 2 dimension image.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The two dimensional side view is what I hated. From that perspective it looks drawn by a grade school child. Every 3 dimensional view I loved and appreciated what had been created. Still to this day I hate that 2 dimension image.
That's what I loved about it! Such simplicity. But I knew people would have that viseral reaction, since... I'd drawn and plotted such things in grade school. Hee.

-Crissa

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Shocked initially, but my wife liked it as soon as she saw it. Specs and price were the clincher.

if it wasn’t this, we were close to ordering a model X.

Joe Maw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fairlane
Occupation
Miner
Country flag
When I saw it for the first time I thought,this is so different it will go down in history as a classic car.
I orded it on the night of the release.
My friends couldnt believe I ordered one ,they said how could you drive around something that ugly.
My reply to them is....Mate I will be driving it you will be the ones looking at it.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was fascinated by it on the reveal. Actually a combination of shock and awe; “WTF & OMG!” Jaw hanging down, brain short circuiting. I’ve wanted an EV for a long time. Even longer I have wanted an SUV/Jeep. At the different stages of my life these things never fit. Jeep became impractical for my family. Hummer was a fantasy vehicle but so impractical as it costs, fuel consumption, and upkeep were astronomical compared to my salary and school requirements. My wife’s RAV4 is “nice,” but underwhelming and uses gasoline.
This thing was freaking crazy! It looked almost like the nuclear-powered snow plow I designed in 6th grade. This was radical and yet fascinating.

The night of the reveal had so much to change my mind and yet I resisted. Radical design. Cost (I’m cheap.).. I could not get it out of my head. Kept watching the reveal video. Shock became love. Had filled out the order form multiple times and held back. The more I researched CT the more I wanted it.

Then in late April I made the decision. I did not expect to find over 650,000 pre-orders. You can now call me obsessed about it.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
When I first saw the CT on the reveal I didnt have a OMG moment, but more of a " If the price is right and lets what the interior looks like"

I was sold after Elon announced the price and the videos of people going for rides.

I am going to wait, I feel after a while the dual motor will have an extended range option. No need for a 2.9 0-60 time

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First impression: O-O-O-OK Different!?!?!? But I have a truck that will last me the rest of my life, why trade. Then I go to the beach to windsurf..all that salt water...be sure to rinse the gear...hope no one dings my truck in the parking lot (like new 2015 very low mileage 16K)..have to stop on the way home for GAS (wonder what it’s up to now?)...DAMN another $70 oil change...it would be nice to have a few more sensors etc. Later, another day a fellow windsurfer pulls up at the windsurfing site in his new M3, gear stuffed inside (that’s a lot of room, just one board though, I usually have 2 to 4 boards, still pretty nice). Then thinking about that CT I saw 3 months earlier, stainless, dent proof, no paint, no oil, no gas, lockable bed (hope back window goes down, better still back seats fold down for more space [wonder how many boards I can get in?]). Carries six people, good for 300+ miles (hope to be more after battery day, if not maybe optional additional battery size) 0 to 60 speed faster than I need, but with dual motors won’t be stranded if one motor craps out. Also cost less than a MY! OK.. A hundred down for a dual CT, under 50K before add-ons taxes etc. (just like any normal truck). A month later FSD going up by $1000, what the hell, in for 50K what’s another 7K, done deal. So now I have wait till mid 2023, I know my truck will make it (probably less than 30K by then), just hope I last that long!!! There you have it, NOT SO short and sweet.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Lets call it $60k with destination fee, taxes, some basic options and FSD.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lets call it $60k with destination fee, taxes, some basic options and FSD.
Figure $57,000 for CT add $1000 shipping to Miami, Fl plus $3480 state tax (no trade-in) plus $50 miami-dade county tax plus $225 tag and fees = $61,755 (may as well round to $62,000) options to be add at order time!

Please see my go-fund-me site at #I-NEED-CT-CASH-IN-THREE-YEARS ?????????

