Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The CEO of Tesla said the prices will be higher.
yet you ignore that and state " No price increases"

To think a vehicle with huge demand that comes to market 4 years after announced and after at least 2 years of close to double digit inflation seems to me wishful thinking
I think what Crissa was implying is that.. in not outright saying prices will increase (he did only say that prices will be different because specs are different and inflation is different).. that one could assume the pricing will not necessarily increase because they may no longer have a dual motor CT to purchase. They may only have 1 model for purchase with after POS upgrade purchases available (battery and motors software limited for paid upgrades). For example.. they could just have a quad motor CT for sale with 1 battery pack size... 500 mile range. Then they could give you the option (as many have hoped and asked for) to choose between 250, 350, 500 mile range, and dual, quad motor at POS. So in this instance... listing a quad motor CT for 80K, or even 80K plus inflation makes little sense in relation to our understanding of previous models/prices.

So which previous model/pricing scheme do you base the new price off of in this hypothetical instance? I would assume it would fall somewhere in the median between all 3 for a unit sold with mid range options chosen... aka 60K+inflation 53K+inflation(edit: forgot what the original models pricing range was because its been so long with so many hypothetical numbers thrown out on here). Then they just would figure out a pricing scheme for the options.. aka how much for dual vs quad vs plaid paid after POS upgrade.. how much for 250 vs 350 vs 500 battery pack size paid after POS upgrade, and subtract or add those prices from the base unit price. This hypothetical instance does not relate in any way to the previously released specs and pricing schemes because there are way more variations in prices based on what the purchaser chooses for themselves at the POS and/or after they've had the vehicle for a while.

This to me would ascribe to Crissa's statement that he did not specifically state prices are going up.. because they logically don't relate 1:1.

And that hypothesis would also be in line with my suggestions since the quad motor was announced.

EDIT: and in that hypothesis where they have 1 variant with the mid range software limited options priced to the median of all the previously announced prices ($53,000) even adding in a decent amount of inflation to bring the price up to around $56,000 for the 1 CT variant with mid range software limited options chosen (quad motor 250 mi range or dual motor 500 mi range). It may even end up that depending on your options.. you might actually get what you always wanted, for less than what was originally listed.

I would not be offended by that difference from the original specs and prices. I also wouldn't see it as a betrayal on the reveal announcement as its a different way of selling the truck which itself is "built" differently in that it is more purchaser customizable which seems to be what people really want. Many on here say "I just need dual motor 500 mi range". That was not even possible in the reveal structure, and after 2 years of reservations and potential customers on sites like this clamoring for that type of customizability, maybe Tesla listened and realized that is a better path forward with so much demand for this vehicle.

So you can't expect the pricing to be exactly the same for that change in underlying specs and purchaser customizability of the vehicle. It also doesn't change their underlying costs cause each vehicle costs 1 price to make.. it makes it easier and more cost effective for them to project out their total overhead for years in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

`AquaWatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
The demand is through the roof.
Even if 1/2 the orders drop out.
All I want is 500 mile range dual motor for under $80K

if this pushes over $100k, then forget it. I’ll just get an F-150. I’m getting the CT as an RV tow vehicle.
I'd say you will probably be getting an F 150 ICE truck.
The F-150 standard range ( which is just 230 miles) is $67k
The extended is around $85 and that's 320 miles with a towing capacity about 1/2 the CT ( going by specs)
I seriously doubt the dual motor will have a 500 mile range and I doubt if by some chance it does it will be under $80k.
I hope I'm wrong

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If price is too high for a 500 mile range CT, I'll probably just buy the Model Y with a tow package and a small utility trailer for the rare times I actually need a truck. I won't be cancelling my reservation in either case as the price swings I've seen with Tesla going up and down are pretty hard to time and I'm not hard up for that $100.

Technolust

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
How do you increase prices on a truck that doesn’t have a price tag yet? Also if your not even producing a single vehicle why would you announce your going to increase prices. I think he should be announcing delivery dates and not pricing. That’s just my opinion.

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The demand is through the roof.
Even if 1/2 the orders drop out.

I'd say you will probably be getting an F 150 ICE truck.
The F-150 standard range ( which is just 230 miles) is $67k
The extended is around $85 and that's 320 miles with a towing capacity about 1/2 the CT ( going by specs)
I seriously doubt the dual motor will have a 500 mile range and I doubt if by some chance it does it will be under $80k.
I hope I'm wrong
Yes I meant I’ll get an F150 ice truck if the prices are too high. Need a minimum of a 200 mile towing range. I’ll be getting an Airstream which is better than most for towing. F-150 lightning doesn’t have the range. The Rivian might but it would be $100,000.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Its seem many are missing that the price increases of late were (IMHO) based upon an attempt to quell demand due to production ramp time issues. Having long wait times is not good for any brand Tesla included. If you looked at the price increases from a strictly inflationary standpoint, they would have been much smaller.

The 2019 CT price targets do appear to be low but the $99 reservation fee and low price targets enabled Tesla to have this hugh reservation pool which, if nothing else substantiates the models market viability.

If the Giga Casting process works like intended, the CT will have lower materials costs than originally anticipated. That and the overall level of factory automation gives Tesla more flexibility in pricing. They already have a huge profit margin advantage over any other auto manufacturer.

At this point, speculation may be fun but it will be what it will be ... I'm all in Tesla regardless and this terrific interview with Alexandra Merz speaks to why.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
If price is too high for a 500 mile range CT, I'll probably just buy the Model Y with a tow package and a small utility trailer for the rare times I actually need a truck. I won't be cancelling my reservation in either case as the price swings I've seen with Tesla going up and down are pretty hard to time and I'm not hard up for that $100.
I may do the same.. a shame cause I love the CT design, but if its over 65k I can't afford it. Or I may move over to my Silverado EV reservation as I'm sure there will be a variant below the 65k price point.. but it would mean sacrificing on a lot of benefits of the Tesla (range/performance/OEM software support/etc).

`AquaWatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
I’m thinking the big boy quad will be just under 80k to qualify for the fed tax credit. That’s still Over 10k higher than announced in 2019
Inflation was over 9% this year. Over 8% last year. The vehicle won't be produced until middle of 2023. 4 years after it was announced. My guess is the quad will be much higher than $80 k. The Trimotor was $79k wasn't? 4 years later, horrendous inflation and an extra engine for $1k more seems impossible.

Yesterday this is what Musk said when asking the question about Cyber truck pricing:
"
“Cyber truck pricing: It was unveiled in 2019 ( almost laughing) and the reservation was $99 so…. You know things have, a lot has changed since then ( and he laughed)

He went on to say “ So the specs and the pricing will be different Hate to give a little bit of bad news but there’s no way to sort of had anticipated the inflation that we’ved seen and various issues. But what I can say it will be one hell of a product.”

Some here think the prices may still be the same or only slightly higher.

I think that's not likely

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How do you increase prices on a truck that doesn’t have a price tag yet? Also if your not even producing a single vehicle why would you announce your going to increase prices. I think he should be announcing delivery dates and not pricing. That’s just my opinion.
Well, because it had a price tag on it when it rolled onto the stage in 2019.

All this predicting raised prices is creating the situation where it 'okay' for the prices to be higher.

It's not okay.

-Crissa

Status
Not open for further replies.