Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related)

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
After initially thinking the CT was ridiculous, I’ve done a complete 180 and decided I need one in my life… I’ve been combing through this website pretty regularly the past couple of months and have learned a lot. Overall, this group has pretty much provided the answers to my questions (and answers to some questions I didn’t even know I had!) but I’m interested in continuing the conversation about the topics I have listed out below. For efficiency, I’ve included a short summation of the information I have pieced together. Let me know what you think!

purchase price

- Living in Colorado, the dual motor is a must for the AWD. As it is, the pricing is at the absolute ceiling of what I can spend/afford (actually a good chunk over...) I have my fingers crossed that Tesla keeps the pricing the same as any increase puts my ability to purchase in serious jeopardy. From what I have read here, it seems Tesla has historically kept the prices the same once announcing them so here’s to hoping!

- I am actually happy that production has been delayed as it gives me time to build up a CT fund. I have started “making payments” to a dedicated savings account so that when the time does come, my monthly payments will be more manageable. (Edit: i made my reservation early July...)

- Having said that, it seems like the CT is a huge “bang for the buck” as a) it is currently in the same ball park (actually less in a lot of cases) than an ICE truck and b) seems to be way less than other electric trucks coming down the pipeline

Cost of ownership

- Charging: obviously need to get set up within the home but after that, logistics of charging on road trips seems to be the only minor nuisance.. basically a non-issue….

- Insurance: general consensus seems to be no one really knows yet but overall thoughts are it shouldn’t be dramatically different than something similarly priced

- Wear & tear (tires, batteries, etc.): seems this will be a big one as a) the tires are pretty big and b) I’ve learned Tesla’s (and Tesla drivers) are pretty hard on tires as it is… further, I don’t think a regular set of highway tread is gonna look right so one would have to stick with something that is at least hiway and off road.. As for the batteries, replacement seems like it will be over $10k but that shouldn’t happen for a long, long (hopefully long!) time…

- Damage/repair: this has me worried… Currently, it seems most roads lead through Tesla here (something breaks, you gotta go to Tesla) but I would guess options will begin to exist as electric becomes more mainstream. I did see an instance where an alternative is already available (something about a battery going bad and some place was able to fix it for a fraction of what Tesla wanted).) Also, I’m really nervous about what a replacement windshield will cost as we sure do have a Lot of flying rocks on the highways here in Colorado…. I know it’s supposed to be super strong but until I have experience with that I’m not optimistic about what Tesla would charge to replace a windshield…

Positives

- Let’s start with the obvious, don’t have to buy gas (but have learned charging isn’t exactly free…)

- Read that EVs are supposed to last from 750,000-1,000,000 miles so if all goes according to plan, this offsets some of the purchase price

- EVs have fewer moving parts to fail (alternators, transmissions, fuel pumps, etc.) so again, offsetting the purchase price

- sports car performance in a truck? Yes please!

- no paint to worry about

So like, I said, that's what I've pieced together so far. I’d love to hear any thoughts you might be able to add.
Sponsored

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I worry about the monitor, being a critical component, wiring and anything plastic holding up.

Think of improperly loaded 2x4 through the pass through, pass through will definitely be there or my name ?

2x4 shifts forward during breaking and impales the screen.

Worse for those with small children who throw a toy forward.

Hopefully we can slave a pad To temporarily operate.

OP
OP

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
I worry about the monitor, being a critical component, wiring and anything plastic holding up.
Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something... sure, the CT is supposed to last forever but what about the electronics/your aforementioned monitor???? Seems most computer stuff lasts 5-10 years (if you're lucky) so once the CT hits that stage, then what?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
- Living in Colorado,
let's pause right there for a couple of pros:

1) Resistance to large hail damage
2) No worry about road salt (assuming they aren't still just sanding the roads)
3) No worry about paint chips off the front of your hood/grille (you. know what I mean)
4) Full torque performance at altitude up in the hills. Pikes Peak, not even a challenge

- Insurance:
- Damage/repair:
I'm with ya. These are the two things that could make me drop out and just trade up to a Model Y with tow hitch.

ETA: the CT might make me even want to live in Denver again, except that now it's super expensive as well.

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
1] Insurance
2] Monthly payment, Saving to an account to try and get this down as much as possible.
I am hoping with the window toughness and the extreme angle tis at that windscreen replacement will be a vary low chance.
I am high enough up the list that bugs should be gone by the time mine is ready.

Note! It also seems like you should add in that home changer cost as it seems to be cheaper to get it when order truck then afterwords. If you decide then you need it.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The cost of repair is very worrisome to me as well, especially if the glass extends over the roof. If the price of fuel were to actually go up in proportion to the damage that it is doing the cost analysis will look even better.

