Mustang Mach-E Real World Range (Big problem)

cyberpays

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Website
northviewhomeowner.wixsite.com
Vehicles
69 Corvette all original (for sale), 2019 RAM PU
Country flag
I had a great example of this with my ICE (hybrid) pickup truck today.

My range meter usually reports about 450 miles for a full tank at an average mileage of around 18MPG.

I towed a travel trailer for about 90 miles yesterday, and arrived at my destination with an almost empty gas tank. Mileage was about 10MPG with about 25 gallons usable, so MPG meter would have read about 250 miles with a full gas tank.

When I unhitched the trailer, my real-life MPG immediately returned to normal -- but the backward-looking statistics on my dashboard took about 100 miles to catch up (even though I thought I reset the meter).

That's just what happens when you use moving averages to predict the future.

The same thing happens to EVs. The fundamental math is the same, even though the units are different.

If the Mach-E's last driver took it to the track, it's going to report a shorter range than if its last driver treated it like a Prius. 🤷‍♂️
Spot on my friend....what do you think the cybertruck duel would be with a 6k trailer? half the range?
Maybe 150 miles flat surfaces until plugin needed to a big Sequoia tree charger out there?

Advertisement

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
Spot on my friend....what do you think the cybertruck duel would be with a 6k trailer? half the range?
Maybe 150 miles flat surfaces until plugin needed to a big Sequoia tree charger out there?
My best guess at this point is that my particular travel trailer's range-impact will be about the same on the Cybertruck.

The trailer weighs the same (4200lbs as loaded) and has the same aerodynamic cross section (roughly 88"x88") regardless of what's pulling it.

You're roughly doubling the weight and the aerodynamic cross section of the tow vehicle, and so it's intuitive that it would would take about twice as much energy to move the combination vehicle.

I expect the impact to be pretty similar on the Cybertruck. Its weight and aerodynamic cross section are pretty similar to my GMC Sierra, even if the Cd is a little lower.

With my GMC Sierra, I get about 50% of the unladen range. With the Cybertruck, maybe it'll be 45% or 55% of the original range -- most of the effects we debate on about towing on this board are that last 5%. They're interesting, but the big picture is that I'm towing a brick.

The 500+ mile Tri-motor Cybertruck should be able to do 150-mile legs comfortably. My WAG is that the Cybertruck CT3 would have 250 miles of range when towing my travel trailer.

However, that's not all there is to the story. My GMC Sierra has an eCVT in front of a 4-speed auto (GM 2-Mode Hybrid Transmission), and we took it about 30 minutes down the road yesterday. With an 18kt tailwind, we were making 65mph at around 2200 gas-engine-RPM. On our return trip, we were going in to a 28kt headwind, and making 65mph at around 3500 gas-engine-RPM. That's a big increase in power-output, which isn't surprising since our airspeed was around 90mph on a 65mph groundspeed. I don't have good MPG numbers, but my WAG impact on MPG was +-3 MPG on a 10MPG. Wind is a big deal. If my WAG is in the right neighborhood, the Cybertruck would have a range of about 210 miles under those conditions.

Even with the wind impact, you should still be able to comfortably make 150-mile legs in sub-optimal conditions with a CT3 and my travel trailer.

P.S The physics are pretty much the same for ICE tow vehicles. Those drivers just stop for gas more often.

Last edited:

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
Do you have the 6k-lbs trailer now?

Is there any chance you can measure the MPG of the tow vehicle with and without it?

DVANDERM

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Country flag
Range is based on how the last driver drove.

This is true of ICE vehicles, too.

It has little to do with the condition of the battery, generally.

-Crissa
Yep. Lead foot will significantly reduce range.

I'm not saying I have a lead foot and would know anything about this of course. ;)

jhciv

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
The Mach E's range has been quite impressive in real world tests. Despite the shorter rating, it actually outlasted a Model Y in an apples-to-apples comparison (see Alex on Auto's video).

Edited to add: It does have a 25%-ish bigger battery pack than the Tesla, so it's clearly less efficient, but still a solid first effort at a BEV from the blue oval IMHO.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Edited to add: It does have a 25%-ish bigger battery pack than the Tesla, so it's clearly less efficient, but still a solid first effort at a BEV from the blue oval IMHO.
Yeah, once you start needing to recharge, that will start counting against your overall distance-per-day.

Not to mention, up front cost.

-Crissa

OP

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Update! These are from my area, middle tennessee, it’s not winter, still massively unimpressive range. One car is at 99% charged, only 14 miles on the OD, and it’s the 300 mile “long range” RWD version and it shows 204 range. They are all the large pack premium trim ones. Me thinks F150 lightening buyers will not find this acceptable if they don’t find a way to improve their real world range figures.
CF28B2A3-00D5-4892-BC66-9DE42BB16714.jpeg

80CB2490-9452-4805-B7BB-E540BCC74E53.jpeg

EC76EFBE-03D1-484E-93B1-1405D9C039CF.jpeg

A01D89F8-F3C1-46B0-BD24-068B6B5BA980.jpeg

Bud

First Name
Ramon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Could it be that Ford, in a hurry to beat other Big Three car manufacturers, put out an abomination that just won't work in the real world? I mean, come on, I don't care how the last guy drove, if I'm driving an electric Mustang, and have 93% battery, I'm not gonna be happy about a range of 127 miles. Back to the drawing board, boys.
Won't take long for the facts to come out.

Advertisement

Advertisement