Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I've given up trying to find the footage but I do remember seeing a clip from behind the CyberTruck (release night? when it had a camera display rearview mirror) where you could see the mirror, thru the roof glass, from behind. Granted, it was a view from fairly high up, like as someone holding a camera at eye level. It gave me a little reassurance that even with the tonneau closed you'd still be able to have SOME awareness of the traffic behind you, albeit, distant objects or very tall ones. No, you still won't be able to see the toddler behind you, but any view to the rear with tonneau covering the back glass is useful.
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Yeah, it was dirty. My Model 3 one gets like that in bad weather and I have to wipe it off. If you clean it occasionally its fine. Road gunk just builds up when conditions are wet. Always have a rag on hand to wipe it down if it looks like that.
Re: dirty ... in the video he said he wiped it off before the drive.
yes, I realize it would be the same on a windshield mirror display.
My X occasionally gets bad but wondering if the CT is worse (positioning, airflow, etc).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Re: dirty ... in the video he said he wiped it off before the drive.
yes, I realize it would be the same on a windshield mirror display.
My X occasionally gets bad but wondering if the CT is worse (positioning, airflow, etc).
I would like a rear-facing camera up at the apex of the two large windows. Better protection from the elements and better visibility. It would be great if the after market light accessory had a rear facing camera.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
Airflow off the back of my Model X makes the back of the car dirty before everything else so I'm hoping the little cowl on the Cybertruck camera helps mitigate that.

I do wonder about that driving rear view. It looks like the view is more straight out the back of the truck while all other Tesla back up cameras provide a partial view of the bumper. A downward view is important for backing up and hooking up a trailer. Are they just blocking off the bottom of the rear view in that frame, and maybe changing the digital zoom?

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Are they just blocking off the bottom of the rear view in that frame, and maybe changing the digital zoom?
No doubt 'cropped'. Aspect ratio is dramatically different. Plus anyone that drives any tesla knows those rear view views and aspect ratios. I looked for a while ... sure that I saw a YT example of it but could not locate it. They swiped up and down to see the front and rear views.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
No doubt 'cropped'. Aspect ratio is dramatically different. Plus anyone that drives any tesla knows those rear view views and aspect ratios. I looked for a while ... sure that I saw a YT example of it but could not locate it. They swiped up and down to see the front and rear views.
Yeah, I remember seeing that video too but I can't find it now. The flipping between views was really quick, swiping up and down. If the rear camera will be our primary view of the back, I hope they have dynamic ISO and maybe increase the HW resolution. I drive very situationally aware and would hate not being able to identify vehicle makes behind me.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
This looks like something that could be useful for the CyberTruck. It can get the mirror view off of the center screen and onto a traditional mirror location. Especially if it can connect to the existing cameras.

IMG_4843.jpeg
Would you need some type of adapter for the 48v system?

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I do wonder about that driving rear view. It looks like the view is more straight out the back of the truck while all other Tesla back up cameras provide a partial view of the bumper. A downward view is important for backing up and hooking up a trailer. Are they just blocking off the bottom of the rear view in that frame, and maybe changing the digital zoom?
Ideally, a rear view camera display should be a real life representation of exactly what you would see from a rear view mirror. No zoom, or fish eye effect at all. This is what drivers expect so they can judge distances based on their expectations of the world from the mirrors they've been using their whole driving life. The exception is the right side-view mirror that is a hyperbolic view, so needs to warn you with the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" warning.

I would suspect that in "rear-view mirror" mode, that is the view you'd get. But when you put the vehicle in reverse, you would, instead of getting "rear-view mirror" view, you'd get a "back-up camera view" that is distorted, as you expect from back-up cameras. Pretty useless for distant objects, but fish-eyed, and showing you the bumper, or trailer hitch ball.

Having one view for forward driving and a different view for backing would make perfect sense.

JWass

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’d imagine a digital rear view mirror would have been a desirable feature, particularly with the tonneau cover.
Just added expense and trouble for the sake of being located in a “traditional” spot. By the time you drive 100 miles with it on the center console screen you’ll be glad you don’t even have a center mirror.
Having it on the console seems better in a sense. The console is at eye level just below dash line. So your eyes are more focused towards the road.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
What about flying?
When you are flying you do not have other aircraft next to or behind you so closely that mirrors would do any good, not to mention the vibration.
I do not think that the rearview mirror discussion is about what happens once in a while, or under special circumstances (and yes, I have had jerks ride my ass in the air) but rather about the general case. I suspect that flying in formation is not what the FAA would generally approve of.
As my aviation brother @bkervaski said, the FAA is just fine with formation flying. And I routinely fly formation IFR. There are ways. But, it is not for the untrained or the new pilot. You can't just "hit the brakes" when you get it wrong.

And for the record, I fly a whole lot of planes that DO have rear view mirrors. In large swept wing aircraft, you can't see the wingtips. So they put rear view mirrors on your side window. In tandem two seat military aircraft, you often have a rear view mirror to see the pilot in the back. And many fighter aircraft have rear view mirrors to see what is "at your 6". And then there are quite a few general aviation aircraft with mirrors to see your gear position.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Ideally, a rear view camera display should be a real life representation of exactly what you would see from a rear view mirror.
I recall this advantage on various rear-view digital mirrors (Chevy Bolt being the 1st youtube I saw)

Real mirror -- can see the people / kids in the back seat
Digital mirror - do NOT see the people / kids in the back seat since camera at the tail

rizvend

First Name
CyBrNrD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
As my aviation brother @bkervaski said, the FAA is just fine with formation flying. And I routinely fly formation IFR. There are ways. But, it is not for the untrained or the new pilot. You can't just "hit the brakes" when you get it wrong.

And for the record, I fly a whole lot of planes that DO have rear view mirrors. In large swept wing aircraft, you can't see the wingtips. So they put rear view mirrors on your side window. In tandem two seat military aircraft, you often have a rear view mirror to see the pilot in the back. And many fighter aircraft have rear view mirrors to see what is "at your 6". And then there are quite a few general aviation aircraft with mirrors to see your gear position.
I get that but wouldn't side view mirror be enough coupledcwith below?

I get that but wouldn't the side mirrors combined with below negate the need for a real rearview mirror?

Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck rear view mirror FB_IMG_1701977790615

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag