Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related)

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
After initially thinking the CT was ridiculous, I’ve done a complete 180 and decided I need one in my life… I’ve been combing through this website pretty regularly the past couple of months and have learned a lot. Overall, this group has pretty much provided the answers to my questions (and answers to some questions I didn’t even know I had!) but I’m interested in continuing the conversation about the topics I have listed out below. For efficiency, I’ve included a short summation of the information I have pieced together. Let me know what you think!

So like, I said, that's what I've pieced together so far. I’d love to hear any thoughts you might be able to add.
Forget the fiscal aspects. #1 it is not available yet, and when it is available, the price will be higher than $69,000 (for long range) that was quoted in 2019. A lot has changed in the economy since then. And, by the time you eventually can take deliver, more will have changed.

I think $69,000 will become $79,000, if not $85,000. Tesla has been raising the price of some of their models by $5000 dollar increments lately.

It is a vehicle that will be outside in the elements, at times, so it won't last forever. Possibly a long time, but not forever.

If you ever do get a CT, enjoy it. Service it when needed...and take care of those tires!
Sponsored

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
After initially thinking the CT was ridiculous, I’ve done a complete 180 and decided I need one in my life… I’ve been combing through this website pretty regularly the past couple of months and have learned a lot. Overall, this group has pretty much provided the answers to my questions (and answers to some questions I didn’t even know I had!) but I’m interested in continuing the conversation about the topics I have listed out below. For efficiency, I’ve included a short summation of the information I have pieced together. Let me know what you think!

purchase price

- Living in Colorado, the dual motor is a must for the AWD. As it is, the pricing is at the absolute ceiling of what I can spend/afford (actually a good chunk over...) I have my fingers crossed that Tesla keeps the pricing the same as any increase puts my ability to purchase in serious jeopardy. From what I have read here, it seems Tesla has historically kept the prices the same once announcing them so here’s to hoping!

- I am actually happy that production has been delayed as it gives me time to build up a CT fund. I have started “making payments” to a dedicated savings account so that when the time does come, my monthly payments will be more manageable. (Edit: i made my reservation early July...)

- Having said that, it seems like the CT is a huge “bang for the buck” as a) it is currently in the same ball park (actually less in a lot of cases) than an ICE truck and b) seems to be way less than other electric trucks coming down the pipeline

Cost of ownership

- Charging: obviously need to get set up within the home but after that, logistics of charging on road trips seems to be the only minor nuisance.. basically a non-issue….

- Insurance: general consensus seems to be no one really knows yet but overall thoughts are it shouldn’t be dramatically different than something similarly priced

- Wear & tear (tires, batteries, etc.): seems this will be a big one as a) the tires are pretty big and b) I’ve learned Tesla’s (and Tesla drivers) are pretty hard on tires as it is… further, I don’t think a regular set of highway tread is gonna look right so one would have to stick with something that is at least hiway and off road.. As for the batteries, replacement seems like it will be over $10k but that shouldn’t happen for a long, long (hopefully long!) time…

- Damage/repair: this has me worried… Currently, it seems most roads lead through Tesla here (something breaks, you gotta go to Tesla) but I would guess options will begin to exist as electric becomes more mainstream. I did see an instance where an alternative is already available (something about a battery going bad and some place was able to fix it for a fraction of what Tesla wanted).) Also, I’m really nervous about what a replacement windshield will cost as we sure do have a Lot of flying rocks on the highways here in Colorado…. I know it’s supposed to be super strong but until I have experience with that I’m not optimistic about what Tesla would charge to replace a windshield…

Positives

- Let’s start with the obvious, don’t have to buy gas (but have learned charging isn’t exactly free…)

- Read that EVs are supposed to last from 750,000-1,000,000 miles so if all goes according to plan, this offsets some of the purchase price

- EVs have fewer moving parts to fail (alternators, transmissions, fuel pumps, etc.) so again, offsetting the purchase price

- sports car performance in a truck? Yes please!

- no paint to worry about

So like, I said, that's what I've pieced together so far. I’d love to hear any thoughts you might be able to add.
No rust to destroy the truck years before anything actually wears out. (most of my cars and trucks of the past have been retired from service due to rust, not mechanical failure)

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good discussion! Great to see everyone thinking about the details. Only thing I have is on the LCD Screen, I haven’t heard any complaints on it and I think it’s just a screen you could buy locally and replace yourself if needed. It’s high quality but nothing special. The momma board is where th magic happens and it’s pricey and it’s proprietary so no DIY there ( I believe) but it’s tucked away safely. You should get a split 5 years of use out of it, then you’ll maybe have to consider if you want the benefits of an upgrade. The last one I heard of came out as $2000-$2500 price tag until too many complaints came in, then it was dropped to $1500. But no one was forced into the upgrade, it was their choice.Elon says the HW 4v should be FSD ready unlike v2, v2.5 and maybe v3 (v3 is officer, might be ok just sub par) if you’re Risk Adverse I suggest going ahead with the purchase then put it up for bid on eBay with a floor bid of $100,000. I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with the investment.

OP
OP

la10slgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan
Country flag
Forget the fiscal aspects. #1 it is not available yet, and when it is available, the price will be higher than $69,000 (for long range) that was quoted in 2019. A lot has changed in the economy since then. And, by the time you eventually can take deliver, more will have changed.