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Cybertruck had such a huge hype in the predays, then many
conception drawings were surfacing. With many I thought
had awesome ideas, I was sure Elon's design team would be
even better. On reveal day when Cybertruck drove onto the stage I thought it was part of the show still in progress it was
just an experimental for future vehicle. Minutes later I start to
realize the truck I wanted to see was not following Cybertruck
on stage. I was thinking this is really a bad joke and I needed a serious explanation. I lost interest immediately I was about to turn off the event when I thought but what about the capabilities.
I have to replace a car I own, 1994 Discovery and being in Montana it has earned it's keep. It had taken me a week for me
to see how this truck could fill my list of needs. I am quite sure
it will exceed my expectations, That stainless body what a great
idea I will definitely enjoy. I have a history of keeping my vehicles
for decades. Can't wait for dual motor.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Figure $57,000 for CT add $1000 shipping to Miami, Fl plus $3480 state tax (no trade-in) plus $50 miami-dade county tax plus $225 tag and fees = $61,755 (may as well round to $62,000) options to be add at order time!

Please see my go-fund-me site at #I-NEED-CT-CASH-IN-THREE-YEARS ?????????
Yeah i'm relying on my Tesla stock to get a dual motor and a tri motor, it's already earned me enough for one just from the amount I invested. I'm going to need about $90000 i'm guessing because I plan to opt for the best wheels and interior, I'm also Canadian, so depending on the currency exchange at the time, it will be more like $120000 just for my trimotor

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Cybertruck had such a huge hype in the predays, then many
conception drawings were surfacing. With many I thought
had awesome ideas, I was sure Elon's design team would be
even better. On reveal day when Cybertruck drove onto the stage I thought it was part of the show still in progress it was
just an experimental for future vehicle. Minutes later I start to
realize the truck I wanted to see was not following Cybertruck
on stage. I was thinking this is really a bad joke and I needed a serious explanation. I lost interest immediately I was about to turn off the event when I thought but what about the capabilities.
I have to replace a car I own, 1994 Discovery and being in Montana it has earned it's keep. It had taken me a week for me
to see how this truck could fill my list of needs. I am quite sure
it will exceed my expectations, That stainless body what a great
idea I will definitely enjoy. I have a history of keeping my vehicles
for decades. Can't wait for dual motor.

I'm really curious about why people don't like the Cybertruck design. I've heard people give reasons but I can't begin to think of this design as ugly, it's very very different and I think that's what throws people off. There are a lot of cars I don't like for many reasons but the design isn't usually my biggest problem with them, unless we are talking about a Fiat Multipla. While I certainly prefer many designs over others, I don't usually hate a design (except Fiat Multipia).

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
When I first saw it... I kinda gave my computer screen that side-eye like what???

Now the only thing that bothers me about it is access to the "vault" from the side...

But if I can hop in my truck and have it navigate on autopilot to my bro-in-law's house in Jersey (3 hours away), how upset can I really be that the only easy access to the vault is via the tailgate? Not to mention diesel fuel is WAY more expensive than electrons!

There will be nothing like it (beside the other 650k ordered) on the road. It's ugly, but it's awesome!

My wife... sees my screen saver all the time and asks me "are you really gonna buy that?" I still answer and will continue to answer... YES!

Side note: my nephews (8 and 10 or 9 and 11 depending on when I get mine) will crap their pants the first time they see it and get to take a ride in it. #worthit #cooluncle #cybertruck

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
As a Tesla enthusiast I was just interested in the event and what the truck would look like, wasn't planning to order at all, never owned a truck.
As the front was coming out of that fog my reaction was "not bad at all", then it rolled on the scene and I was "but why?". As the presentation progressed and the information about SS exoskeleton body and ALON glass was slowly digested, I realized that this is the car (not truck) that I was looking for in the past 10 years. Order was placed 3 min after presentation ended.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I'm really curious about why people don't like the Cybertruck design. I've heard people give reasons but I can't begin to think of this design as ugly, it's very very different and I think that's what throws people off. There are a lot of cars I don't like for many reasons but the design isn't usually my biggest problem with them, unless we are talking about a Fiat Multipla. While I certainly prefer many designs over others, I don't usually hate a design (except Fiat Multipia).
I somewhat understand people not liking Cybertruck's aesthetic design, because it doesn't have much of it. If you ask a person "Do you like the design of the brick?" there's really no answer to that. A brick is characterized by 6 faces and 12 edges and has a form that follows function. So is the Cybertruck, not far from a brick in terms of design but whole lotta function.
Sponsored