My CT starts shivering around 76miles/hour. how is yours?

Axwbw

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
On the two other items:
I also see the overnight battery drain. I suspect it is uploading video for FSD training (though my daughter regularly reminds me that they surely ore not using any of my data as good driving examples).

I don't have the side mirror when turning issue because I always have the large screen camera view up that shows both left and right wing plus full front or back view. That way I always have good visibility and don't have the camera views switching on me.
Sponsored

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Ford 4400 Industrial Tractor, 1995 7.0L Ford Dump Truck, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd QuadCab, 2000 F350 4wd, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Park Ranger / Astronomy Entertainer
Country flag
Most of the time, I feel like I'm driving a video game
Yeah! In VR gaming it's call haptic feedback. Get stabbed in the chest by a VR character? You are going to feel it!
https://www.bhaptics.com/

Pretty amazing that CyberTruck has this tech to communicate road conditions back to driver's hands. If Tesla had an advertising / PR department worth a damn, they would make this a selling point. Yay Sandy Munroe!

I wonder how many engineers it took to override Elon's on-brand objection "Delete that expensive part! Soon, all cars will be autonomous and no need for steering wheels!"

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Tread is not the problem, size is. A perfectly balanced AT should have no vibration or feedback felt through the wheel. I have 33" mud tires on my Jeep that drive butter smooth at 90mph. But I've had countless big tires, and anything 35" or bigger is a pain to get perfectly balanced and almost always shake over 70-75mph. My last set of 35's (also Goodyear!) took 4 trips to the tire shop to get right, store manager had to do it himself. Guaranteed Tesla does not perfectly balance the tires that come out a little funky with imbalances from side to side (weights required closer to a specific edge). If I had this problem, I'd get them rebalanced until the vibrations go away. If that doesn't fix it, usually it's just 1 of the 4 that's being extra-difficult and a good tire tech should help you locate and replace the bad one if necessary.
You can also rotate the tires to determine which is out of balance.

General rule: If the steering wheel vibrates, then it's the fronts. If it's your butt, then it's the rears. Not sure if this will work with the drive-by-wire, but once rotated, you should be able to tell if your butt got better or worse and then know which it is. Of course, during the tire rotation, you could have them check the balance...

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
"Son, do you know how fast you were going?"
"It was for science, sir"
That would never happen here in LosAngeles. My average speed is 11 mph.

The last time I did better was Nov. 29, - Dec. 1. Driving a Tesla 3 in Austin Texas

Heck, I was going so fast, I had to strap down my Cowboy hat.

Rick
20231130_205427.jpg

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I wonder how many engineers it took to override Elon's on-brand objection "Delete that expensive part! Soon, all cars will be autonomous and no need for steering wheels!"
It takes quite an assumption to think Elon objected to steering wheel feedback. The last thing he would want is for his pet Cybertruck project to be widely panned for having steering feel deader than a corpse. If anything, Elon would have included steering wheel feedback similar to a traditional power steering (as a design requirement). Elon's not stupid, no matter how many people try to make him out as such.

I bet the feedback system is pretty simple in that it might use the steering motors electrical draw (vs. input values) as a proxy for actual feedback sensors. In other models, I think that's how Tesla determines if your hands are on the wheels.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm #1 is really concerning. I usually drive around 82 and I haven't noticed any shivering but also haven't been paying super close attention either. I'm gonna pay more attention now.
I remember during the ramp of the Model 3, some early owners felt the haptic feedback in the steering wheel (based on how they had configured warnings to vibrate the steering wheel) and mistook those warnings for an unwanted vibration in the wheel. I believe there is a setting to vibrate the wheel when you exceed a fixed speed (absolute) or exceed the posted speed limit by a certain amount (relative). There are a number of other warnings you can configure off/steering wheel vibration/audio warning, in various combinations.

They felt pretty stupid when they discovered the cause of their complaints!

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Ford 4400 Industrial Tractor, 1995 7.0L Ford Dump Truck, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd QuadCab, 2000 F350 4wd, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Country flag
It takes quite an assumption to think Elon objected to steering wheel feedback....

Elon's not stupid, no matter how many people try to make him out as such.

Okay... Perhaps, I was hasty to jump to such speculation. I was thinking along the lines that "Past performance is the best indicator of future performance."

So met me share some past perfomance that causes me to question the wisdom of Elon's decision making:

#1 Removing radar was questionable.

