MyTeslaWeekend Rumor - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Funny how nobody seems to blink at mentioning a quad only release with the quad being $80k locking out 60% of buyers. But mention a dual only release and people are suddenly worried about unhappy customers. Tri motor reservation holders might cry!
That’s your perception bias. There is lots of blinking for both scenarios. Whole lot of blinking.
Sponsored

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I always thought Elon said they would do the Quad motor. I guess until
I hear from him, that’s what we should expect. Also, FSD is going up Sept. 5. Whopping 15k everyone.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hear from him, that’s what we should expect. Also, FSD is going up Sept. 5. Whopping 15k everyone.
Elon also said the Cybertruck would be out in 2021. And he said there would be 3 models, with 1,2, and 3 motors and that the tri and the dual would come out first (together).

Elon says a lot of things casually which people want to interpret as promises or fact.

When he says these things, they likely represent the current intent and most likely outcome, but sometimes things don’t work out the way. When the statement and reality are months or years apart, things don’t always happen as advertised.

If launching with the quad is going to reduce initial volume significantly, Tesla will launch with the dual. They aren’t bending over backwards to make a point here.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Elon also said the Cybertruck would be out in 2021. And he said there would be 3 models, with 1,2, and 3 motors and that the tri and the dual would come out first (together).

Elon says a lot of things casually which people want to interpret as promises or fact.

When he says these things, they likely represent the current intent and most likely outcome, but sometimes things don’t work out the way. When the statement and reality are months or years apart, things don’t always happen as advertised.

If launching with the quad is going to reduce initial volume significantly, Tesla will launch with the dual. They aren’t bending over backwards to make a point here.
Very true.
man, I just want my Cybertruck with 500+ miles. 😭

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There isn't a CF shortage, and even if there were Tesla could use the non-CF motors for dual and still deliver enough performance if they wanted to.

Accordingly, there is no motor shortage period. Blink.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Funny how nobody seems to blink at mentioning a quad only release with the quad being $80k locking out 60% of buyers. But mention a dual only release and people are suddenly worried about unhappy customers. Tri motor reservation holders might cry!
Exactly.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

This argument means you also can't complain when people say the price wont be the same as announced!

He says a lot of things. Who knows which of them will be held as such.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This argument means you also can't complain when people say the price wont be the same as announced!

He says a lot of things. Who knows which of them will be held as such.
I think Musk made it clear price is changing. Specs are changing… ??? Who knows.

My only “Complaint” when people say the price won’t be the same as launch is usually it includes some ridiculous assumed price change and the assertion that 50% - 100% increases are “Inevitable”.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Of all the news and rumors that get my undies in a knot... this isn't it.

I've waited this long, I'll just keep waiting for the tri or Plaid. I know myself enough to know the feeling that I hate (this is my specific personality trait) is not getting the car with the top specs. I'll just drive around with fomo, thinking "If I had just gotten the other version. . .". God forbid I encounter the fringe use where the top spec would have helped. It's happened to me before and, to me, it takes away the joy of having it.

I know myself well enough to just wait if they're not delivering the tri or plaid first. I've waited this long— may as well wait a little longer to get the one I really want.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Of all the news and rumors that get my undies in a knot... this isn't it.

I've waited this long, I'll just keep waiting for the tri or Plaid. I know myself enough to know the feeling that I hate (this is my specific personality trait) is not getting the car with the top specs. I'll just drive around with fomo, thinking "If I had just gotten the other version. . .". God forbid I encounter the fringe use where the top spec would have helped. It's happened to me before and, to me, it takes away the joy of having it.

I know myself well enough to just wait if they're not delivering the tri or plaid first. I've waited this long— may as well wait a little longer to get the one I really want.
This is why I bought 2 reservations… by the time the second one comes up 1-2 years after the first, maybe I’ll have buyers remorse and it’s an opportunity switch tracks. Also to lock in FSD at a date far enough into the future where I think it’ll be worth $10k.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I will have a duel with 7000lb towing.. but

Give me 500 miles .... plus .. with one less motor, swap that savings and charge me extra and give me more miles.

Duel, 800 miles for $70,000 TY. I want to tow.

Actually.... I really want the quad lol ...
With there be a feature like... Dual motor, running single will be the EV version of hybrid. You'll have modes you can enable the second motor, like 4 wheel drive on an ICE truck.

Towing? 4 wheel needs? Sport speed? Enable second motor. Mall crawling like most trucks do 98% of the time... single motor.

You won't be getting that level of range I bet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I will have a duel with 7000lb towing.. but

Give me 500 miles .... plus .. with one less motor, swap that savings and charge me extra and give me more miles.

Duel, 800 miles for $70,000 TY. I want to tow.

Actually.... I really want the quad lol ...
Motors are light and inexpensive compared to batteries. Having a second motor also increases efficiency a bit since they can have a motor geared for getting the truck moving, and a second one for highway cruising.

Adding 300 miles range is a 30,000 expense. Removing a motor is a $700 savings. There is no world where you’d be able to make this trade.

I’d be quite happy with dual motor/ 500 miles. If I tow and have a 7k limit on the trailer I’ll get by just fine.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Dual motor first makes a lot of sense. But putting the 500 mile truck and the 14,000 pound towing truck off for 3-4 years? Nah. Maybe it would be 6 months out.
500 miles with big AT tires is hard. I think Tesla is going to have to walk that back a bit.

I am a huge EV proponent but towing large loads over 100 miles is going to be disappointing for everyone.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
500 miles with big AT tires is hard. I think Tesla is going to have to walk that back a bit.

I am a huge EV proponent but towing large loads over 100 miles is going to be disappointing for everyone.
I’ve wondered for some time if there will be an LR config and an off-road config.

Rivian, lists ranges based on highway friendly tires and suggests off road tires will be a 5-10% range hit. I’d expect the Cybertruck would be similar.

So long as you can get 150+ miles per leg when towing, I think people will be fine with the Cybertruck. It should be possible considering what we’ve seen with the Rivian and the Ford.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
even if I dont get the CT and get the Y, I would never pay 15k for something that has not worked or increased in its rating since I got it for 6k on my M3 and MS.....and now for the same rating of 2 for 15k.......you got to be kidding me....
Sponsored