Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I think that the advances are making dents in all kinds of transportation methods... This video is about a expensive catamaran remodel, but at this point he compares the cost of the electric drive and batteries compared to other parts of the boat and comes to the conclusion that electric the way to go.

These changes other than the automotive industry gives me hope... but also I remind myself that that trains went hybrid about 50 years ago... just for efficiency. So boats and ships could have long before now, but now it is just so very obvious that it becomes hard to deny (not impossible, just makes less and less sense).
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think that the advances are making dents in all kinds of transportation methods... This video is about a expensive catamaran remodel, but at this point he compares the cost of the electric drive and batteries compared to other parts of the boat and comes to the conclusion that electric the way to go.

These changes other than the automotive industry gives me hope... but also I remind myself that that trains went hybrid about 50 years ago... just for efficiency. So boats and ships could have long before now, but now it is just so very obvious that it becomes hard to deny (not impossible, just makes less and less sense).

Can you imagine when Tesla Semi's start delivering Gas/Diesel to gas stations :ROFLMAO: This will probably never happen though, i know major oil companies like Motiva only allow certain brands of vehicles to deliver there product.

corriedoran

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 2500
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Same! I drive a Ram 2500 at present for this very reason.

MisterL

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Configured
Country flag
If you research the lawsuit against Rivian you will find Tesla confirming over 500,000 pre-orders for the Cybertruck. I think that should be confirmation the number is much higher than 200k.
Took the ball n chain for a test drive of the Model Y this past weekend and the sales lady showed me proof positive that there are well over 500k reservations for the CyberTruck

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Elon mentioned that CT might " fail"... which segued into his options. I suspect that Tesla knows more now:
1 - $100 does not an order make
2- Research on pre-orders from buyers turned up unfavorable financial profiles
3- Tesla numbers are not crunching profits out of CT
4- Engineering can't meet CT MSRP budgets
5- Design brief is not realistic (read: failure)

OP
OP
DallasCyberTruck

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
Elon mentioned that CT might " fail"... which segued into his options. I suspect that Tesla knows more now:
Is this your truck?
Tesla Cybertruck Musk: "several hundred thousand" orders received for the Cybertruck 1597099160801

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
When listening to Musk it was my impression that "fail" was the initial public reaction. Tesla has not indicated that they are NOT going into production, in Austin, with the CT. Research? on pre-orders? Does anyone recall passing along personal financial info when making a reservation?

There is likely more we don't know than that we do know or suspect . The design is all about lowered production costs and it is possible that better battery tech was priced into the CT and will probably get better. There are only a few minor unknowns regarding the design, like wipers and side mirrors and perhaps the front crumple zone but they have made a CT and it is impressive. Bait and Switch is not Tesla's style.

Moparvibe

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I have always practiced:
a couple = 2
a few = 3
Some (or several in this case) = 4 or more
That's just the way I always saw it but maybe I am mistaken

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Can you imagine when Tesla Semi's start delivering Gas/Diesel to gas stations :ROFLMAO: This will probably never happen though, i know major oil companies like Motiva only allow certain brands of vehicles to deliver there product.
I bet some will deliver gas or other petroleum products. Why not? Once oil demand goes down, prices will skyrocket and then companies will want it transported in the most efficient way.

CyberKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Nissan Murano
Occupation
RN
Country flag
At only 200k its still like 10Billion for them. I think thats a good estimate of actual trucks that will need to be shipped asap, good news for the people waiting i guess!
Minus what they spent on the factory, and cost of production (materials & labor). So not exactly 10B. If it costs 25k to make one, and sell them at 50k (just dual for now) and make 200k, that's 5 billion, minus 1 billion for the factory, so that puts it around 4 billion. Then subtract labor and lawyers and miscellaneous fees, maybe a profit of 3 billion from making 200k trucks. But Idk, I'm just spitballin' here!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Minus what they spent on the factory, and cost of production (materials & labor). So not exactly 10B. If it costs 25k to make one, and sell them at 50k (just dual for now) and make 200k, that's 5 billion, minus 1 billion for the factory, so that puts it around 4 billion. Then subtract labor and lawyers and miscellaneous fees, maybe a profit of 3 billion from making 200k trucks. But Idk, I'm just spitballin' here!
Yeah, but when they report revenue, they will be adding 10B to that line. and if they can even claim 1/4 of that as profit, it will make them much more profitable then most other car companies...

(many who make money selling parts and some do the financing)

Also, traditional automakers to to move vehicles from their inventory the moment they ship it to a dealer... so if the vehicle sits for a while, the dealership eats that cost, not the manufacturer.

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also the first off line will be to employees; then regional, so your place in line doesn’t mean to much.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Tri Motor) on order
Country flag
Tesla understates everything, I would guess there is close to a million reservations at this point, but will all orders be executed, probably not. Here is a good video from Sandy Munro talking about how Tesla understates and sandbags the competition:
Sponsored