There should be lifetime supercharging for Foundation Series

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Jake with Tesla…. Sounds almost familiar.
Lol it does, poor guy I am sure he gets that a bunch.

Unlimited supercharging would be a relatively easy answer to the range/charge/price objections. "Well you power it for free so don't complain"
Sponsored

schmo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
Lol it does, poor guy I am sure he gets that a bunch.

Unlimited supercharging would be a relatively easy answer to the range/charge/price objections. "Well you power it for free so don't complain"
I had originally called to switch my financing from Tesla to my bank and asked about the transfer while we were talking. He said he didn’t know and would check for me. A few hours later I received the text.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think Tesla could easily enforce road trip usage only, for lifetime free supercharging, by requiring payment at superchargers within 30 miles or so of the owner's home address as reflected in the UI settings and their Tesla account (which also could be validated by where the vehicle consistently parks overnight returning from daily usage). I think this would be fair.

This way owners would more likely charge at home when not traveling, since that would save them money. If Tesla implemented free supercharging in this way, it would still be a great perk less likely to be abused and wouldn't crowd superchargers nearly as much. Most people take road trips out of their home area, as only a small percentage of their total driving.

- ÆCIII

RonGonRetired

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2016 Chevy 3500HD High Country
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lifetime free supercharging SUCKS for all users.

Superchargers are for long-distance travel, not a convenient freebee for a few.

Sidebar-- seems much of the Chicago charging mess was a product of local charging users.
I agree about the Chicago mess.. Uber / Lyft rental cheap model 3's and no place to charge except Sc's and no EV experience. Stupid
However as the owner of a 2013 MS with 135k miles, free SC but I charge at home 90% of the time. I have been across the US, and Canada coast to coast several times and trips around the west covering 1-2k miles every several months where I use the SC network i would love to have free SC on my ordered CT and replace my MS for road trips. I do agree that the SC network is abused and will only get worse when it opens up to other MFG. cars. The best charging infrastructure available will only get worse for all of us free charging ...or not.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla should include lifetime free supercharging with Foundation Series orders.
That would be a huge misstep to include free Supercharging on any Cybertruck. Because people would then use the Cybertruck to charge their other EVs. It would be a free-for-all of greedy cheapskates, trying to get something for nothing.

But when you start a company that builds out a worldwide fast DC charging network that puts all other charge networks to shame, you can let anyone you want use it for free.

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
That would be a huge misstep to include free Supercharging on any Cybertruck. Because people would then use the Cybertruck to charge their other EVs. It would be a free-for-all of greedy cheapskates, trying to get something for nothing.

But when you start a company that builds out a worldwide fast DC charging network that puts all other charge networks to shame, you can let anyone you want use it for free.
You got a point, never thought about that since the CT is the first Tesla that can charge another Tesla.

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
I’d like free lifetime supercharging with the Cybertruck for roadtrips…

BUT not only could you charge other cars, you’d also be able to power your entire home with the PowerShare feature.

pilotbeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S and 2022 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have "free" supercharging on a 2017 Model S. It was included in Mid 2017 to move new inventory. A few months ago Tesla offered a discount on a new vehicle in trade for my 2017 Model S with "free" supercharging. It appears that Tesla would like to get rid of the existing "free" supercharging. Therefore, why would Tesla offer "free" Cybertruck supercharging with limited production coupled with a backlog of buyers?

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
One word: powershare

If you need more words: No way they will enable us to power our homes on their dime.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Two+ million orders waiting plus thousands more every day (and wait until they show up on roads, those numbers will go up) why throw in an unnecessary recurring customer benefit/expense with no offsetting ongoing revenue that will tie up Superchargers just at the point you're onboarding other OEM's onto the network? Doesn't math.

Last edited:

drrjv

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Country flag
They offered free supercharging with the Model 3 way back when. Then they offered a $5,000 refund to omit the SC - which is what I did (I primarily charge at home.)

donnyb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation AWD, Model Y
Country flag
If not lifetime supercharging, it would have been nice to see 3-5 years of supercharging. The first group of people buying the CT are loyalists.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I think Tesla could easily enforce road trip usage only, for lifetime free supercharging, by requiring payment at superchargers within 30 miles or so of the owner's home address as reflected in the UI settings and their Tesla account (which also could be validated by where the vehicle consistently parks overnight returning from daily usage). I think this would be fair.

This way owners would more likely charge at home when not traveling, since that would save them money. If Tesla implemented free supercharging in this way, it would still be a great perk less likely to be abused and wouldn't crowd superchargers nearly as much. Most people take road trips out of their home area, as only a small percentage of their total driving.

- ÆCIII
Ya I think that would be an awesome perk. I would still do most of my charging at home because convenience. But when I do travel 2-8 hr road trips (once a month), it would be awesome (and really wouldn’t hit Tesla hard nor SCs… because there won’t be that many FS in each area that would clog every SC

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

While I agree that'd be possible, Tesla could disable the power outlets while the Cybertruck is charging (or at least limit their output to like 2KW or so). Then one would have to wait until their first charge is done, then disconnect from the supercharger, before using the CT to charge a second vehicle. Then they'd want to recharge the CT back up again after charging the second vehicle. Still possible, but who would want to spend that kind of time?

Of course if Tesla didn't limit power outlets while connected to superchargers, then that scenario would be easier to exploit.

- ÆCIII
Sponsored