Puhiniho

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Can you pay a portion with credit card? Does it need to be certified check? Regular check? Also picking up mine on Sat but in Seattle.
Sponsored

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
This is great I am in Greenville waiting on my vin.hope to see you around town!

scohen2002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
I brought a certified check....balance due was slightly different at pickup and I just needed to send them a few dollars more in the app. I really recommend not paying in advance if you can get your hands on a certified check. Tesla said a certified check would in no way slow down delivery.
Can’t stress this enough. The app allowed me to configure final payment when I configured (glitch/bug) and I’ve been out $30,000 since Jan 9th and I still have no vin. DO NOT PAY EARLY they will extract the funds. Understand I didn’t expect them with withdrawal it I thought the app was just allowing me to set up how I’d pay at delivery not they it would fire right away.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Can you pay a portion with credit card? Does it need to be certified check? Regular check? Also picking up mine on Sat but in Seattle.
i dont see your order details. can you give us

* first 5 of your RN
* Date you configured your truck
* date you got your VIN

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Well I guess no VINS and no deliveries for the next two weeks. I will then be well past 100 days……….
They rescheduled me to 3/30. They said they were still hopeful it would be this week as the request for the part was expedited. Not holding my breath, but hoping that's true!

I brought a certified check....balance due was slightly different at pickup and I just needed to send them a few dollars more in the app. I really recommend not paying in advance if you can get your hands on a certified check. Tesla said a certified check would in no way slow down delivery.
That is correct, certified check is fine. I ended up having Bank of America send a wire because I had so little time and it avoided the extra step of having the money clear and getting a check. I did this as late as possible, and Tesla will still end up with my money before I get the truck. Hopefully this won't drag on over time.

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
i dont see your order details. can you give us

* first 5 of your RN
* Date you configured your truck
* date you got your VIN
Added this to original post...

RN#: RN11274xxxx
Configured: 12/19/23
VIN received: 3/22/23
Scheduled Delivery: 3/28/24 (originally)
Delayed Delivery Date: 3/30/24 (as of now, dependent on part)

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Can’t stress this enough. The app allowed me to configure final payment when I configured (glitch/bug) and I’ve been out $30,000 since Jan 9th and I still have no vin. DO NOT PAY EARLY they will extract the funds. Understand I didn’t expect them with withdrawal it I thought the app was just allowing me to set up how I’d pay at delivery not they it would fire right away.
I agree with this. Definitely DO NOT pay without having a VIN. Even after a VIN and delivery date, I had money wired last minute because they surprised me with delivery date. Then they delayed the night before pickup. Tesla is very much going by the seat of your pants right now. If you can't live without the down payment money for a while, then I would highly recommend a check.

I don't think Tesla is doing any of this on purpose. They just run fast and loose. This has positives and negatives. Having built several companies that have scaled and/or sold, I have had to operate this way often. It has positives, but can leave a bit of a wake of destruction with customers. I guess it doesn't bother me as much because I have been on the other side. But it makes total sense how this pisses off a lot of customers.

defrostedcanuck

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Porsche Taycan, Cybertruck AWD FS
Occupation
Nerdy Sales Guy
Country flag
I agree with this. Definitely DO NOT pay without having a VIN. Even after a VIN and delivery date, I had money wired last minute because they surprised me with delivery date. Then they delayed the night before pickup. Tesla is very much going by the seat of your pants right now. If you can't live without the down payment money for a while, then I would highly recommend a check.

I don't think Tesla is doing any of this on purpose. They just run fast and loose. This has positives and negatives. Having built several companies that have scaled and/or sold, I have had to operate this way often. It has positives, but can leave a bit of a wake of destruction with customers. I guess it doesn't bother me as much because I have been on the other side. But it makes total sense how this pisses off a lot of customers.
Have we figured out whether or not they are assigning VINs before shipping, en route or when they get to SC?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Have we figured out whether or not they are assigning VINs before shipping, en route or when they get to SC?
Seems to be all of the above, due to a variety of factors. My 3/15 vin didn't actually start moving until probably yesterday or the day before, and the ETA kept changing per my showroom. But some people got assigned vins with 3 days to pickup.

Could be that people aren't ready within the 3 day window before a vin is released, or there was an issue they had to fix so a vin was released while the truck was at the showroom waiting for parts (then reassigned after being fixed)... There's really no way to predict it accurately as it's always different.

Dr.C

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X P90D (sold)
Country flag
Thanks for the info! - Configured my Cyberbeast on 1/31/2024. Local in Spartanburg - Started talking to some G'Ville wrap companies...

robert1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevrolet Corvette
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I was just scheduled to pick up my truck tomorrow in Charlotte. I learned a few things that I want to share in a single post to help others. Note: until tomorrow fully happens, not all of this 100% certain.

