Bonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 , 2 Mustang GT’s, Saturn Sky, Ducati
Occupation
Retired Educator
Country flag
At the lowest and the the highest Cybertruck suspension settings, how many inches are there from the ground to the bottom of the vehicle?
Sponsored

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
At the lowest and the the highest Cybertruck suspension settings, how many inches are there from the ground to the bottom of the vehicle?
We do not know.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The figures we have seen, if they haven't changed, indicate that the Cybertruck will have more ground clearance than any other light truck in the high mode.

But numbers are just numbers. For example, the new Hummer EV published ground clearance is very close (almost as high) as what we have heard for Cybertruck but auto industry reviewers were having trouble actually driving in the highest mode. It kept lowering itself. And there are pretty strict speed limits on the highest mode, like crawling speed.

All will be much more clear in just a few more months or less.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Relevant:

Some folks here appear to think or suggest that the CT's adaptive suspension will allow them to just choose a height to run in any condition. For example, set at max height for driving around.

I suppose it's possible Tesla breaks with industry and safety norms, but it seems unlikely.

Far more likely is that there will be, e.g., an offroad setting for putting the truck high, that is limited to X top speeds, at which point the truck returns to driving height. At highway speeds it lowers to max. Etc.

I'd be interested to hear of a counter-example model, but I don't know of a single manufacturer that approaches adaptive ride height (for off-roading or otherwise) that permits operators to simply select any ride height they want under whatever conditions.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When the unveiling happened the lowest ground clearance was 8” and the highest was 16” (12” plus or minus 4”), but no one has heard anything since.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Relevant:

Some folks here appear to think or suggest that the CT's adaptive suspension will allow them to just choose a height to run in any condition. For example, set at max height for driving around.

I suppose it's possible Tesla breaks with industry and safety norms, but it seems unlikely.

Far more likely is that there will be, e.g., an offroad setting for putting the truck high, that is limited to X top speeds, at which point the truck returns to driving height. At highway speeds it lowers to max. Etc.

I'd be interested to hear of a counter-example model, but I don't know of a single manufacturer that approaches adaptive ride height (for off-roading or otherwise) that permits operators to simply select any ride height they want under whatever conditions.
Elon said that the suspension would adapt to the load so that could be dynamic to some extent. The MS and MX can be geofenced to set a specific height for bumps, driveways, etc., but I have never used them. I doubt we will be able to change the height while driving down the road (low rider style).

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Elon said that the suspension would adapt to the load so that could be dynamic to some extent.
For payload, I suspect it won’t be dissimilar from other OEM air suspensions.

As you add payload, the air suspension inflates to keep the truck level and suspension with “normal” travel height. Begin to the exceed the payload and it stops adding air and/or disables the truck so you don’t mover inflate or blow a line and end up resting on the bump stops.

Aside from load-leveling, here are the other settings and height specs on the Ram with 4-corner air - and *not* on 36” tires - which probably gives a good insight to the approach CT will take with its air suspension:

• Normal Ride Height: 8.7 inches (221 mm) of clearance. This is the regular height position of your Ram, and measured form the base of the door sill.
  • Aero Mode: Lowers the truck by a half inch (15 mm) from the NRH position, to 8.2 inches (208 mm). This position is activated through the vehicle’s speed, and helps to improve fuel efficiency by one percent.
  • Off-Road 1: Lifts the truck by 1 inch (25 mm) above NRH to 9.7 inches (246 mm), allowing you to clear obstacles and impediments easier.
  • Off-Road 2: Lifts the truck by 2 inches (51 mm) above NRH to 10.7 inches (272 mm), for the ultimate in obstacle clearing.
  • Entry/Exit Mode: Lowers the truck by 2 inches (51 mm) below NRH to 6.7 inches (170 mm), allowing for easy entry/exit for passengers and gear.
There’s an “Off-Road Group” package that I think bumps all these numbers up 1” more

Those settings are speed-dependent about like: if starting out in “Off Road 2”, the truck will lower to “Off Road 1” around 20mph, lower again to “Normal” around 45mph, and lower again to “Aero” around 65mph if the option is selected (and entry/exit being an option selection that occurs in park).

If the truck is in Tow/Haul mode, load-leveling controls over any of the above settings.

I suspect the speed limitations are not only for safety/roll-over risk, but also because of independent suspension geometry and the camber being off if running fast and high - not to mention the ride would be not-fun stiff.

The Ram’s max clearance in Off-Road 2 with the ORG package is 11.7”.m on stock ~32” tires. And because of the aero mode, can’t fit much more than 33” aftermarket tires without occasionally rubbing (or sitting on them in entry/exit).

At 2019 CT unveil it purported a max clearance of up to 16” on stock 36” tires (we assume). So the CT’s extra 4” of max height would come roughly 2” from suspension, and 2” from the tire size.

I say all this in part because the Ram demonstrates an interesting tension between aero and clearance that the CT will have to address. Ram places such a priority on Aero that the clearance is sort of limited. For the suspension to “reach” low enough for aero mode, it can only “reach” so high in off-road.

Surely the CT is being optimized for aero/max range. Add 36” tires to the CT, and for the suspension to reach low enough for a maximumly effective aero mode despite 36” tires, it will take some doing at the suspension level for the VT to reach so high in an off-road mode. Will be interesting to see how the CT addresses this.

Not to mention the TRX doesn’t come with air, because that sort of off-roading isn’t typically conducive to these sorts of air suspensions. Another thing that will be interesting to see the CT address.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Lowest And Highest Cybertruck Suspension Setting Measurements IMG_3596

But will my CyberTruck be able to do this?….😜
Sponsored