I hope there is room for the 3rd party parts guys to help keep the repair cost down. The law makers need to find the balance between safety and competition/free market.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag

Think of improperly loaded 2x4 through the pass through, pass through will definitely be there or my name ?

I wouldn't worry about the screen because the truck will work without a screen (just like Model 3 and Y). The infotainment computer, Autopilot/FSD computer, and vehicle controls computers are all separate. On Model 3/Y you can still drive the vehicle with a broken or no screen, and can even use AP/FSD. The only important thing you will miss is that you won't know how fast you are going, but could use an app on your phone for that in a pinch. To replace the screen on Model 3/Y costs around $1000 for a new one from Tesla. A used one from eBay costs 1/3 to 1/2 of that. And if the screen will be mounted in a similar way to Model 3/Y, it will be easy to replace.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag

I suspect there is an interesting economic advantage of the screen here.
My suspicion is that screens are both cheaper and more durable than physical buttons. can anyone more knowledgeable confirm or deny this?
Buttons and knobs have all sorts of moving parts and even require some proper r&d to have that quality feel we demand, and they dont benefit from Moore's Law.
pretty much every part of teslas product design and engineering benefits from a HUGE decrease in costs over time - battery tech, computers, etc.
screens in cars are usually seen as luxury. thats just cause a screen in addition to physical buttons and knobs is more expensive but they forgot to delete the buttons to gain the economy of the screen.
Just another brilliant move by tesla to simultaneously brand an ulta minimal luxury aesthetic while also saving costs substantially in order to bring a young and necessarily expensive new mobility tech to market at an affordable cost.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about the screen because the truck will work without a screen (just like Model 3 and Y). The infotainment computer, Autopilot/FSD computer, and vehicle controls computers are all separate. On Model 3/Y you can still drive the vehicle with a broken or no screen, and can even use AP/FSD. The only important thing you will miss is that you won't know how fast you are going, but could use an app on your phone for that in a pinch. To replace the screen on Model 3/Y costs around $1000 for a new one from Tesla. A used one from eBay costs 1/3 to 1/2 of that. And if the screen will be mounted in a similar way to Model 3/Y, it will be easy to replace.
Oh wow thats not bad at all... $1000 bucks for new screen. I think the CT is a 17" so might be a little more but as long as its in the same ballpark i don't mind.

Recently bought an aftermarket digital dash from Holley for the old truck for $800. Would have thought a tesla screen would be significantly more expensive.

Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) 1629855982618

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
From what my Tesla friends tell me and I read on forums you have little to worry about regarding the screen. I’m not sure what toys John K’s kids play with (Medieval mace? Aluminum baseball bats using control panel as a piñata?). These things are pretty solid. Watch a few YouTube videos where someone tests their Tesla’s ability and how they destroyed the screen. And I am betting money against any pass through.

AI Day makes me positive that CT is not going to be produced before late 2022. Elon was talking and made a mention about Hardware 4.0 and that it will be in CT. More savings.
You never mentioned your reservation number or placement. If you made it recently you’ll have a while to save.

OP
OP

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
let's pause right there for a couple of pros:

1) Resistance to large hail damage
2) No worry about road salt (assuming they aren't still just sanding the roads)
3) No worry about paint chips off the front of your hood/grille (you. know what I mean)
4) Full torque performance at altitude up in the hills. Pikes Peak, not even a challenge

I'm with ya. These are the two things that could make me drop out and just trade up to a Model Y with tow hitch.

ETA: the CT might make me even want to live in Denver again, except that now it's super expensive as well.
paint/body: yeah… in my head i addressed all that with my statement about no paint but upon further refiew, not so much…. Yes! All valid except for driving up pikes peak.. just did that a couple of weeks ago and between everyone drving slow as hell to begin with and my mortal fear of careening off a cliff thats a nonissue for sure…

ETA: yeahhh…. All of Colorado these days…. I know I couldn’t even begin to afford my house if I were to be shopping today…

OP
OP

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
1] Insurance
2] Monthly payment, Saving to an account to try and get this down as much as possible.
I am hoping with the window toughness and the extreme angle tis at that windscreen replacement will be a vary low chance.
I am high enough up the list that bugs should be gone by the time mine is ready.

Note! It also seems like you should add in that home changer cost as it seems to be cheaper to get it when order truck then afterwords. If you decide then you need it.
glad I’m not the only one worried anout the payment and insurance.

as for that charger, thats the first thing ill take care of once i have a purchase locked up and signed!!!

