Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IF (I know big IF) with the four wheel steering option they can make front and rear castings interchangeable, they would need only two castings.
They are not going to be interchangeable. The rear casting has to support a truck bed.

In fact I’ve heard a suggestion that the front casting might not even require the 8k ton press and could be made on a 6k ton press. Not sure about this last, but it is possible. It is closer in nature to the Model Y casting than the rear casting.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just to be perfectly clear here. Tesla is making a single motor truck. It might be 5 years down the road, but its going to happen. They are planning to replace the whole F150 product line, not just the high end ones. A more affordable single motor truck with modest range is essential to that.

Lots of people look at Tesla’s product line as if it was going to be limited to high end cars. They are planning on hitting all the niches. It’ll take time to get there, but they will get there.

OP
OP

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
A trusted source of mine is guessing that a four motor may be in the works. I have No idea if that would be at launch, down the road or at all.

considering Tesla has a track record of having always released their new cars with no vehicle out there with competing specs I would think the same could to apply here. Rivian has a 3.0 acceleration time. Though a smaller truck it will be in the market for 1 to 1.5 years before Cybertruck. If tesla proceeds with current plan it would then be the first time a new product is rolling out with something slower and later than the competition. So a quad motor with a 2.5-2.7 0 to 60 time would keep that record in tact. Of course there’s much more to it than acceleration like the other features already discussed however Tesla has a lot of focus on having the best performing cars out there period.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
They are not going to be interchangeable. The rear casting has to support a truck bed.

In fact I’ve heard a suggestion that the front casting might not even require the 8k ton press and could be made on a 6k ton press. Not sure about this last, but it is possible. It is closer in nature to the Model Y casting than the rear casting.
I agree. Although, for our northern CT'ers, I think the front casting may need to support a snowplow, unless the Model Y front casting can support that use case.

Having spent 30 years in Canada, I wouldn't put a plow on any nice truck. People would buy a beater to plow with.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A trusted source of mine is guessing that a four motor may be in the works. I have No idea if that would be at launch, down the road or at all.

considering Tesla has a track record of having always released their new cars with no vehicle out there with competing specs I would think the same could to apply here. Rivian has a 3.0 acceleration time. Though a smaller truck it will be in the market for 1 to 1.5 years before Cybertruck. If tesla proceeds with current plan it would then be the first time a new product is rolling out with something slower and later than the competition. So a quad motor with a 2.5-2.7 0 to 60 time would keep that record in tact. Of course there’s much more to it than acceleration like the other features already discussed however Tesla has a lot of focus on having the best performing cars out there period.
I’m not sure throwing a bunch more horsepower at this problem is the right way to look at it. If Tesla wants a truck that competes with the Rivian in terms of performance, all they need to do is release a 300 mile range tri motor truck with street tires. That is how Rivian gets their ~3.0 second 0-60 times. Trying to beat all things at the same time is a difficult road to trod.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
All I know is Elon tweeted a while back that there would be a Plaid Cybertruck and it would be more than just a tri-motor.
Not saying you are wrong, but I really want to see that tweet. Try to dig that up, please.

First, the day after the CT reveal Motor Trend released their exclusive on the vehicle and it specifically stated that the Trimotor is Plaid. I have personally never seen any tweet or twit from Elon saying there would be anything else as CT Plaid. Second, would I expect Tesla to someday release a Plaid +? Yes, but only after they have CT sales slow down as they did with S and X. Give that 10 or so years after Cybertruck goes into volume production.

From Motor Trend, 22 Nov. 2019
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/
https://www.motortrend.com/features/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-plaid-power/

Tesla Cybertruck Quad motor replacing tri-motor? A33C1DF6-EC5C-40DA-B7A6-A4A4330BEC31

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not saying you are wrong, but I really want to see that tweet. Try to dig that up, please.
Don’t have time to chase it down right now, but I recall the same “Plaid Cybertruck Tweet” and there are some stories out there about it. Just search for Plaid Cybertruck, it’s out there.

I don’t recall Musk or anyone at Tesla ever saying anything about a quad motor Cybertruck though.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Might be the reason they pulled the motor specs off the website?

One reasonable assumption would be that now its also 4 wheel steering, that they might be able to share the front and rear suspension and motor assemblies to cut down on cost. Adding a second motor to the front would then be trivial and not add much cost. But it might only reduce the time to 2.7 from 2.9sec as the front axle is a hard place to put the power down, might need a yoga "downward dog" suspension stance and to be able to through in some weight into the frunk to make it work. :)

So we might have a SM, DM, TM and a QM "Plaid" version with torque vectoring etc.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag

First, the day after the CT reveal Motor Trend released their exclusive on the vehicle and it specifically stated that the Trimotor is Plaid. I have personally never seen any tweet or twit from Elon saying there would be anything else as CT Plaid. Second, would I expect Tesla to someday release a Plaid +? Yes, but only after they have CT sales slow down as they did with S and X. Give that 10 or so years after Cybertruck goes into volume production.

From Motor Trend, 22 Nov. 2019
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/
https://www.motortrend.com/features/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-plaid-power/

A33C1DF6-EC5C-40DA-B7A6-A4A4330BEC31.jpeg

I'm not saying its for sure Quad motor, can't say for sure whether he is referencing the number of motors or other features.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Single, Dual, Tri, Quad... It's all about size, not how many until control comes into play. Rivian can only do what it does because of one motor per wheel but it's no quicker than the tri-motor. I think that is the question. Will there four independent motors in a CT for better traction control, handling and maneuverability? No word on intergalactic overdrive either.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Single, Dual, Tri, Quad... It's all about size, not how many until control comes into play. Rivian can only do what it does because of one motor per wheel but it's no quicker than the tri-motor. I think that is the question. Will there four independent motors in a CT for better traction control, handling and maneuverability? No word on intergalactic overdrive either.
Just imagine how many cold air thrusters could be installed in the bed of the CT, its wonderous. :unsure:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agree, tri motor plenty capable for go-fast, towing, and getting power when you need to off-road.

The dual motor is plenty power/ control for 99% of uses. The tri motor is plenty for 99% of what’s left. Not a lot where you really need dual thrust vectoring.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
if anything they'll drop single motor and just do 2 and 3. adding 4 would require the creation of a new mold I assume, and the demand for 4 is unlikely to be high.
I think the front casting might be the same. Just no guts on the single.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.