#2 Removing ultra sonics was stupid.
Because:
a) cost nearly nothing: I had one replaced for $90 including labor.

b) road grime blindness: "Please don't hit me on this busy highway while I get out of my car in this blizzard and scrape the ice off my cameas. Hell! You can smear peanutbutter over the ultrasonics and they still work great. I know because I actually test the absurdity I use to prove my points.

c) Elon (or somebody smarter) has apparently decided to bring back ultra sonics.

#3 Camera washer where?!

Which exposure of any vehicle accumulates the most road grime and ice? Yep, the low rear, especially on Trucks! Why is their a washer on our CyberTruck's front camera but not the rear? Through the front, it looks like we have a pretty big window with a pretty big wiper. Thru the back we have a pretty small window and only when vault is open (or course me and my 95-days VIN waiting, are operating on hearsay).

QED: Stupid.

Er excuse me woefully out-of-touch with reality, short on real-world experience, almost certainly overruled his engineers who might have actually driven a truck before, who I'll bet you a CyberTruck wiper replacement said stuff like:

"Well Boss, we could put a fluid tank under rear seat and then a camera on a tiny aerodynamic nub on back of cab pointing reaward, where most trucks have there cameras. In our case just above the closed vault. From that vantage point driver could also keep an eye on whatever they are hauling in the back. Like maybe a fridge? And if that somebody isnt just an insecure Celeb or a thirsty influencer and actually bought our truck, so they could have a TRUCK, and actually tows something; they could see what they are towing! And since that is the cleanest place on trucks we might not even need a camera washer there. But just to be safe, let's try it on the Foundation Series trucks. What's more that it will be moderatly harder for those whiners to bitch about the $20k premium that includes the $12k FSD we will only have to worry about implementing after we have figured out how to make the Roadster "2020" fly... you know, important stuff... BOSS!"

And then those engineers show themselves out, and have their desked pack-up while Elon is still banging-on with one of his "I'm as crazy as my Dad Errol now. Might it be epigenetic? I don't know! My imagine expertise in biology is unfamiliar with big medical words!" temper tantrums about the extra $100 cost of all that unnecessary "Best part is no part", "stupidity!"

Biographers say he actually supplants offensive language like "stupidity" with "fucking moron!"

...and now I'll just jeep waiting for my VIN... a "little" longer?

Biographers also document Elon is more vengeful about truth-to-power "Free Speach" than he is appreciative for product improving suggestions based upon 1st principle logic.

Because he is... say it with me kids..."St...

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay... Perhaps, I was hasty to jump to such speculation. I was thinking along the lines that "Past performance is the best indicator of future performance."

So met me share some past perfomance that causes me to question the wisdom of Elon's decision making:
I'll take your opinions seriously when you are the only person in America to create a successful new auto manufacturer in over a century. Fer cryin' out loud, Tesla had the BEST SELLING CAR IN THE WORLD last year. He has knocked Toyota's crown right off their head! And guess what? None of them had radar or ultrasonic sensors!

Get back to me when you achieve one thing comparable to any of Elon's 6 biggest achievements.

Because he is... say it with me kids..."St...
Calling Elon "stupid" is the height of arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, everyone does some stupid things in life, and Elon is no exception, he's human. But one thing he's not is stupid.

What's stupid is claiming that Tesla engineers had to override Elon who wanted zero steering wheel feedback.

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Get back to me when you achieve one thing comparable to any of Elon's 6 biggest achievements.

Calling Elon "stupid" is the height of arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, everyone does some stupid things in life, and Elon is no exception, he's human. But one thing he's not is stupid.

What's stupid is claiming that Tesla engineers had to override Elon who wanted zero steering wheel feedback.
More good points!

I should have said "becoming stupid". again epigenetics? There wasn't nearly as many unforced errors when he was younger.

Twitter for a $42 billion (plus on-going losses) feel like one of these... "Sorry can't afford to add more safety features so as to reduce the amount of employee hospitalizations Boring Company's drilling rig is causing underneath Vegas." un-smart trade-offs so he can manipulate "Free speach."

Who posting here on CTOC can't sing-along to the hyms constrasting the stupidity (okay to use that word when point innthat direction?) of Toyota with the genius of Tesla. UnitedAlliance vs SoaceX, etc. etc. etc. That all off-topic scripture from my-off topic post that is vexing you so.

