Improvements you would like to see in future updates that can't be updated via software

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Let's keep it realistic.

- Boost in 4680 Performance
- Better waterproofing for the vault
- Put the goddamn turn signal on each side of the steering wheel like a Ferrari. it is far less confusing than having both on one side do both left and right. We study driver ergonomics, and Ferrari's implementation is by far the best. better than stalks.
- Please give us STEAM
- HVAC in the vault
- Roll Down Mid Glass
- Power rear gate
Sponsored

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
  • SUV form factor, with manually converting interior/exterior cargo space ( a la Audi Activesphere, but larger) and/or
  • Midgate + rear seats fold down instead of up
  • Front 2" hitch receiver
  • Flat in bed or under rear seats form factor range extender
  • Swap to higher density cells, such as Amprius' silicon nanowire chemistry
  • Charge port that will accept CCS to NACS adapter (plus 400-1000V CCS compatibility)
  • Removable center console (rear screen delete ok) + adjustable captains chair arm rests
  • AC power outlet in frunk
  • Electrochromic and/or solar roof + windshield
  • DC direct in to MPPT (via NACS or separate connector) to charge MV and HV battery straight from exterior solar panels

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
A binnacle (the gauge display in front of the driver) similar to the Model S and X. If not that then a heads up display projected onto the windshield

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Also, a 200+ kWh battery that doesn’t eat up bed space. Put more resources into battery R&D to make it happen

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Let's keep it realistic.

- Boost in 4680 Performance
- Better waterproofing for the vault
- Put the goddamn turn signal on each side of the steering wheel like a Ferrari. it is far less confusing than having both on one side do both left and right. We study driver ergonomics, and Ferrari's implementation is by far the best. better than stalks.
- Please give us STEAM
- HVAC in the vault
- Roll Down Mid Glass
- Power rear gate
I didnt even know the turn signal on both sides was a thing! I’ve never seen it before. Is that just Ferrari or are there other manufacturers that have that?

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
solar array or

Photovoltaic cladding instead of a wrap
https://landing.onyxsolar.com/trans...MIr7Sj1snJgwMVihOtBh0G-QKEEAAYASAAEgL0bPD_BwE

WadeMode plus= scuba/ boat mode with interior cabin positive air pressure over ambient pressure

range extender redesign to be carried below normal battery pack removable by owner. Horizontal celll geometry vs vertical to minimize thickness addition. Suspension could compensate for addition except perhaps for off road Baja etc.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Let's keep it realistic.

1. - Boost in 4680 Performance
  2. - Better waterproofing for the vault
  3. - Put the goddamn turn signal on each side of the steering wheel like a Ferrari. it is far less confusing than having both on one side do both left and right. We study driver ergonomics, and Ferrari's implementation is by far the best. better than stalks.
  4. - Please give us STEAM
  5. - HVAC in the vault
  6. - Roll Down Mid Glass
  7. - Power rear gate
1 - Who said they aren't. Any change in the factory will tend to change in the next days cars, because inventory is 0
2 - Probably need a little more experience before calling it not waterproof.
3 - I'm pretty sure that if Ferrari has it on both sides, then it is the ONLY car to do so. Remember, it's usually on the stalk with an up/down deflection. And I think that Tesla matched it so that it would be familiar. But with FSD, the car turns them on anyway.
4 - OMG
5 - I believe they do, it's the 1-40 variety, just like the older cars 4-40. I remember being told many times, if you want air conditioner, roll the damned windows down.
6 - Okay
7 - It already is (you didn't say automatic close)

OP
OP

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I didnt even know the turn signal on both sides was a thing! I’ve never seen it before. Is that just Ferrari or are there other manufacturers that have that?
Tesla Cybertruck Improvements you would like to see in future updates that can't be updated via software 1704574293785

