cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
When you look at the timelines of when the beast starts shipping and the RWD, and that the AWDs are being promised Jan-Mar, you have to ask yourself, what are they shipping in April?
point of process:

the emails never said all Foundation AWD ever made will be delivered then. The emails said that people configuring in those tranches should expect them delivered then.

case in point are the Beast emails. First tranch(E’s) that went out said “early 2024” then later tranches said “mid to late 2024,” because the emails were projecting deliveries on rolling basis

so yes, while it is possible that every Foundation invite that’s gone out to date are the entirety of Foundation invites, it’s also possible that Foundation invites are not yet over, and rolling basis delivery estimates continue coming out.

On the latter possibility, the question of when we see first retail configuration emails come out would all depend on Tesla’s then current view of (a) how long it will take them to complete build/delivery of the Foundations on order, and (b) their comfort level of how far out they’d tell retail configurations they’ll be waiting for delivery.

if eg in February they think it’ll take them 4 more months to complete deliveries of Foundation AWD, and Tesla doesn’t mind telling retail configurations they’ll be waiting 5-9 months for initial deliveries, then yes maybe we see retail configs in February

if eg instead in Feb they think it’ll take them 6 more months to complete deliveries of Foundation AWD, and Tesla doesn’t want to tell retail configs that they’ll be waiting 7-12 months for deliveries, then we maybe won’t see retail configs in Feb

this and next week Tesla behavior should tell us a bit about which way the wind is blowing
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Looks like no tax credit for the Cybertruck in 2024.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but figured I would get out there so those placing orders are not surprised.

((BTW, the Ford Lighting ($7500) and Rivian ($3750) still qualify for the credit.))

From, fueleconomy.gov
The TESLAs that still qualify.
1704141628943.png
That is only for right now. We do not know when the ‘regular’ priced AWD will begin sales.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
People like myself who ordered on December 8th and got December to March are hoping for March and are prepared for later. Everyone else who is waiting are prepared to get the sub $80K truck with $7500 tax credit in April. Only one group here is living in reality.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
point of process:

the emails never said all Foundation AWD ever made will be delivered then. The emails said that people configuring in those tranches should expect them delivered then.

case in point are the Beast emails. First tranch(E’s) that went out said “early 2024” then later tranches said “mid to late 2024,” because the emails were projecting deliveries on rolling basis

so yes, while it is possible that every Foundation invite that’s gone out to date are the entirety of Foundation invites, it’s also possible that Foundation invites are not yet over, and rolling basis delivery estimates continue coming out.

On the latter possibility, the question of when we see first retail configuration emails come out would all depend on Tesla’s then current view of (a) how long it will take them to complete build/delivery of the Foundations on order, and (b) their comfort level of how far out they’d tell retail configurations they’ll be waiting for delivery.

if eg in February they think it’ll take them 4 more months to complete deliveries of Foundation AWD, and Tesla doesn’t mind telling retail configurations they’ll be waiting 5-9 months for initial deliveries, then yes maybe we see retail configs in February

if eg instead in Feb they think it’ll take them 6 more months to complete deliveries of Foundation AWD, and Tesla doesn’t want to tell retail configs that they’ll be waiting 7-12 months for deliveries, then we maybe won’t see retail configs in Feb

this and next week Tesla behavior should tell us a bit about which way the wind is blowing
I can tell you that your timeline is not Tesla's plan.

That's because they are indicating Jan-Mar. That's Tesla's plan.
And sure, there may be another group of invites going out with Apr-May, but it hasn't happened yet.

Sure, it will depend on if the factory can ramp at the rate that they are anticipating.

But I'm going to stand by my statement.

And you seem to think assign more credence to the Beast delivery change than I think is deserved. Tesla could indeed be intending to deliver a few Beasts in the early part of 2024, but not a bunch of them. Or it could have simply been a typo that wasn't caught until they saw the orders coming in.

But I dare say that they have decided to focus on only a single model on the production line first.

It's not as if they did the same thing with the Model 3. It happened to be the LR RWD first and then the Performance AWD and then the standard AWD near when they discontinued the LR RWD. Sounds similar, doesn't it.

Don't know for sure, but since you don't list owning a Tesla, I'm guessing that you haven't experienced Tesla's history.

