MPGe help & predictions

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I've just been comparing it to a long range dual motor model X in all of my calcs. While the motors and batteries will invariably be different, it's the closest analogue we have in terms of weight. I also imagine a lot of the same Tesla design philosophy will carry over in terms of efficiency and thought process. I'm also thinking in terms of per mile cost for my business since I drive an average of 150 miles a day based on my tracker. Since we can already assume the maintenance of the CT will be minimal compared to a service truck the real killer is mileage.

That said, in all of my estimates I can out to this for CA:

F350 - Diesel
Fuel = ~$4.00 / gallon
Mileage = 17.5 mpg
Cost per mile = ~$0.23 per mile

Cybertruck - estimated based on model X
Electricity = $0.29 / kWh
Mileage = 3.28 miles / kWh
Cost per mile = ~$0.09 per mile

Considering I'm on track to drive about 37,500 miles this year:

Annual fuel costs:
F350 = ~$10,875
Cybertruck = ~$3,375

That's nothing to sneer at, even is the CT is half as efficient as a model X that's still money saved. When you factor in the average annual maintenance costs for my truck it gets even more absurd since it's a diesel and needs an atrocious amount of oil and it needs fuel filters, 4x4 fluids, differential fluids, etc. In my QuickBooks it shows to cost about $1600 a year on top of the oil changes which are $350 every time they come up, which is on track to be about 6 times this year. That's going to be the real savings of my king dorito.

Even if I finance the full amount of the dual motor, it still comes out on top compared to my behemoth truck when you add up services and such. And before anyone gets snarky, I get the service done at a shop since it's tax deductible, it's a work vehicle and I plan on selling it. Also, I left tires out since it's reasonable to assume the CT and an F350 would go through tires at about the same rate.

Tldr: it's cheaper if you compare it to another truck.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'd say your 3.28 mi/kWh (305 Wh/mi) is very optimistic. The X is in that ball park. The CT is going to burn appreciably more based on no more that comparison of the drag coefficients (0.24 for the X; 0.30 for the CT). ABRP thinks uses 485 for rated consumption in its calculations. The most optimistic I've seen in 385. 400 is a nice round number. If you drive 37,500 mi that will consume 15 mW of electricity and you will have to supply 11% more than that for rectifier efficiency losses meaning 16.667 Mw. At 29¢ a kWh (ouch! - more than twice the national average) that will cost you $4833 (12.9¢/mi). I did not include phantom drain in these calculations.

You are still way better off than $10,875 of course. I assume your 29¢ number is based on all charging being done at an SC. Home charging, especially supplemented with solar, should get the cost per mile way down.

BEV tend to go through tires faster than ICE because they can accelerate so much faster and drivers just can't seem to resist the temptation.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I've probably read this article a zillion times: Cybertruck MPGe

I'm struggling however to fully understand MPGe. I currently drive a Prius and a Nissan Titan. The cybertruck will replace both. With all the math I'm doing, I'm struggling to see how I'll be saving money. If I go at face value, I will be gaining 20 MPGe over my Prius, which averages 50mpg and according to the Reddit article which states the CT Dual motor will get 69/70 mpge.

Sooooo....

My Prius has 160,000 miles and averages 50 MPG. That means over the course of the vehicle I've used 3,200 gallons of gas and if I average gas at $2.50 I would have spend $8,000 in gas.

The Cybertruck will get 70 MPGe. If I assume that I drive 160,000 miles on the CT and I use the 33.7 KW / gallon that means that I would have used 539,200 KWH of energy. at 13 cents per kwh, I would have spent $14,019.20 in energy cost.

That can't be right. Any help would be appreciated.
I have seen several replies but replacing a pretty efficient and tiny sedan with a bohonken truck is not going to produce a favorable comparison. If you are looking at finding some silver bullet in buying an electric vehicle - where no matter how you compare the electric comes out ahead, then you have to include maintenance costs, oil changes, the annoyance of hanging out in gas stations, etc., in your calculations. Where I live I just filled up my hybrid SUV at over $4.00 per gallon. My promise to myself was that every new SUV would get at least 20% better fuel economy so I have gone as far as I can with hybrid SUVs. Like @Crissa said, you cannot compare a Prius and a truck.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I assume your 29¢ number is based on all charging being done at an SC. Home charging, especially supplemented with solar, should get the cost per mile way down.
Nope, that's my home price for off peak energy. Peak hours can go up to 39¢ (or more according to my contract) if PG&E feels like it. California is awesome like that.

We want to get solar and batteries on the house though, which would make the CT effectively free to operate assuming our array can be sized big enough.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Nope, that's my home price for off peak energy. Peak hours can go up to 39¢ (or more according to my contract) if PG&E feels like it. California is awesome like that.
I'll say it again out of sympathy: Ouch.

We want to get solar and batteries on the house though, which would make the CT effectively free to operate assuming our array can be sized big enough.
The 16.667 MWh you need for charging is actually "only" 45.6 kWh per day. With 5 hours equivlent full sun per day a 9 kW system will cover the needs for your truck. With 6 (check the NREL map for your area) a 7.6 kW array will do. You don't have to charge it at 11 kW (though you could with Powerwalls).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have seen several replies but replacing a pretty efficient and tiny sedan with a bohonken truck is not going to produce a favorable comparison.
Given that a ICE vehicle operates in the 20 - 30% efficiency region and a BEV in the 90% efficiency region you can come out favorably with a pretty hefty BEV relative to the ICE it is being compared to.

OP
OP

exdxgxe4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have seen several replies but replacing a pretty efficient and tiny sedan with a bohonken truck is not going to produce a favorable comparison. If you are looking at finding some silver bullet in buying an electric vehicle - where no matter how you compare the electric comes out ahead, then you have to include maintenance costs, oil changes, the annoyance of hanging out in gas stations, etc., in your calculations. Where I live I just filled up my hybrid SUV at over $4.00 per gallon. My promise to myself was that every new SUV would get at least 20% better fuel economy so I have gone as far as I can with hybrid SUVs. Like @Crissa said, you cannot compare a Prius and a truck.
Yeah, when you factor in maintenance, they definitely come closer. Here in Wisconsin, rust is an issue and both of my vehicles have body rust. The stainless steel is a huge selling point for me so I'm willing to pay more to get more. Thanks for your reply!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This is a number to beat for CT and with better aerodynamics it should be doable:

Tesla Cybertruck MPGe help & predictions 1630886713434

note the impact of wheel and tire choice. 21” has road tires.

Tesla Cybertruck MPGe help & predictions 1630886853532

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Visiting Maine. Average residents in Monhegan Maine pays 70 cents per kwh. I wonder what happens to BEVs if rest of U.S. utilities go that way. CT won’t look as green for sure.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Solar power saves the day
Did a quick search, Monhegan Maine is an island which is why their power is so expensive.

Considering the whole island is basically one town, it looks like an ebike with a 200 watt panel is your best bet. Or just... a regular pedal bike.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Did a quick search, Monhegan Maine is an island which is why their power is so expensive.

Considering the whole island is basically one town, it looks like an ebike with a 200 watt panel is your best bet. Or just... a regular pedal bike.
Just double the panels. Besides, introducing logic to my posts just causes confusion. ?