Middle Seat Airbag problem

Will the middle seat of the cybertruck have a frontal airbag?

• Total voters

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
So I have been trying to think of ways for the middle seat passenger to have an airbag but I can't figure out how it works cause the screen is in the middle.
I guess one way is to have the screen break and airbag pop out. Or might not have one at all.
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
So I have been trying to think of ways for the middle seat passenger to have an airbag but I can't figure out how it works cause the screen is in the middle.
I guess one way is to have the screen break and airbag pop out. Or might not have one at all.
How do all the other fullsize trucks do it? I don't think any of them have a "center" airbag. The frontal (driver/passenger) airbags are large and probably almost cover the middle area completely.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla is huge on safety. There will be an airbag for the middle seat. Maybe mounted in the center of the windshield along with the cameras?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I searched and searched for a picture of an inflated airbag that showed the passenger airbag come out of the area above the glove box but the actual airbag was a large rectangle that when inflated, covered the entire dash all the way to the inflated driver side airbag. I know I've seen it, but I could not find it. In the process of searching I found out that legally a car manufacturer is NOT required to have an airbag for front center passenger.

Sidetrack: I found this video interesting. GM created a small fleet of Impala's in 1973 with their "Air Cushion Restraint system (ACRS)" In the demonstration (starting at 1:10) it looks like the passenger side airbag comes from low in the dash and inflates upward. Something like this might work with the CT and the center screen, where it comes from below the screen but inflates in front of the screen.

Although I found Tesla is not legally required to have an airbag for the center passenger, I agree with @Ogre and would be surprised if they didn't.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Perhaps they are using a different approach for middle seat passenger safety.

Tesla Cybertruck Middle Seat Airbag problem 1641921975635

That’s right… Deployable stuffies Are the next generation safety measure.

OP
OP
bob/lego/gamer

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
Perhaps they are using a different approach for middle seat passenger safety.

1641921975635.jpeg

That’s right… Deployable stuffies Are the next generation safety measure.
Kids would love it LOL

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Now all I can think about is the movie Demolition Man (1993) and the "secure foam" that saved John Spartian's life.

It's been a while, I need to watch that movie again. It had a lot of "future" speculation like self driving cars. "Now all Restaurants are Taco Bell's"

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The government forces automakers to install so many safety features that only drive up the cost of the vehicle in America. Can’t beat the system, so might as well take it with a smile.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Americans continue to kill lots of people in cars, so yeah, we'd better have all the safety features.

-Crissa
The problem is so many of these features are designed to protect the idiots inside the death machine, not the ones outside it.

This is my big hope for FSD, it is way more respectful and aware of pedestrians and cyclists than almost any human.

OP
OP
bob/lego/gamer

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
The problem is so many of these features are designed to protect the idiots inside the death machine, not the ones outside it.

This is my big hope for FSD, it is way more respectful and aware of pedestrians and cyclists than almost any human.
What do you peeps think about the front of the cybertruck having 2 frontal cameras facing right and left? (on the bumper area because the b pillar can't see everything) For more vision on blind left turns.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What do you peeps think about the front of the cybertruck having 2 frontal cameras facing right and left? (on the bumper area because the b pillar can't see everything) For more vision on blind left turns.
I could see some wide angle bumper height cameras being useful.

I don’t think they will happen though. Tesla adds cameras so Autopilot can see, I don’t think they would add cameras just for the meat pilot.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think if they want to exceed humans, they need to exceed humans' angle of vision.

The problem is, humans can't verify corner cameras at this point.

-Crissa

OP
OP
bob/lego/gamer

bob/lego/gamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota matrix
Country flag
I think if they want to exceed humans, they need to exceed humans' angle of vision.

The problem is, humans can't verify corner cameras at this point.

-Crissa
could they possibly use the screen to display such cameras? I am no software programmer