Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I wonder one fit at an angle with the front tire off but the handlebars turned 90 degrees.

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed GvIinMW

However, may need a bike rack after all.

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed fcOe2YB
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Good picture of the bed but I don't see anything that could be used as a reference for measuring.

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed DXeYM5X

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I've updated some of my calculations and based on a bed length of 76", width of 52", height at back wall 34", height at edge of an 8" overhang 32'" and a tailgate height of 20" then a 56cm road bike(front wheel removed) would fit with the seat post removed, but just barely. A larger frame or a mtb or any reduction in a couple of these dimensions it would not fit.
Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed IMG_6459

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There was very little on the web about dimensions of an eMTB with the front wheel off, (and even ChatGPT gave me the wrong answer :rolleyes:), so I went and measured it myself.
1678558119269.png

• To my surprise, the front and back (after taking the front wheel off) are pretty close to the same height.
  • We need a space roughly 36"x65". (medium size frame)
  • The cybertruck bed starts out taller at end of the and decreases as it goes back, which might be a problem.
  • If the measurements from the above post are correct, the bed is long enough to store the bike in terms of length (72"). bike = 65.
  • You could not turn the bike sideways and push it to the back near the cab (57" wide max point). bike = 65
  • Also the width is a little problematic. Truck is 57", but two bikes side by side are 62". So they would have to overlap a bit. This might not be a problem, but it could result in scraping around the shifters and motor control areas.
  • The bikes could either be stored right-side up (fork-down), or upside-down (fork-up). Harder to attach to the bed securely if the latter. And this would affect overall height, so probably better to do fork-down and mount to a 2x4 or metal rail.
  • Looking at the other photo I posted above, the ATV sitting in the bed probably has ~25" wheels on it. So a quick guess is that when the cover closes, there is maybe 27" of height inside at the back (and that was probably before the 5% reduction), so maybe 25" now. We need 36" for the bike, and it will extend pretty far back towards the tailgate.

Summary: The bed is not huge, and the one measurement that we really need is "bed height with cover closed", which doesn't appear to have been disclosed yet. I personally think it will be a very tight fit, and probably won't work in any configuration. It doesn't really appear to have been built with secure bike-storage in mind.

Potential solution: A mini-camper. Perhaps a 3rd party that does the rack-storage compartments will build a shell that pops on to the top of the bed and you just wheel the bikes into the bed and you attach them to two rails. However this would be a prime target for thieves who could probably just cut it open and remove the bikes. That's why the rolling metal cover was so nice to begin with.

Realistic solution:
Remove the front wheels, mount them to a rail inside the truck, lock the fork attachment point, then lock the frames to the bed with multiple cables. Leave the bed cover open. Not long-term secure, but maybe good enough to have lunch in a restaurant after your ride.
Bed height at the front of the vault is just about 33-35 inches. A 35” tire sticks out a bit, but isn‘t flush with the front either.

Regardless, if you are taking the tires off, there is no worry, we’ve put 2 mountain bikes in the back of a friend’s Nissan Titan which has a very similar bed size and a bed cover. Cybertruck will have more space due to the taller cover in the front.

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed 1678567976077

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I've updated some of my calculations and based on a bed length of 76", width of 52", height at back wall 34", height at edge of an 8" overhang 32'" and a tailgate height of 20" then a 56cm road bike(front wheel removed) would fit with the seat post removed, but just barely. A larger frame or a mtb or any reduction in a couple of these dimensions it would not fit.
IMG_6459.jpg
The drawing is great, but likely has a bit of an inaccuracy that will be critical to your estimates

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed 5D763AF0-8C48-4C6B-AE51-BA7BEF479E95

Directionally (measurements/depths unknown of course) the bulkhead would in your drawing appear a bit more like the following (color coding matched to pic above)

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed C79BA5DD-34A2-4243-BD02-891ADAB4C99B

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Good point. I forgot about that. Although I am not sure the inward (into bed) encroachment is anywhere near that much. I am thinking two inches at most. That might be enough though to kill the idea of carrying the bikes in an upright position with the cover closed. My wife's bike is probably still going to work (44cm).

It's all in the details

Just thought of something else. If you could put the fork mount in the open bed storage (if there is one) it would rotate the top of the seat tube down a couple of inches.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Does anyone know the internal dimensions of the bed with the rolling cover closed?
  • It appears to be quite a bit higher near the cab than near the tailgate.
  • It might be possible to take the front wheel off and put the bikes standing up, with the front fork facing the back of the truck? Maybe it's still too high.
  • Also, I think they reduced the truck dimensions by 5% so that would likely impact the bed storage volume as well.
  • I am worried that laying two bikes on top of each other (flat) would result in damage eventually, even with padding.
  • Perhaps some 3rd-party company might make a system where two bikes could fold down sideways and have a bar or clamp keeping the two bikes separate even on bumpy roads.
https://imagemeasurement.online/image/select

2 wrongs could be at work here... so it may not be right !!!

30.5" (77cm) is the highest under the tonneau

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed 1678629580562

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
OP
OP

Axup

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, on cybertruck waiting list
Occupation
SW designer
Country flag
That's the most feasible idea I've seen yet.
Might still be a bit tight left-right for two bikes, and you would need to do a lateral strap between the two walls to keep either bike from shifting left or right while driving.
I guess you could put a moving pad under it and then tuck the extra wheel under the front of the bike under the pad.
Definitely worth a try, and it is inexpensive! ;)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
except the quoted dimensions are a bit wrong or misleading, depending on how you look at it

the stated “width” is between wheelwells, only at the wheelwells

the remainder of the bed fore, aft, and over the wheelwells is 65”

which as shown in that photo is a useful additional 15”

also, with front wheels off, 2 mountain bikes can fit inside the cab - if you like your cab dirty

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed 2E31F0D2-8013-4FC5-8628-0FD0C0CB22B6

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
except the quoted dimensions are a bit wrong or misleading, depending on how you look at it

also, with front wheels off, 2 mountain bikes can fit inside the cab - if you like your cab dirty
Yes, bikes can straddle the humps.

Also, you should know where your towel is...

-Crissa

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

I was thinking the width is sometimes given in terms of what dimensional item you can lay flat on the floor (ie. 4x8 plywood | drywall. I didn't take it as negatively misleading.

Overall, my impression is that there is more usable space in the F150. Cybertruck bed gave up some space for rear wheel turning and perhaps non-curvable material (ie bent sheets).

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed dxeym5x-

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yes, bikes can straddle the humps.
I didn't take it as negatively misleading.
I raised it only because the shown photo has the bike “spooning” the wheel hump to create the space needed for fitting 2 bikes side-by-side - Meant then it was only “misleading” regarding the overall bed width needed to accomplish the photo arrangement

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

2E31F0D2-8013-4FC5-8628-0FD0C0CB22B6.jpeg
Ha, you call that dirty? Here's a dirty bike, even my shoes needed to be hosed down. 😂

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed vert

Tesla Cybertruck Mountain bikes inside the bed when covered/closed muddy

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ha, you call that dirty? Here's a dirty bike, even my shoes needed to be hosed down. 😂

vert.jpg

muddy.jpg
wasn’t my picture, and I hope it was a picture of whomever’s load up not return

that’s some beautiful looking country in your pics
Sponsored