OP
OP

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
From what my Tesla friends tell me and I read on forums you have little to worry about regarding the screen. I’m not sure what toys John K’s kids play with (Medieval mace? Aluminum baseball bats using control panel as a piñata?). These things are pretty solid. Watch a few YouTube videos where someone tests their Tesla’s ability and how they destroyed the screen. And I am betting money against any pass through.

AI Day makes me positive that CT is not going to be produced before late 2022. Elon was talking and made a mention about Hardware 4.0 and that it will be in CT. More savings.
You never mentioned your reservation number or placement. If you made it recently you’ll have a while to save.
as I mentioned earlier, I'm more worried about the computer aspect and when it becomes old and slow compared to whatever is available in 10 years or so…. Guess time will tell

as for my reservation, just made it this summer so I’m wayyyy down the line (my math says 2.5 million but im not sure thats accurate…. Anynow, as I said, I’m actually happy about that as I’m fairly confident this will give me a solid 2-3 years to sock away some “payments”….

Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) cybertruck

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
After initially thinking the CT was ridiculous, I’ve done a complete 180 and decided I need one in my life… I’ve been combing through this website pretty regularly the past couple of months and have learned a lot. Overall, this group has pretty much provided the answers to my questions (and answers to some questions I didn’t even know I had!) but I’m interested in continuing the conversation about the topics I have listed out below. For efficiency, I’ve included a short summation of the information I have pieced together. Let me know what you think!

purchase price

- Living in Colorado, the dual motor is a must for the AWD. As it is, the pricing is at the absolute ceiling of what I can spend/afford (actually a good chunk over...) I have my fingers crossed that Tesla keeps the pricing the same as any increase puts my ability to purchase in serious jeopardy. From what I have read here, it seems Tesla has historically kept the prices the same once announcing them so here’s to hoping!

- I am actually happy that production has been delayed as it gives me time to build up a CT fund. I have started “making payments” to a dedicated savings account so that when the time does come, my monthly payments will be more manageable.

- Having said that, it seems like the CT is a huge “bang for the buck” as a) it is currently in the same ball park (actually less in a lot of cases) than an ICE truck and b) seems to be way less than other electric trucks coming down the pipeline

Cost of ownership

- Charging: obviously need to get set up within the home but after that, logistics of charging on road trips seems to be the only minor nuisance.. basically a non-issue….

- Insurance: general consensus seems to be no one really knows yet but overall thoughts are it shouldn’t be dramatically different than something similarly priced

- Wear & tear (tires, batteries, etc.): seems this will be a big one as a) the tires are pretty big and b) I’ve learned Tesla’s (and Tesla drivers) are pretty hard on tires as it is… further, I don’t think a regular set of highway tread is gonna look right so one would have to stick with something that is at least hiway and off road.. As for the batteries, replacement seems like it will be over $10k but that shouldn’t happen for a long, long (hopefully long!) time…

- Damage/repair: this has me worried… Currently, it seems most roads lead through Tesla here (something breaks, you gotta go to Tesla) but I would guess options will begin to exist as electric becomes more mainstream. I did see an instance where an alternative is already available (something about a battery going bad and some place was able to fix it for a fraction of what Tesla wanted).) Also, I’m really nervous about what a replacement windshield will cost as we sure do have a Lot of flying rocks on the highways here in Colorado…. I know it’s supposed to be super strong but until I have experience with that I’m not optimistic about what Tesla would charge to replace a windshield…

Positives

- Let’s start with the obvious, don’t have to buy gas (but have learned charging isn’t exactly free…)

- Read that EVs are supposed to last from 750,000-1,000,000 miles so if all goes according to plan, this offsets some of the purchase price

- EVs have fewer moving parts to fail (alternators, transmissions, fuel pumps, etc.) so again, offsetting the purchase price

- sports car performance in a truck? Yes please!

- no paint to worry about

So like, I said, that's what I've pieced together so far. I’d love to hear any thoughts you might be able to add.
It looks like you have a pretty good handle on things. I am on my second hybrid SUV and have spent very little on maintenance over the past 15 years. A BEV should be even better.

I suspect that tire cost will be comparable to similarly-sized tires.

Regarding battery longevity, how many people do you know that have even put 200,000 miles on a car? I have 9 years on my Lexus and only 130,000 miles. If i tripled my mileage the battery would probably still go 12 years.

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
A note about charging: it is typically half or a quarter the cost of gas.
In Colorado specifically, comparing to a 30MPG car: Average Gas cost is $3.15/gal, you could drive about 850miles for $100.
Electricity is $0.13/Kwh the CT-Tri will use about will drive about 465WH per mile and will drive about 1650 miles for $100
A model 3/y would go about 3000 miles for $100
Sponsored