• Once you have a VIN, you have a delivery advisor, but you may not know it.
    • If you tap the message icon in the upper right of the app, you can send them messages, and they will answer (albeit slowly and not to every message).
    • I asked them when I might be able to schedule. They responded with "how about Thursday?" Maybe I was lucky, but who knows when they would have gotten around to it if I didn't ask.
    • Based on the messages back and forth, they populated the delivery date in the app. I never click the button and picked a date.
  • You can change from cash to financing after you get a VIN AND delivery date with no noticeable issues.
    • After Tesla offered me a delivery date in 2 days. I quickly switched form Cash to financing in the app and got a loan done with Bank of America (5.75%) done in 1 day. After I changed it, all my agreements updated in real time with new info I needed to finish BofA financing. Tesla's tech pays off here.
    • Don't assume a lot of time from VIN to delivery. Get the basics of financing done so you are not rushed like me. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe VINs are being assigned after they get to SC. I will try to ask tomorrow to confirm.
    • You can pay the down payment with either check or wire or bank account in the app. There are separate wiring instructions for down payment and financial payment on the purchase agreement instructions.
  • Someone from Tesla called me the day before delivery.
    • This could have been because I was chatting questions or it could be standard. However, they did confirm basic details, so I am guessing it's standard.
  • You do NOT need to make final payment before delivery day. As far as I can tell from my experience and reading others, paying ahead of time doesn't help you get the truck quicker.

• You do NOT need to insure the VIN before delivery day.
    • You only need to upload proof that you have ANY car insurance policy. I uploaded proof of insurance of another vehicle. This was verbally confirmed on the phone with Tesla.
  • For me, the stock owner submission didn't seem to help at all.
    • I received the email to submit extra verification AFTER they scheduled me for pickup. This is interesting as my account is linked to Schwab, so I am not sure why they need me to send documents. I probably won't do this since I am already scheduled.
  • I am doubting most theories of what determines what gets you a Cybertruck and when. I don't think that most of the small things matter, but we just hope they do. I bet there is a simpler explanation. ie. someone made up a percentage of trucks that ship to locations and that's why some with low numbers wait longer.

• A Charlotte rep told me that Charlotte have received (maybe delivered?) about 10 trucks. They said my truck was there and ready and had no issues. But did say if they find anything on final clean up this evening they would notify me. (not sure what to make of that)

• I waited 93 days for a VIN (AWD), my first notification of a VIN was a text that I had a new message from Tesla in the app. No emails.

Let me know if I missed any common questions. I can try to ask in person and update this post.
Are you talking about this app, saying when your delivery date is? I need to check mine.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't see any way to "configure" the final payment, the app screen says;

"Make Your Final Payment".

Did your app say something different?

EricTheGreat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was just scheduled to pick up my truck tomorrow in Charlotte. I learned a few things that I want to share in a single post to help others. Note: until tomorrow fully happens, not all of this 100% certain.

• Once you have a VIN, you have a delivery advisor, but you may not know it.
    • If you tap the message icon in the upper right of the app, you can send them messages, and they will answer (albeit slowly and not to every message).
    • I asked them when I might be able to schedule. They responded with "how about Thursday?" Maybe I was lucky, but who knows when they would have gotten around to it if I didn't ask.
    • Based on the messages back and forth, they populated the delivery date in the app. I never click the button and picked a date.
  • You can change from cash to financing after you get a VIN AND delivery date with no noticeable issues.
    • After Tesla offered me a delivery date in 2 days. I quickly switched form Cash to financing in the app and got a loan done with Bank of America (5.75%) done in 1 day. After I changed it, all my agreements updated in real time with new info I needed to finish BofA financing. Tesla's tech pays off here.
    • Don't assume a lot of time from VIN to delivery. Get the basics of financing done so you are not rushed like me. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe VINs are being assigned after they get to SC. I will try to ask tomorrow to confirm.
    • You can pay the down payment with either check or wire or bank account in the app. There are separate wiring instructions for down payment and financial payment on the purchase agreement instructions.
  • Someone from Tesla called me the day before delivery.
    • This could have been because I was chatting questions or it could be standard. However, they did confirm basic details, so I am guessing it's standard.
  • You do NOT need to make final payment before delivery day. As far as I can tell from my experience and reading others, paying ahead of time doesn't help you get the truck quicker.

• You do NOT need to insure the VIN before delivery day.
    • You only need to upload proof that you have ANY car insurance policy. I uploaded proof of insurance of another vehicle. This was verbally confirmed on the phone with Tesla.
  • For me, the stock owner submission didn't seem to help at all.
    • I received the email to submit extra verification AFTER they scheduled me for pickup. This is interesting as my account is linked to Schwab, so I am not sure why they need me to send documents. I probably won't do this since I am already scheduled.
  • I am doubting most theories of what determines what gets you a Cybertruck and when. I don't think that most of the small things matter, but we just hope they do. I bet there is a simpler explanation. ie. someone made up a percentage of trucks that ship to locations and that's why some with low numbers wait longer.

• A Charlotte rep told me that Charlotte have received (maybe delivered?) about 10 trucks. They said my truck was there and ready and had no issues. But did say if they find anything on final clean up this evening they would notify me. (not sure what to make of that)

• I waited 93 days for a VIN (AWD), my first notification of a VIN was a text that I had a new message from Tesla in the app. No emails.

Let me know if I missed any common questions. I can try to ask in person and update this post.
Congratulations dude, just curious what state do you live in? If you don’t mind me asking

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All of the above, depending upon the situation. I think most commonly they assign the VIN after it comes off the end of the production line.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla says the entire payment must be from one account and they don't accept credit cards for vehicle purchases. Maybe if the final amount owed is very small, they make an exception, I don't know. A certified check is probably the easiest, most sure fire way to pay. But I think if you write them a personal check, they have a way to turn it into an electronic transfer, with your consent, not sure of the details on that.
Sponsored