OP
OP
FarAway

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
The FS AWD will qualify. The price is listed on my Purchase Agreement as $79,990. The FS is an addon of accessories which are not included for pricing qualification. Be patient.
I had heard that about price not counting accessories and ad-ons, but that is not quite how the IRS FAQs read. See the Question 4 answer below, (emphasis mine). Ad-ons and options do count toward the MSRP according to the IRS. I am not sure about FSD, but I can guess what the IRS will say about that also.

from: IRS updates frequently asked questions related to new, previously owned and qualified commercial clean vehicle credits

Q3. Are there any price limitations on new clean vehicles eligible forthe credit? (updated October 6, 2023)
A3. Yes. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the new clean vehicle may not exceed the following amounts for the following vehicle types:
‱ Vans - $80,000
‱ Sport Utility Vehicles - $80,000
‱ Pickup Trucks - $80,000
‱ Other - $55,000
If the MSRP exceeds the limitation for that specific vehicle type, that vehicle is not eligible for the new clean vehicle credit. The Department of Energy hosts a purchaser-friendly version of IRS’s list of eligible clean vehicles, including battery electric, plug-in hybrid, and fuel cell vehicles, that qualified manufacturers have indicated to the IRS meet the requirements to claim the new clean vehicle credit on FuelEconomy.gov, including the applicable MSRP limitation.

Q4. How will I know what the MSRP is for a vehicle? (added December 29, 2022)
A4. The MSRP will be on the vehicle information label attached to each vehicle on a dealer’s premises. The MSRP for this purpose is the base retail price suggested by the manufacturer, plus the retail price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer. It does not include destination charges or optional items added by the dealer, or taxes and fees.

Q5. Would I still qualify for the new clean vehicle credit if the purchase price, including sales tax, fees, negative equity on a trade, etc., exceeds the MSRP threshold? (added December 29, 2022)
A5. The credit limitations on the price of the vehicle are based on MSRP, not the actual price you paid for the vehicle. See FAQ 3 for how to determine the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Q6. If the manufacturer/dealer offers incentives on the purchase, and the total purchase price drops below the MSRP limitation, willthe vehicle be eligible for the new clean vehicles credit? (added December 29, 2022)
A6. The credit limitations on the price of the vehicle are based on MSRP, not the actual price you paid for the vehicle. See FAQ 3 for how to determine MSRP.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Don't know for sure, but since you don't list owning a Tesla, I'm guessing that you haven't experienced Tesla's history.
I don’t know if you merely lurked for a while before registering a membership here, but I’ve either experienced, followed, or caught-up plenty of Tesla’s history

but perhaps more to the point, compared to other Tesla’s in the past, this particular Tesla - is being built right here in my backyard, within my community of peers

which is to say: frankly, it’s *you* who seems if anything unfamiliar with Tesla’s history of giving rolling and advancing delivery expectation windows as orders come in.

as they are so far doing with the CT.

if we see several more tranches of FS confirmations come out, you will see rolling and advancing delivery expectation windows.

just like we’ve already seen with BOTH the AWD (first tranches said Dec-March, subsequent Jan-March) and the Beast

But I dare say that they have decided to focus on only a single model on the production line first.
they haven’t “decided” to focus on AWD, unless by “decided” you are including the concept of “forced to by reason of production constraints making it impossible for them to produce Beasts in any other build blend than the one you are witnessing (eg ~1 out of 10 builds).

There was no typo. They are building so few beasts, and foresee no alleviation in that bottleneck sufficient yet, to do anything more than tell first tranche orders that they won’t see a beast until “early 2024” and later tranche orders until “mid to late 2024”

I’m not here armchairing alongside you, I’m telling you

I can tell you that your timeline is not Tesla's plan.
no, you cannot tell me that

because what Indescribed to you are two essentially equally plausible future possibilities, the resolution of which is not yet determined.

prior to a ~week before Nov 30, the “plan” was to build 1,000 FS. During the ~week before Nov 30, thr plan changed to building only FS through all of Q1, how many that would be as being anyone’s guess, entirely dependent on the ramp. This is why the “limited edition” FS is not a *numbered* limited edition.

which background is not to assert that building FS though Q1 is a “plan” written in stone that I or anyone can guarantee, but on the contrary and instead by way of example that no “plan” is written in stone or can be guaranteed.

That's because they are indicating Jan-Mar. That's Tesla's plan.
And sure, there may be another group of invites going out with Apr-May, but it hasn't happened yet.
if I tell you all and only that I’m going to the store next week, that is not also telling you that I’m not going to the store the following week.

Least of all if I have a history of going to the store weekly (giving rolling delivery updates).

Which is why I prognosticated the main future possible outcomes as I did.

