cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Not necessarily. And Semis really can't see behind the trailer at all.
Which observations are neither normative nor prescriptive

just because there are people who drive trucks without rearviews (or larger side mirrors, or installed rearward cameras, etc.), doesn’t mean other people should, or should have to

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

just because there are people who drive trucks without rearviews (or larger side mirrors, or installed rearward cameras, etc.), doesn’t mean other people should, or should have to
You can absolutely drive the Cybertruck using the rear-view mirror. Just got to keep the tonneau cover up. So, there is an answer and complaining is not warranted.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

You can absolutely drive the Cybertruck using the rear-view mirror. Just got to keep the tonneau cover up. So, there is an answer and complaining is not warranted.

Yup, I don't undertand this complaimt either.

Pickup trucks have as a major defining feature a "BED".

Using the bed, or the other truck feature "trailering" will usually mean a blocked rear view.

This has been been true for trucks for over 100 years and previous to trucks was true for many designs of horse drawn wagon/coaches.

If rear viewing is so important to your ability to drive, get a sedan just like in pre-auto days, horse drawn days you used a buggy instead of a wagon.

If you have nothing in the bed or a low load or camper shell or no trailer then it comes down to physics.

Which is more important to you, rear visibility or greater energy efficiency (less drag, tonneau cover closed)?

Cybertruck has a powered tonneau cover feature as a standard.

Of all the hours of day of all pickup trucks in world, probably the vast majority have nothing in the bed or a low profile load in the bed. If most trucks in world had a easily deploy-able sail panel triangle type bed cover there would be huge energy savings for the world and less debris falling off trucks.

Another similar complaint is not being to reach from the side into bottom of bed because of the sail panels. Most people with most modern ICE 1/2-ton pickups on 35" tires have same issue. Those sail panels and tonneau cover closed would again huge energy savings for the world and less debris falling off trucks. If you have something so small and light that you could actually lift over the bed side it will probable fit in the Cybertruck frunk which does not even exist on ICE pickups.

A camera based rear view is the proper solution.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Who's going to be the first aftermarket with the see-thru tonneau cover?

And then have people complain because thieves can see all the equipment in the bed!

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT DM, Tesla MY LR, Tesla MY SR, Rivian R1S
Country flag
After less than a week of driving the Cybertruck, I ended up just removing the rear view mirror and I turned off the rear camera feed as well. I was trying to adjust, but it just didn't feel natural to me after decades of driving with a physical rear view mirror.

While out driving over the weekend, it occurred to me that this is not a new concept despite what the forums and Twitter would have you believe. Just look at all the box trucks and vans driving around with no rear view mirror and most of them don't have a rear camera feed either. It has made adjusting much simpler and if I really want to see what's behind me, a simple press of a button on the squirkle turns the camera back on. Of course, putting it in reverse also turns the rear camera on with a much larger view.

That's my .02 on the subject, at least. :)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yup, I don't undertand this complaimt either.

Pickup trucks have as a major defining feature a "BED".

Using the bed, or the other truck feature "trailering" will usually mean a blocked rear view.
respectfully, this is sort of a BS cop-out

it’s a cop out for people to keep responding “lots of people can’t see behind them”

which is to distort the point of the comments being raised: essentially, “it would be nice to see behind the truck (or in fact I strongly prefer it)”

it’s as if someone said: “I would like to eat pizza tonight, because all else equal it sounds great and what I’d like to eat tonight”

and in response, the horde responds “I don’t understand this complaint, lots of people aren’t eating pizza tonight”

If nothing else, it doesn’t matter that there are people who drive trucks without rear view mirrors. That observation would be more relevant if y’all had any reason to continue that observation with something like “and those people prefer it that way.”

Meanwhile, clearly Tesla understands that its customers desire to see behind a 1/2 ton truck, all else equal. That’s why they have a camera, and why they have a mirror there.

And, other truck makers understand this desire (and its benefits), I so far as companies do provide solutions for these scenarios (some semis do have rear-facing cameras, or trucks come with special side mirrors that mitigate the issue, etc.)

Sure, say instead “look, you don’t get pizza, but you’ll get used to it the same way others who can’t get pizza get used to it”

but weird to suggest people have no basis for wanting pizza (or that others who don’t have pizza prefer it that way)

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y.
Occupation
Investor
Country flag
I have about 300 miles on my truck. Getting used to the rear camera on the screen is super easy. I wish my Model Y worked this way. The video display is much better than peering through a mirror and I think that viewing the screen is much easier than if it was routed to the mirror. In other owrds, this is better, those of you stressing over this, relax!

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
And, other truck makers understand this desire (and its benefits), I so far as companies do provide solutions for these scenarios (some semis do have rear-facing cameras, or trucks come with special side mirrors that mitigate the issue, etc.)
So does Tesla, you don't have to lower the tonneau cover.
They have the camera view to show on the screen in a mirror format.
They have the camera to show in full screen format.

Aside from displaying on mirror (which is expensive) what do you want?

This is effectively the same argument as the single pane display. People bitch about it until they use it.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag

it’s a cop out for people to keep responding “lots of people can’t see behind them”

which is to distort the point of the comments being raised: essentially, “it would be nice to see behind the truck (or in fact I strongly prefer it)”

it’s as if someone said: “I would like to eat pizza tonight, because all else equal it sounds great and what I’d like to eat tonight”

and in response, the horde responds “I don’t understand this complaint, lots of people aren’t eating pizza tonight”

If nothing else, it doesn’t matter that there are people who drive trucks without rear view mirrors. That observation would be more relevant if y’all had any reason to continue that observation with something like “and those people prefer it that way.”

Meanwhile, clearly Tesla understands that its customers desire to see behind a 1/2 ton truck, all else equal. That’s why they have a camera, and why they have a mirror there.

Sure, say instead “look, you don’t get pizza, but you’ll get used to it the same way others who can’t get pizza get used to it”

but weird to suggest people have no basis for wanting pizza (or that others who don’t have pizza prefer it that way)
I went in circles with the "it's unreasonable to ask for a rear view that isn't crap" crowd in another thread. Trust me, it's not worth the effort.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I went in circles with the "it's unreasonable to ask for a rear view that isn't crap" crowd in another thread. Trust me, it's not worth the effort.
What do you want Tesla to do?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
What do you want Tesla to do?
A washer on the rear camera, just like on the front camera. The truck is designed to be driven with the tonneau closed, and loses range when it's not closed. That's the main thing. Sure I could nitpick about an LCD in the mirror itself (like the 2019 prototype), but the sprayer would alleviate most complaints.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear view with bed cover up 1707944156513

This just isn't okay.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
A washer on the rear camera, just like on the front camera. The truck is designed to be driven with the tonneau closed, and loses range when it's not closed. That's the main thing. Sure I could nitpick about an LCD in the mirror itself (like the 2019 prototype), but the sprayer would alleviate most complaints.

This just isn't okay.
Oh, so you don't want the rearview mirror, just a better camera? That's not this discussion.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Driver use of mirrors for navigating is going away because a better solution (cameras & displays) are finally becoming viable from cost standpoint. The same will soon be true for dynamic variable ratio steer by wire.

In most all usage scenarios, both cameras/displays & steer by wire will be standard on most future vehicles. Mirrors & fixed ratio mechanical steering will be replaced just like cars no longer have tillers, hand crank starting, few have manual transmissions, and BEVs will replace almost all ICE.
Sponsored