Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
In 2019 I saw a presentation of an electric pickup with the following specs:
4 wheel drive
500+ miles of range
2.9 seconds 0 to 60MPH.
$70,000 pricetag ($77,000 w/FSD)

That is what I wanted. That is what I'm expecting. If that is not what is offered, I will reassess.
Until then, there is no reason to randomly speculate on changes to price or specs.

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
There probably will be a price increase to account for increased costs. I did a comparison last night of the price different between when I got my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD and the cost of a Model 3 LR AWD today (a somewhat close comparison, though not the exact same vehicle), and the price since 2018 has increased by about 18%.

It is probably safe to assume a 20% increase over the announced costs based on the Tesla price increases over the past few years. That would mean the Dual-Motor All Wheel Drive would probably cost 60k. The Quad-Motor it is more difficult to say. If they simply take the tri-motor cost and increase for inflation, then we are looking at about 84k, but that is now a different non-quoted trim so who really knows.

They will most likely want to compete there trims against the Ford F150 Lightning, so I would expect them to not raise the prices much beyond the F150's top tier price. The top trim F150 lightning is 95k, I would guess Tesla will want to beat that price point on the Quad-Motor for prestige/vanity reasons if nothing else (not including price of Full Self Driving Autopilot).
As Elon said, it is easy to make the truck, but keep the manufacture cost low is difficult. Assume he projected $70k in 2022 for Trimotor with 2% annual inflation rate. with unexpected inflation rate(8.7%), maybe 10-15% increase. And another 5% increase for additional motor.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
With the car markets in such chaos and soaring price points, any idea how this may impact our reservation prices?
Obviously the preorder specifically didn't guarantee any price. Hopefully the first year sales will only be about 25% over the original non guaranteed prices. However I fully expect repeated prices increase above that over time. If you have an order at about 500,000 I'd bet the price increase will be substantially more than 25%. Just not realistic the price won't go up in the 7 or so years from unveiling to selling that vehicle.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
As Elon said, it is easy to make the truck, but keep the manufacture cost low is difficult. Assume he projected $70k in 2022 for Trimotor with 2% annual inflation rate. with unexpected inflation rate(8.7%), maybe 10-15% increase. And another 5% increase for additional motor.
Why wouldn't he have expected standard inflation and put it into the calculation? If current estimates are right, it'll be 18 months late with a four year queue they didn't stop pricing at those prices until last summer. It would have had at least three years of inflation built in, assuming it was on-time and had a year queue like their last product.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Obviously the preorder specifically didn't guarantee any price. Hopefully the first year sales will only be about 25% over the original non guaranteed prices. However I fully expect repeated prices increase above that over time. If you have an order at about 500,000 I'd bet the price increase will be substantially more than 25%. Just not realistic the price won't go up in the 7 or so years from unveiling to selling that vehicle.
Seven years from unveiling would be four and a half years from now... I know the pandemic seemed long, but it's not been that long.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ponder this

Elon said, once a price gets too high, demand falls off a cliff.... Like 10 fold !!
He suggested Rivian needed to get efficient in production.

NOTE :
1. Musk alluded that if Rivian improves production and remains practical, it can produce an affordable truck. Else, bye bye.
2. Musk has indicated he stopped his engineers from 'engineering' anything else.
Q. What do they need?:
A. At least what was in the prototype.

Rivians sales volume is 'priced to fall off a cliff'.

It stands to reason. Tri will remain affordable. (+ inflation)

It remains to be seen what volume Musk is looking for Quad... fall off a cliff price.. Or will this replace the TRI and be his core mass market truck killer product. Well below $85,000.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
4 wheel drive
500+ miles of range
2.9 seconds 0 to 60MPH.

That is what I wanted. That is what I'm expecting. If that is not what is offered, I will reassess.
Until then, there is no reason to randomly speculate on changes to price or specs.
What about 2 motors and 450 miles with 4 wheel steering?

What if it is tri motor but the third just powers the wiper?

What about tires? Are those optional?

PS I’m with you. Too hard to guess what’s going on. Just wait, reassess.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Of Course they are going to increase prices on the CT. They increased price on all models. The CT is no exception to this. The question is how much will they increase it not If they will increase the price.
You are dead wrong. Tesla honors their quotes. When they increase prices it is on new orders. I have bought a Model 3 and a Model Y and both times there were price increases between the time I ordered and the time I got the vehicle and Tesla always honored the price they quoted me.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
4 wheel drive
500+ miles of range
2.9 seconds 0 to 60MPH.

That is not quite correct. Tesla unveiled 3 trims in 2019 and 2 of them were all wheel drive (AWD) but none were 4-wheel drive. More recently they added 4-wheel steering and even more recently a possible quad-drive. Perhaps you meant AWD when you said 4-wheel drive?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That is not quite correct. Tesla unveiled 3 trims in 2019 and 2 of them were all wheel drive (AWD) but none were 4-wheel drive. More recently they added 4-wheel steering and even more recently a possible quad-drive. Perhaps you meant AWD when you said 4-wheel drive?
I would like to know what makes something “4 wheel drive”?

My car has 2 motors which directly transfer power to the wheels. It is a more direct connection than any 4WD truck on the market. Most 4WD trucks have a differential so it’s not that.

So what exactly makes my car not 4WD versus a Toyota pickup truck?

Same question applies to the tri motor.

I get what the difference between a motor per wheel versus a motor driving a differential is. But you used the term 4 wheel drive here which muddies the water.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i CAnT AFfoRD a price increase!
i really just want the single motor, the most spartan version they can make.
DELETE eveything elon i dont want fsd or cameras everywhere, or 4 wheel steering

well actually i do want this stuff but woulld rather have the truck for a cheap price

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
i CAnT AFfoRD a price increase!
i really just want the single motor, the most spartan version they can make.
DELETE eveything elon i dont want fsd or cameras everywhere, or 4 wheel steering

well actually i do want this stuff but woulld rather have the truck for a cheap price
An alternative scenario might be to improve your financial situation to make the CT4 a relatively cheap price too.
Sponsored