Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I think you can do it at home, and I didn't see any suggestion about it being charged at supercharger to 100% in this thread.
Sorry, you are correct, I thought that I read it. But my statement still stands, Don't charge to 100% at Superchargers!

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Thank you, that helps. Just wish they had more diverse route. city + highway + wilderness.

elevation changes, do they burn range, or do we gain it all back downhill?
Both. You use range going up hill and the regenerative braking puts some, but not all, back going downhill. I’ve had experiences in my MY where the range went up a percentage point coming downhill where I didn’t have to use the accelerator much and let regen control my decent. Does it make a big difference in getting you home or not? Probably not but it’s nice to see it working. The CT’s regen is much stronger so it’ll be interesting to see what a downhill decent will recover.

Last edited:

TeslaFANa

First Name
Fiesky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 model s, 2018 model x, 2024 cybertruck
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Both. You use range going up hill and the regenerative braking puts some, but not all, back going downhill. I’ve had experiences in my MY where the range went up a percentage point coming downhill where I didn’t have to use the accelerator much and let regen control my decent. Does it make a big difference in getting you home or not? Probably not but it’s nice to see it working. The CT’s regen is much stronger so it’ll be interesting to see what a downhill decent will recover.
In my opinion this is true, uphill burns way more energy than what downhill regenerates. That is why all these real world tests where they went uphill one way and downhill on the way back and not really reliable for maximum range. Note that i use the phrase maximum range because i believe you can only get EPA range on EVs during somewhat ideal circumstances, ie warm weather, no rain, relatively flat terrain. I still get close to 100% range on my 2018 MS during trips and 80% city driving (mainly because I'm more aggressive driving day to day since i don't have to worry about range)

MilliVanilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S Plaid, F430
Country flag
It's interesting how all these new forum accounts' first-time questions are about range which Gigahorse immediately responds to, and then is agreed by another brand-new account. No, this couldn't possibly be part of a misinformation/spam campaign.. :D

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
In my opinion this is true, uphill burns way more energy than what downhill regenerates. That is why all these real world tests where they went uphill one way and downhill on the way back and not really reliable for maximum range. Note that i use the phrase maximum range because i believe you can only get EPA range on EVs during somewhat ideal circumstances, ie warm weather, no rain, relatively flat terrain. I still get close to 100% range on my 2018 MS during trips and 80% city driving (mainly because I'm more aggressive driving day to day since i don't have to worry about range)
I've got a 4,000 ft hill that I regularly cover. The loss is significant going up the hill, the EPA number starts dropping and the usage pegs the meter at 999.
On the way, the regen pegs the meter at -999 and the EPA number recovers. Are the two numbers equal, no, they are off by the actual road distance.
Indeed, it won't put as much back as it took out, but it will to a great percentage.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Yea some of those new accounts are a little suspect, like the ones made in the last couple of months
Tesla Cybertruck Real world range zimage7230
:)

I am sure the forum in general has a lot of new members like you and myself as the truck is finally more than a "someday" and more of a "now"

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Gravity, like inertia, is 100% efficient at storing energy potential, unlike using your battery and regen, which loses energy every time you use it.

So if the road and traffic allows for it, coasting will get you much further than regen braking ever will.

Regen should only be used to reduce speed for corners, traffic, or to reduce top speed downhill.

Use ABRP and look at the difference in going to Pikes Peak from CS. Going to the top of Pikes Peak one way uses 6% more battery than going up and down, which is twice the distance.

This is because the hill becomes your "energy storage" when you drive down it.
No batteries required.

Seriously though, this should be common knowledge, when was the last time you guys rode a bike up and down a hill? 😉

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The steeper the hill on the way back down, the more you can recover with regen, until you start using friction. The slower the gradient down, the more energy you need to add to maintain speed. The more weight you have, the better the regen, until you have to use friction. Your regen is capped by the battery pack's ability to absorb it, too.

Hills are a mixed bag about getting energy back. Coasting is better than regen, if you can do it. That's why the Semi has a physical clutch.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yes I'm aware of coasting, I assume the car handles that and thus it factors into the range without me having to think about it or you mansplain it to me.
No the car doesn't "handle this" at all. It's up to the driver to drive in such a way as to avoid regen to get the most out if it.

Just like it's up to the driver to choose the travel speeds, or how fast they accelerate or brake, or how close they follow traffic, or when and how often they charge etc etc.

If you would think about it a bit more then I wouldn't have to explain anything? 😉

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The steeper the hill on the way back down, the more you can recover with regen, until you start using friction. The slower the gradient down, the more energy you need to add to maintain speed. The more weight you have, the better the regen, until you have to use friction. Your regen is capped by the battery pack's ability to absorb it, too.

Hills are a mixed bag about getting energy back. Coasting is better than regen, if you can do it. That's why the Semi has a physical clutch.

-Crissa
Why does it have clutch? For hills??

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
It's interesting how all these new forum accounts' first-time questions are about range which Gigahorse immediately responds to, and then is agreed by another brand-new account. No, this couldn't possibly be part of a misinformation/spam campaign.. :D
Why I ignored him.. I am so much happier

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's just the repetitive nature that annoys me on every single post...

But otherwise we should validate every negative feedback loop.

To not do so is foolhardy.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Charging to 100% at a Supercharger is bad practice and frowned upon.

At 65mph, you can expect slightly less than the blended EPA number, I'd expect 290 miles +-.

If you are doing a long trip, charging to 100% will take the longest amount of time for your trip.
Ok, let me please ask about your SuperCharger comment. I understand what you are saying about a busy SC location. But I’ve stopped at SC locations at “off hours” where for every Tesla that was charging, there were 8-15 open stalls. If you were making a long trek, and decided to have dinner/breakfast/lunch while it charged, why would that be frowned upon?
Sponsored