I'm early to the Fan party as you, if Tesla owenership 2018 is the best measure, though I already had a lot of TSLA by then too. And I continue to acknowledge Elons trumph in creating brands with huge employment appeal. But I also credit the 1000s of engineers involved in advancing Elon's 6 businesses. And I read a lot about what the toil cost them the engineers. Can we not agree that they apparently now so responsible for the success of his companies that the Boss-man can allocate a lot of time to 1-word boosts of ill-informed, demonstrably false propaganda on Twitter?

But if you unstead want to give Elon all the credit, I'm sure he wouldn't disagree.

He has that next level of arrogance so many admire and even swoon-over when exhibited by him, and yet same cult-members circle the wagons by projecting (i.e. the clinical definition) accusations of areogance on others of when they try to highlight Elons falabilities, to interject a little science and engineering critique into the religion/cult-of-personality (i.e. clinical definition).

Which of his biographies do think was the most inaccurate portrayal of how and why he now makes so many of these indisputable unforced errors and alienates his best engineers?

I think Isaacson has best insight so far. But then I haven't read Dawson's yet. That Fan boy cover and title suggest it's going to be sanitized. Nevertheless I got audio book version for my road trip (without my CyberTruck) to SW Texas, and Star Base, next week. Somebody down there invited the #1 ranked Telescope experience on Earth (so says TripAdvisor) to help entertain for the Solar Eclipse.

So in answer to your main question, I guess I only need to create 5 more such business to be allowed to vociferously express a contrary opinion about Elon's new tragectory?

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More good points!

I should have said "becoming stupid". again epigenetics? There wasn't nearly as many unforced errors when he was younger.

Twitter for a $42 billion (plus on-going losses) feel like one of these... "Sorry can't afford to add more safety features so as to reduce the amount of employee hospitalizations Boring Company's drilling rig is causing underneath Vegas." un-smart trade-offs so he can manipulate "Free speach."

Who posting here on CTOC can't sing-along to the hyms constrasting the stupidity (okay to use that word when point innthat direction?) of Toyota with the genius of Tesla. UnitedAlliance vs SoaceX, etc. etc. etc. That all off-topic scripture from my-off topic post that is vexing you so.

I'm early to the Fan party as you, if Tesla owenership 2018 is the best measure, though I already had a lot of TSLA by then too. And I continue to acknowledge Elons trumph in creating brands with huge employment appeal. But I also credit the 1000s of engineers involved in advancing Elon's 6 businesses. And I read a lot about what the toil cost them the engineers. Can we not agree that they apparently now so responsible for the success of his companies that the Boss-man can allocate a lot of time to 1-word boosts of ill-informed, demonstrably false propaganda on Twitter?

But if you unstead want to give Elon all the credit, I'm sure he wouldn't disagree.

He has that next level of arrogance so many admire and even swoon-over when exhibited by him, and yet same cult-members circle the wagons by projecting (i.e. the clinical definition) accusations of areogance on others of when they try to highlight Elons falabilities, to interject a little science and engineering critique into the religion/cult-of-personality (i.e. clinical definition).

Which of his biographies do think was the most inaccurate portrayal of how and why he now makes so many of these indisputable unforced errors and alienates his best engineers?

I think Isaacson has best insight so far. But then I haven't read Dawson's yet. That Fan boy cover and title suggest it's going to be sanitized. Nevertheless I got audio book version for my road trip (without my CyberTruck) to SW Texas, and Star Base, next week. Somebody down there invited the #1 ranked Telescope experience on Earth (so says TripAdvisor) to help entertain for the Solar Eclipse.

So in answer to your main question, I guess I only need to create 4 more such business to be allowed to express a contrary opinion about Elon's new tragectory?

Or was that a rhetorical question?
No, just one accomplishment on level with Elon's accomplishment would suffice to show me your intelligence and grit are on par with Elon's. Instead, you show me how much hate you have for the man. You are showing your true colors here. Goodbye.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
#2 Removing ultra sonics was stupid.
Because:
a) cost nearly nothing: I had one replaced for $90 including labor.

b) road grime blindness: "Please don't hit me on this busy highway while I...
So uhh... you admit just one of the (six to eight) sensors cost a hundred bucks each to replace, not to mention the engineering cost of placing them in the first place, and you didn't know they can be blinded by snow/ice/mud, too? And don't work at certain speeds and environmental conditions? And raise the cost of fender-benders?

Well, lately... But that's a human trait when you get out of your area of interest (in his case the engineering side of EVs and spacecraft).

-Crissa
Sponsored