Major mistake not including charge cables with all new vehicles!

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
If Tesla doesn’t just include charge cables with all new vehicles, it’s going to be a epic and cheap mistake! I wasn’t able to line up an electrician until the day after I took delivery. It had 60% of charge and had 47 miles and 2000 ft of elevation @ 90 degrees to get home. The charge cable saved my ass, and MYLR. Not including a basic charging on average $60,000 not including tax car is cheap and repugnant! Matter of fact it should come with the full travel pack for all power outlets that are available through Tesla for $500 and just add the cost to the vehicle purchase price. Peace of mind can be priceless…
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If Tesla doesn’t just include charge cables with all new vehicles, it’s going to be a epic and cheap mistake! I wasn’t able to line up an electrician until the day after I took delivery. It had 60% of charge and had 47 miles and 2000 ft of elevation @ 90 degrees to get home. The charge cable saved my ass, and MYLR. Not including a basic charging on average $60,000 not including tax car is cheap and repugnant! Matter of fact it should come with the full travel pack for all power outlets that are available through Tesla for $500 and just add the cost to the vehicle purchase price. Peace of mind can be priceless…
you had 60% charge and couldn't go 47 miles?

OP
OP
Toonces

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
Arrived with less than 20% and it was the first time ever driving a Tesla. Hadn’t done the WiFi, and had a ton of software updates to due, but was able to plug into 110v until the electrician was able to arrive on Sunday afternoon. Yes…range anxiety is real for the first week of ownership. Just saying I understand the spare tire thing, but no charge cable for a all electric vehicle?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
No big deal. Just plan to purchase them separately from Tesla when you pick up your rig or purchase them from a 3rd party in advance.

I think it was a good move. I am not sure if the consumer will actually see a saving tho. Maybe worked in to a lesser price increase but we would have no way to tell.

Deleted member 5322

No big deal. Just plan to purchase them separately from Tesla when you pick up your rig or purchase them from a 3rd party in advance.

I think it was a good move. I am not sure if the consumer will actually see a saving tho. Maybe worked in to a lesser price increase but we would have no way to tell.
ok, let’s remove a passenger seat. If you need it - just buy in advance before delivery! Data shows that there is not really usage of this seat. And much less usage of a back seat! Do you see the path?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
THE defining line between automobile or appliance - a power cord.

Are EV’s transport or ubiquitous flying toasters? Divisive its not. No pleas of frugality, Libertarianism or Ayn Rand philosophizing needed.

No one gets a jerry can with every ICE. Likewise, no one must buy a power cord to plug-in a new toaster - flying or not.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I couldn't agree more. I used the 110v mobile connecter for the first 2 weeks until I realized that MC with a NEMA 14-50 was almost as fast as a wall connector but at a fraction of the price..... That would have been a turn-off when I first bought my Model3 if I HAD to spend over $500 to charge my car at home. It has been nearly 4 years now and 99% of my charging is done with the MC.

I still to this day bring my MC every time on a road trip. At the family cabin, the closest fast charger is over 30 mins away. It's way more convenient to bring along the MC.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe it’s been so long since you got into the BEV game that you have forgotten what it is like. Even now my wife, when she drives to work, has to use non-Tesla chargers there to charge her LRM3. I am glad we have that extra cable and agree with the OP that it was a strategic mistake on Tesla’s part.

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
you'll find (free) 1772 level 2 chargers "all over the place" using plugshare and chargepoint … the UMC is really an overnight trickle charger. If Tesla no longer includes the 1772 adapter, it's not an expensive gizmo.
I prefer the pricing model of options instead of inclusions. Of course Tesla didn't drop the msrp by the cost of the UMC, but they're in a gouge cycle till production meets demand and orders are taking 6 to 12 (!) months to build.
I think 2022 has become the worst year to buy a Tesla, unless it's an order from prior to (most of) the 2021 price gouging.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
It may have to do with a revision to the charger itself....

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My guess exactly.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Cheap? Sure. Will it stop anyone from buying a Tesla? No.
Sponsored