MyTeslaWeekend Rumor - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced!

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am in then having configured my order to dual motor. And the fact that I made my reservation on the night of the reveal.

I promise you all, I'll post the picture to make you droll. šŸ˜ˆ šŸ˜ˆ and envious:sick:.
Sorry thatā€™s not good enough, whatā€™s your address šŸ˜Š
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Iā€™ve wondered for some time if there will be an LR config and an off-road config.

Rivian, lists ranges based on highway friendly tires and suggests off road tires will be a 5-10% range hit. Iā€™d expect the Cybertruck would be similar.

So long as you can get 150+ miles per leg when towing, I think people will be fine with the Cybertruck. It should be possible considering what weā€™ve seen with the Rivian and the Ford.
The CT with 35" AT will be a drag. Tesla will compensate with a bigger battery but this will suck a lot more power than the Rivian with 20" AT. 10% is relative

Your 150 mile leg needs to include 10-15% range for battery life.

And knock it off Ogre I am trying to move up a couple spots. Sure people could get by doing 100-150 mile legs if only tow occasionally but time is money for many.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The CT with 35" AT will be a drag. Tesla will compensate with a bigger battery but this will suck a lot more power than the Rivian with 20" AT. 10% is relative

Your 150 mile leg needs to include 10-15% range for battery life.

And knock it off Ogre I am trying to move up a couple spots. Sure people could get by doing 100-150 mile legs if only tow occasionally but time is money for many.
Are the CT tires that much bigger than the Rivian? Hadnā€™t realized they were that far apart.

Verdict is still out for sure on towing.

I just think 3 hours (150 miles) is decent between stop distance.

Wore my Cybertruck tee shirt today so Iā€™m in maximum fan mode.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
This is why I bought 2 reservationsā€¦ by the time the second one comes up 1-2 years after the first, maybe Iā€™ll have buyers remorse and itā€™s an opportunity switch tracks. Also to lock in FSD at a date far enough into the future where I think itā€™ll be worth $10k.
And that, my friends, is how it's done.
This is why I reserved 100,000 Cybertrucks, I'll just keep getting the new one every time they vertically integrate an improvement, for the best CT ever, always! Only cost me $10,000,000 so far. Unloading the outdated one won't be a problem.
Hey, what if most of us did the same thing?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Rivian runs 33" and 34" tyres depending on configuration, I think you'll get more range difference from different tread patterns than the extra 1" the CT has.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And that, my friends, is how it's done.
This is why I reserved 100,000 Cybertrucks, I'll just keep getting the new one every time they vertically integrate an improvement, for the best CT ever, always! Only cost me $10,000,000 so far. Unloading the outdated one won't be a problem.
Hey, what if most of us did the same thing?
Someone bought 30 thinking to turn them into a Robotaxi fleet.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think semi is amazing.

~1000kw pack, carrying a heavy semi, and a 80000lb load for 500 miles.

Vs

The lighter CT with 1/5th of the pack, and 1/10th of the load(7000lb RV) can only get to about 50% of semi's range.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Thats 500miles without a trailer with a TM CT. But it can tow 14,000 and put 3500lb in the bed for a total of 17,500 on a 5th wheeler. So a quarter of the payload, seeing the semi and trailer are included in the 80,000lb isn't the payload itself of the semi.

Its mostly about aero, truck tyre run at least double the tyre pressure too.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Makes a lot of sense, just look at the new model Y which comes only in standard range format thanks to shortage of batteries and probably many other things. I got a dual and a tri in order so which ever comes first Iā€™ll take it!!! Canā€™t wait!!!

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'm waiting for the quad; decided that crab walking a Mcdonalds drive-thru is more important to me...
The real question is though; "do you want fries with that?" :p

I'm 90% sure all CTs will have 4WS standard.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So long as you can get 150+ miles per leg when towing, I think people will be fine with the Cybertruck. It should be possible considering what weā€™ve seen with the Rivian and the Ford.
early adopter experience with the F150L is that towing range is wildly dependent less on weight, and more on the peculiar aerodynamics of the vehicle+towed item. Afterall, when MX and MY can experience a 25% range hit from a loaded hitch-mounted bicycle rack, imagine instead a 12ā€™ trailer full of bicycles. Then add the normal range variants (wind, temp, elevation, etc.).

I now place massive and many asterisks near either (1) any manufacturerā€™s aspirational towing claims, and (2) any truck-ownerā€™s tails/complaints of long/short distance towing.

Will a reasonably equipped CT be able to tow something 150 miles? Absolutely.

Will it also be able to tow something else far less than 150 miles? Also absolutely.

Frankly, anyone with their heart set on towing should take advantage of the $40,000 tax credit for the semi and probably come out not terribly more expensive than the eventual CT with maximum towing capabilities.

(Iā€™m talking myself into a semi.)!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think you'll get more range difference from different tread patterns than the extra 1" the CT has.
tread pattern + contact patch (especially width)+ offset + weight

Altogether easily would believe a cumulative effect of >10-15% is possible from seemingly nominal differences in tire choices

that saidā€¦

Rivian, lists ranges based on highway friendly tires and suggests off road tires will be a 5-10% range hit. Iā€™d expect the Cybertruck would be similar.
ā€¦ Car&Driver saw a +30% delta increase between 20ā€ AT street and 22ā€ all season tires on a Rivian in a 75mph test - suggesting both:

(1) wheel diameter increase effects can be more than compensated (for better or worse) by tire construction/tread type, and

(2) like speed/aerodynamic effects on range, the range hit from tire size might not be static for all speeds but instead depend significantly (exponentially?) on increasing speeds

Throw big AT tires and wheels on a CT and try to do 80mph and you may experience a significant difference in range from a street tire at the same speed
Sponsored