Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
you don’t consider Toyota, Nissan, or Isuzu legacy automakers? Guess you’ve never been to any of the ‘Stan countries — Afghanistan, Pakistan, Khazakhstan. Toyota has about 85% of the vehicles driving there; everything from the Hilux, sedans, econoboxes…. Nissan and Isuzus are all over Central Asia as well. I’ve personally seen more Japanese and Korean autos driving in Mongolia than you can ever imagine. Why did you think Chairman Toyota was so dead set against electrifying the Toyota brand?
Primarily because they were betting on Hydrogen and had a ton of R&D spend on that instead of EV's.
Like there would be a ton of hydrogen available in these down market economies any time soon... I know that the classic technology leapfrog for these markets is when they skip land lines and just go to cell technology. But that is a technology that is powered by electricity and electricity can be produced easily with solar cells (as we see on many cell towers) or wind turbines (even small ones can be a great benefit in these markets).

I agree that Toyota sunk a ton of yen into hydrogen power. But I think even that effort was flawed thinking. So it is no surprise that they made the further tactical error to outright reject EVs even while seeing Tesla make significant headway. Everything was so promising with their hybrids back in the day. But their subsequent decisions were just disastrous . Good luck turning that ship around and making any kind of success out of this.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag