PowerShare availability for foundation series buyers.

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now that close to 1000 members have committed to the foundation series it would be great to know what, other than ownership of a property for installation, determines eligibility. Are certain geographic areas or areas covered by a particular utility excluded? Would be nice to know for members getting invites now and in the future.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I would guess that big excluders are location of panels and size of panels.

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
I would guess that big excluders are location of panels and size of panels.
When I bought solar several years ago it came with a free panel if needed. I have a 200amp panel and they didn't need to upgrade. (would've been nice to get a free larger panel).
Maybe older homes with smaller panels wouldn't qualify.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
When I bought solar several years ago it came with a free panel if needed. I have a 200amp panel and they didn't need to upgrade. (would've been nice to get a free larger panel).
Maybe older homes with smaller panels wouldn't qualify.
The panel that I was referring to was the power distribution panel. Upgrading a 100A panel to a 200A one is far from trivial and requires new power lines from the street.

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
The panel that I was referring to was the power distribution panel. Upgrading a 100A panel to a 200A one is far from trivial and requires new power lines from the street.
I thought it was the same thing we’re talking about. This is my panel.

Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare availability for foundation series buyers. IMG_8159

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I thought it was the same thing we’re talking about. This is my panel.
I guess we were talking about the same thing, but it is really hard to believe that the electrician would upgrade for free.

Of course there's always the possibility that you'd get the new panel for free. His installation charge would be north of $2000 though.

If you change that top breaker, you tend to have to get the service into your house increased, and there have been numerous examples of the power company not allowing it.

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
If you change that top breaker, you tend to have to get the service into your house increased, and there have been numerous examples of the power company not allowing it.
I have a 16.38kwh solar array with 6x powerwall 2 installed by Tesla themselves. (Not contractors)

My local electric municipality was dubiously delaying and threatening in several different ways.

1.) they claimed I would have to buy a new transformer for my neighborhood because I would melt it… (10k usd)

2.) I would have to upgrade my service line to something like a 400amp line… (unknown cost but it would of been wildly expensive)

3.) I had to upgrade my main panel

They (the municipality)basically run a straight monopoly of what you can and can’t do to your own home, to the point that I’m “not allowed” to ever disconnect from them, and must pay a connection fee till the end of time. (Even though I could be 100% off grid)

Tesla executives and even a master electrician had to deal with this municipality for about 6 months straight before they would “allow” my system to be turned on.

I ended up only having to do upgrade the main panel to a 200amp solution which cost me several thousands of dollars extra (3500 I think?)

The reason the transformer and service line wasn’t forced is because being off grid means I’ll pull a fraction energy, if not zero, from the service line than I ever had in the past and the transformer was proven to be a ruse by the master electrician on teslas side.

Solar and battery storage is going to be the domino for folks to wake up to the kinds of monopolies exist and the extent they will go to make it “not easy” once you have an option that isn’t them….

After the major freeze in Texas a few years back, my neighbors wanted to get a system like mine because we still had power (whole home). We found out Tesla no longer services my city… and they would have to go through random contractors that sold Tesla products. (Wonder why…?)

This is in San Antonio by the way - 1hr drive from Teslas HQ/Gigafacotry.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have a 16.38kwh solar array with 6x powerwall 2 installed by Tesla themselves. (Not contractors)

My local electric municipality was dubiously delaying and threatening in several different ways.

1.) they claimed I would have to buy a new transformer for my neighborhood because I would melt it… (10k usd)

2.) I would have to upgrade my service line to something like a 400amp line… (unknown cost but it would of been wildly expensive)

They (the municipality)basically run a straight monopoly of what you can and can’t do to your own home, to the point that I’m “not allowed” to ever disconnect from them, and must pay a connection fee till the end of time. (Even though I could be 100% off grid)

Tesla executives and even a master electrician had to deal with this municipality for about 6 months straight before they would “allow” my system to be turned on.

I ended up only having to do upgrade the main panel to a 200amp solution which cost me several thousands of dollars extra (3500 I think?)

The reason the transformer and service line wasn’t forced is because being off grid means I’ll pull a fraction energy, if not zero, from the service line than I ever had in the past and the transformer was proven to be a ruse by the master electrician on teslas side.

Solar and battery storage is going to be the domino for folks to wake up to the kinds of monopolies exist and the extent they will go to make it “not easy” once you have an option that isn’t them….

After the major freeze in Texas a few years back, my neighbors wanted to get a system like mine because we still had power (whole home). We found out Tesla no longer services my city… and they would have to go through random contractors that sold Tesla products. (Wonder why…?)

They cannot stop you from doing sub-panels disconnected from the grid, or connected through non-hardwired connections (consumer plugs).

They can't stop you from islanding some or all of your outlets.

They can harass you about it, but they are not in the right.

-Crissa

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

I had a similar story with my solar

tenetke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Country flag

My bill today for electricity was -$274.62. Could not be happier with my solar and battery. I’m not in the ercot part of Texas and my utility company was quick to be helpful during the install and connection. However they do not offer net metering like they do in neighboring states.

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
They cannot stop you from doing sub-panels disconnected from the grid, or connected through non-hardwired connections (consumer plugs).

They can't stop you from islanding some or all of your outlets.

They can harass you about it, but they are not in the right.

-Crissa
That's what I thought, which is exactly what the gateway does from Tesla.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Yep, I suspect that many may have laughed when I said $2k, thinking it was too high.

OP
OP

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have solar that just barely covers all of our electric and a 175 amp main panel. Hope that can be configured with PowerShare. I have been planning to put in battery backup but have been waiting for a solution that includes V2H. Probably should get an estimate from an electrician so there are no surprises.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Did we already know about the outlet adapters that can go on mobile powershare connector? to add additional outlets.. It's possible they were just referring to the different adapters to charge at different plugs? But that is a weird way to put it if so. I am imagining my mobile powershare cable going from my 110 outlet to a little box that has a bunch of them on it lol idk. could be 220
Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare availability for foundation series buyers. 1705619958993

Also, were we tracking that people with powerwall and wall connector dont need to upgrade anything? This one feels like we knew that but idk.
Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare availability for foundation series buyers. 1705620009014

If you have powerwall you should hop on bestbuy and get the UWC lol (I think they had it)

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Did we already know about the outlet adapters that can go on mobile powershare connector? to add additional outlets.. It's possible they were just referring to the different adapters to charge at different plugs? But that is a weird way to put it if so. I am imagining my mobile powershare cable going from my 110 outlet to a little box that has a bunch of them on it lol idk. could be 220
1705619958993.png

Also, were we tracking that people with powerwall and wall connector dont need to upgrade anything? This one feels like we knew that but idk.

If you have powerwall you should hop on bestbuy and get the UWC lol (I think they had it)
I assume that you are talking about the very last line?
I think that there have been pictures of it flash during videos, but quite sure.

I believe that there have been statements of how easy it is to hook to existing PowerWalls.
But I think that there's some semantics that are getting missed, even by Tesla when it comes to the wall thingy. It seems as if there is a PowerShare Wall Connector as well as the existing Wall Connectors.
But details are yet to be seen.
Sponsored