This makes a lot more sense and can be used more instinctively, you use your left thumb to signal left and right thumb to signal right.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
  1. SUV form factor, with manually converting interior/exterior cargo space ( a la Audi Activesphere, but larger) and/or
  2. Midgate + rear seats fold down instead of up
  3. Front 2" hitch receiver
  4. Flat in bed or under rear seats form factor range extender
  5. Swap to higher density cells, such as Amprius' silicon nanowire chemistry
  6. Charge port that will accept CCS to NACS adapter (plus 400-1000V CCS compatibility)
  7. Removable center console (rear screen delete ok) + adjustable captains chair arm rests
  8. AC power outlet in frunk
  9. Electrochromic and/or solar roof + windshield
  10. DC direct in to MPPT (via NACS or separate connector) to charge MV and HV battery straight from exterior solar panels
1 - That's a whole 'nother class of vehicle
2 - You want the seats to be that short?
3 - Haven't seen many toads from the manufacturers
4 - It probably significantly impacts the CG of the vehicle and therefore the handling. The normal batteries are between the axles to evenly spread weight.
5 - I don't know the cells that you are talking about, but I suspect that they won't meat an acceptable balance between, availability, charge speed, discharge speed, and longevity. Most batteries don't get out of the research phase, and seeing that Amprius just made some major changes, they may not have either.
6 - It will. I expect that the new one will also support 800V, which the old one didn't
7 - There may be aftermarket shops that do this
8 - An extension cord is available.
9 - Who is making those today?
10 - First, the AC inverters aren't that inefficient, so not that big of a deal. But you are asking for a LOT. Have you got well over 400V in your current solar configuration? Yep, you gotta be at over 400V to directly charge those batteries, preferably over 800V. 48V will require step up converter, is essentially a DC to AC to DC inverter.

Tambo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model X
Country flag
#10, I would also love to see some method of solar charging. The only way I can think of now is to use an inverter/charger and a small-ish battery (48V, ~5kwh) to provide 240VAC to charge. Direct MPPT is something I would want also. Rumors are the the CT has provisions for inductive charging ports. If there was an API to control the charge rate to form a control loop with available solar power so I don;t need a battery as a buffer, all the better.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
#10, I would also love to see some method of solar charging. The only way I can think of now is to use an inverter/charger and a small-ish battery (48V, ~5kwh) to provide 240VAC to charge. Direct MPPT is something I would want also. Rumors are the the CT has provisions for inductive charging ports. If there was an API to control the charge rate to form a control loop with available solar power so I don;t need a battery as a buffer, all the better.
How many panels are you wanting to carry with you? It takes a lot.

Tambo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model X
Country flag

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Some o

I've been looking at flexible panels. Something like https://www.bougerv.com/products/fiberglass-100-watt-solar-panel

40x24x0.08" 100 watts each, so carrying 3KW and laying them on the ground when overlanding is <3" thick if I believe their dimensions.
What about the frames that it's going to take to hold all 20 of them down and flat? And the extra wiring? And the inverter?

Are you just using panels and no batteries? What about the variable voltage and the on-off that is going to come from the inverter? Clouds pass over and the inverter may have no option but to turn off. You can always mitigate some of this by having more cells than needed.

And what plug are you going to use? Important because that's how Tesla sets charging current.

I'm not saying that you can't charge a Cybertruck from solar, I'm just saying it is probably at least two orders of magnitude harder than most people think.

Tambo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model X
Country flag
What about the frames that it's going to take to hold all 20 of them down and flat? And the extra wiring? And the inverter?

Are you just using panels and no batteries? What about the variable voltage and the on-off that is going to come from the inverter? Clouds pass over and the inverter may have no option but to turn off. You can always mitigate some of this by having more cells than needed.

And what plug are you going to use? Important because that's how Tesla sets charging current.

I'm not saying that you can't charge a Cybertruck from solar, I'm just saying it is probably at least two orders of magnitude harder than most people think.
My initial thought was I was going to stake them down on the GND like I would a tent at basecamp. SHouldn't take more than a few min to do. The only way I can think of right now is to use a battery since I can't control the CT Charge current in real time to match the solar output. Essentially have an off grid solar system that I can charge the CT with. Point being, if Tesla offered a direct MPPT DC input accessory. I can skip the battery and inverter.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My initial thought was I was going to stake them down on the GND like I would a tent at basecamp. SHouldn't take more than a few min to do. The only way I can think of right now is to use a battery since I can't control the CT Charge current in real time to match the solar output. Essentially have an off grid solar system that I can charge the CT with. Point being, if Tesla offered a direct MPPT DC input accessory. I can skip the battery and inverter.
You've got to find a spot large enough, it has to be clear of blockages, what if it rains, you have to run the cables, you have to have the cables and long enough to reach the inverter. Soil has to be able to support stakes.
Most campgrounds in the east don't have all the criteria. I guess bivouacs in the west could be more suitable, but not in the mountains, as that decreases charge time.

If Tesla were to give you the solar connection point, you'd need an array capable of supporting it, which means probably at least 40 cells to reach the needed voltage. And that comes with it's own safety issues. Watch videos when Tesla techs start working with.

Step 118 starts to show the safety gear
High Voltage Battery Assembly - HV Battery, Long, 4680, Center (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)
Sponsored