I think $69,000 will become $79,000, if not $85,000. Tesla has been raising the price of some of their models by $5000 dollar increments lately.
my retort:
Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) 1630348074158

Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) 1630348194371

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag
I worry about the monitor, being a critical component, wiring and anything plastic holding up.

Think of improperly loaded 2x4 through the pass through, pass through will definitely be there or my name ?

2x4 shifts forward during breaking and impales the screen.

Worse for those with small children who throw a toy forward.

Hopefully we can slave a pad To temporarily operate.
I have a 5 year old Model S that is involved in a recall due to the monitor blanking out intermittently ….it will be repaired but doesn’t cause any interruptions in driving…I wouldn’t worry because Tesla is learning from mistakes so as not to repeat them (hopefully). In my experience so far they are a good company, which is why when the CT was first introduced , I quickly put in my bid for a Tri motor.

tjordan

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertuck (on order - dual engine model)
Occupation
Forester
Country flag
I suspect there is an interesting economic advantage of the screen here.
My suspicion is that screens are both cheaper and more durable than physical buttons. can anyone more knowledgeable confirm or deny this?
Buttons and knobs have all sorts of moving parts and even require some proper r&d to have that quality feel we demand, and they dont benefit from Moore's Law.
pretty much every part of teslas product design and engineering benefits from a HUGE decrease in costs over time - battery tech, computers, etc.
screens in cars are usually seen as luxury. thats just cause a screen in addition to physical buttons and knobs is more expensive but they forgot to delete the buttons to gain the economy of the screen.
Just another brilliant move by tesla to simultaneously brand an ulta minimal luxury aesthetic while also saving costs substantially in order to bring a young and necessarily expensive new mobility tech to market at an affordable cost.
Personally I would pay extra to have knobs/dials instead of the large ugly screen (imo).

Any chance that will be an option?
There's no way a screen is "more durable" than dials/buttons. It feels tacky to me as well. Also much more difficult to operate the touch screen than physical buttons/dials as well all can appreciate. My 2003 Tundra is much easier to operate climate control than my 2017 EV since my EV is touch screen and I have to take my eyes off the road to operate climate control, unlike my older truck where I can just reach forward and use my hands to operate the dials.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Personally I would pay extra to have knobs/dials instead of the large ugly screen (imo).

Any chance that will be an option?
No.

Your personal incredulity at the resilience of a flat, hard, unmoving surface being less durable than rotary encoders aside... The number of controls a screen mimics is endless.

It's possible to build USB devices for a Tesla so that you can have knobs and buttons if you so desire.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's possible to build USB devices for a Tesla so that you can have knobs and buttons if you so desire.
This was my thought also, perhaps an Xbox controller connected to a Raspberry Pi mounted to the console.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Likely people with preconceived notions about it think they have a champion product. They start it, buy a Tesla to test it, make a prototype product and do a Kickstarter and scratch their heads when nobody buys it. Then a week or so later they stop using their own "essential" device after it malfunctions and they realize it's easier to just use the console.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
There is only one alternative which is less, that's the Ford F150 Lightning and it's only less because of the government subsidy which may well change by the time the CT is launched.

And while the subsidy makes the Ford cost less, value is still on Teslas side.
Not so, Pro Lightning, all wheel drive, $39.9k BEFORE tax incentives. CT $10k more for all wheel drive. I’m glad you think the value remains on the Tesla side, after all, somebody’s gotta pay for that brand new plant in Texas. Somebody’s gotta keep Americans working (hoping that Tesla doesn’t employ all those illegals crossing the boarder), I mean, my heart goes out to those folks an all that, but, we got to keep Americans working for all this stuff to work.

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
IS the PRo version only being sold to business's ?
That means for the normal person the next up version is what you can buy.
And last I heard that one doesnt allow you to get the long range battery. { I could be wrong on that }

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
- Damage/repair: this has me worried… Currently, it seems most roads lead through Tesla here (something breaks, you gotta go to Tesla) but I would guess options will begin to exist as electric becomes more mainstream. I did see an instance where an alternative is already available (something about a battery going bad and some place was able to fix it for a fraction of what Tesla wanted).) Also, I’m really nervous about what a replacement windshield will cost as we sure do have a Lot of flying rocks on the highways here in Colorado…. I know it’s supposed to be super strong but until I have experience with that I’m not optimistic about what Tesla would charge to replace a windshield…
I see all the time concern over the giga castings and if they are repairable. Jordon from The Limiting Factor just put out a video about the likelihood of scraping a Tesla with Castings as opposed to Body on Frame vehicles when involved in a low to moderate speed impact. It's a great watch and will hopefully answer your questions about Insurance/totaling the truck.

My only concern about the CT is how Insurance companies will not understand the truck just like how they don't, for the most part, understand other Teslas. I've gone back and forth between two insurance providers (Farmers and GEICO) about how much of a low risk of injury and collision occurrence compared to other similar prices vehicles. I will be immediately switching to Tesla Insurance when I take delivery.

Oh and another positive is the regenerative braking and the fact that replacing brake pads will be a rare occurrence.
Sponsored