If Tesla were to stick with the plan of building only FS through Q1, and if Tesla has already received as many FS AWD orders as it feels it could possibly build in Q1, then we wouldn’t expect to see more FS invite tranches, and would expect to see retail AWD configuration invites sometime in advance of end of Q1 (to backfill orders to begin builds early Q2).

meanwhile, they’ll be building/delivering only FS Beasts for quite some time after Q1. If they begin allowing configurations if retail beasts sooner, then expect to see Tesla’s rolling delivery estimates for these retail beasts to stretch even further into and past 2024 (unless Tesla surprises it’s own current expectations for relieving the Beast bottleneck)

In all, our respective attitudes of certainty here may read similar, but the underlying basis for my belief is the source of my certainty - which basis for my believe simultaneously informs me of your lack of information and understanding.

it’s not that my certainty isn’t subject to fault, so much as my certainty is in the main far less subject to fault than those divining their view from the armchair.

and it’s not that I have the same or any degree of certainty on all subjects, as much as that when you do see me pipe up it’s a signal. There are hundreds of threads here for which I don’t comment or contribute, still others in which I only ask questions or express confusion/uncertainty, still others in which I clearly express when I’m merely deducing to the best of my reason.

then there are threads where I try and help when/where I can, based on - if nothing else - having at least more info than the average bear.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The FS AWD will qualify. The price is listed on my Purchase Agreement as $79,990. The FS is an addon of accessories which are not included for pricing qualification. Be patient.
it will not qualify, and I wouldn’t mind so much about this sort of assertion if it didn’t run the risk of confusing people making financial planning decisions regarding the costs of these trucks

if a key piece of your financial planning is to get that rebate, then you should engage your/a tax professional to guide

what you are describing is not how the credit calculation works. And for good reason: every single OEM could completely game the system and make every vehicle qualify.

Here is how your Monroney will read:

Tesla Cybertruck NO TAX CREDIT!  Tesla Cybertruck 2024 3962ED47-79C7-4429-B479-D0D9C8F2C93C

Here, for reference, is the analogue in a Model Y Monroney:

Tesla Cybertruck NO TAX CREDIT!  Tesla Cybertruck 2024 032465C9-9233-4B28-8F2C-DE6B65F870B3

The “price listed on [your] Purchase Agreement as $79,990” is analogous to the above “Model Y” listed at $54K

The “Foundation Series” listed at $20K in your purchase agreement, is analogous to the above “Performance Dual Motor All Wheel Drive” at $35K

which arrives at a MY purchase price of >$90K

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
My guess is. It would qualify fine.

They haven't registered it for this year yet.

And it's all part of the plan.

Because you are more likely to get a foundation series if you don't think you could get the federal credit anyway.

A little sneaky imo.

But hey .. that's just a theory.

A Tesla theory.

Aaaand cut
Agree 100%. It's a sales obfuscation strategy. Tesla doesn't want to cannibalize FS sales during 2024 by explicitly listing the dual motor CT as qualifying for the 2024 tax credit so they put out a generic statement that it "should" qualify maybe later this year. I get the strategy, even if IMHO is somewhat disingenuous and dishonest on some level. For many of us, like me, if we know for a fact that we could purchase a dual motor CT later this year and receive the $7500 POS credit - we would simply wait. I will wait regardless, as I have zero interest in paying the extra $20k for being an early adopter.

The vast majority of people being offered the FS option have likely voted to pass it by. Tesla is already up in the RN11281xxxx range according to posts here on on other CT groups/forums and I'm at RN11286xxx range. I'm in the 106k range "in line" if we believe any of the reservation estimators - which means the vast majority of the roughly 100k other reservation holders that came before me - have likely not converted their reservations to FS orders - otherwise they wouldn't still be offering up FS reservation conversions. I'd be curious to know just how many of that 100k have actually converted reservations into FS orders. I hope that Tesla speaks to this type of data at the Q4 quarterly investors meeting. I'd guess well under 10% have converted given the steep price increases since initial announcement, coupled with another $20k added on top of those increases.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I don’t know if you merely lurked for a while before registering a membership here, but I’ve either experienced, followed, or caught-up plenty of Tesla’s history
And this is all speculation. I just offer a different perspective, that is congruent with my experience with Tesla, my having early releases of both the Model 3 and Model Y, and the answering of over 10,000 questions on the other Tesla forums with 1,000s of Likes.
I even had my wife happily standing in line, that monumental day in March 2016 to order the Model 3., nearly 8 years ago.

We hopefully will soon see who is closer to reality.