Poll: Is 7500 lbs of towing capacity enough? (RWD CT)

Is 7500lbs enough?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Why is that? The beast is only advantageous for racing. Noone needs that kind of acceleration and the payload and towing capabilities are the same as the AWD. So someone with common sense is an exception to the rule? I weep for the species.
I think you misunderstand the conversation.

He is the exception to the rule in the sense that he can afford the beast model. Not that he is choosing not to.

The rule being that the vast majority of people who get (or want to get) the rwd truck will be doing so because they cannot afford a higher trim level. This is because the prices are so high.

I weep for the species because we have to fork out 80k to get an AWD Cybertruck.
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Tesla is after high-volume mass-market.
The fact that the Cybertruck can haul a load of 2x4s and/or pull a trailer is a nice utility. But if you require a true tow vehicle or you regularly load 1000 lbs of pea gravel in the bed…go order an appropriate vehicle. The sure sign this truck is NOT a work truck is the white interior option. It will mainly be a drive to work truck. A soccer mom truck. A Sunday drive with the kiddos to see grandma truck. You will be disappointed if you were thinking this was a replacement for your F350.
I always think the promotional videos of dirt and gravel getting dumped in a pick up are funny. That is a tiny amount of material to do anything substantial and a pain to clean out and adds risk of damage from the loader. Get a trailer or have it delivered IMHO.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am curios on the reduced range. I assumed the battery pack is standard across the models with differences in tires and motor efficiency (having one permanent magnet motor) being the difference.

Also why is the range extender not listed as being compatible with the RWD? Is this about the upsell?

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I am curios on the reduced range. I assumed the battery pack is standard across the models with differences in tires and motor efficiency (having one permanent magnet motor) being the difference.

Also why is the range extender not listed as being compatible with the RWD? Is this about the upsell?
I would guess yes. They may also, not put in some of the control module hardware required to make it work. To save some $$

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I would guess yes. They may also, not put in some of the control module hardware required to make it work. To save some $$
We don't know what the interface will look like, but I would think the onboard charger and interface would be cheaper to make as a standard mass produced product rather than 2 different parts for the different trims.

The $60,000 RWD is different than the $35k M3 which was only available in obscurity. I think there is plenty of profit baked in at $60k, but less than the $80k AWD. They would prefer people spend the $80k.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
I don't understand something.... if the Cybertruck beat out the F350 in a pulling contest, why is the Cybertruck's towing capacity only two thirds of what the F350 is rated for towing capacity?

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
In my particular area in the Central Valley in California, I would say 95% of people that have trucks here have never towed anything. On my block, there are 8 trucks and every single person uses them as a daily driver. Have never seen them ever tow anything, let alone transport anything that I couldn't fit in my Model Y. F150's everywhere and they are used as a commuting car.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
I don't understand something.... if the Cybertruck beat out the F350 in a pulling contest, why is the Cybertruck's towing capacity only two thirds of what the F350 is rated for towing capacity?
Towing at those higher numbers requires 5th wheel or gooseneck setup.
Tow rating is more about control and stopping, not just torque.
An F350 diesel can pull its max rated load all day long without overheating. CT's may have limitations in sustained power output compared to peak.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
comes down basically to (A) added weight, but moreso (B) adjusted RPM/torque efficiencies, for making the beast quicker but less range efficient at cruising speeds, and (C) maybe some differences in the performance inverters on the CB motors vs normal inverters on AWD motors

amounts to a 6% diffidence at ~EPA test conditions (320mi vs 340mi)
Sponsored