BeleeEV

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
That has been the discussion, you need to go back to the beginning since the start. Before people chimed in with “real trucks don’t need rear view mirrors blah blah blah bs”.. Washer was the main point.
Sponsored

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I can see the view just fine. There's never been a requirement for rear window wipers that I know of.

-Crissa
Amazingly, my rear windshield has never been as much as 10% as occluded as my rear camera in any vehicle (including my model Y).

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Amazingly, my rear windshield has never been as much as 10% as occluded as my rear camera in any vehicle (including my model Y).
It definitely is a design flaw . It might be fine for some people, i understand. Having a washer to clean, therefore a better vision, definitely won't be too much cost for a 100k vehicle, and arguably be safer ( May or may not but definitely won't be more dangerous)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Driver use of mirrors for navigating is going away because a better solution (cameras & displays) are finally becoming viable from cost standpoint.
so?

because the obvious sub-point to this discussion is that the camera solution provided by Tesla isn’t up to snuff in some’s view

Just asserting that cameras/displays can sufficiently replace a mirror** isn’t really relevant to whether the CT’s camera/displays do so

**meanwhile, not to look ever the fact that even if the CT had a mirror it’s rearward visibility is still reasonably objectionable - even if the tonneau is up, the 11” inch tall rear window, 2/3rds obscured by three large headrests, flanked bythose sail pillars, and with rear passenger windows of a Sherman tank, mean there’s not a mirror made that would satisfy all reasonable objections in the CT

which point, if anything, goes to show how Tesla *needed* a camera/display solution, and so makes it all the more odd if the one they put forward is deficient. If only for the lack of wiper/spray CT camera solution is guilty as charged, and that’s before reasonable objections to the display location/size/UI are raised.

I’m not saying there aren’t good arguments for the utility of the CT camera/display solution. Hell, I’ve just described how a mirror isn’t even a viable alternative in the CT.

I’m only instead saying I find it odd that when people are raising reasonable objections to the offered camera/display solution, folks seem to think it’s either relevant or persuasive to retort “lots of people can’t see behind their vehicle, and we don’t need to ask if that’s a good think nor if those people also don’t prefer it that way”

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It definitely is a design flaw . It might be fine for some people, i understand. Having a washer to clean, therefore a better vision, definitely won't be too much cost for a 100k vehicle, and arguably be safer ( May or may not but definitely won't be more dangerous)
it’s not only a washer

a washer alone doesn’t solve for how this camera is occluded when water itself is the problem (ie rain/snow).

it needs a solution for not only dirt/mud, but also weather conditions

which weather conditions, arguably, are when it’s most important to have sufficient rearward visibility

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Don't really know about a washer, I guess they would have to run a tube through the bed hinge if they did it. Seems problematic. But actually, I'd much rather just have that dang ramp...

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it’s not only a washer

a washer alone doesn’t solve for how this camera is occluded when water itself is the problem (ie rain/snow).

it needs a solution for not only dirt/mud, but also weather conditions

which weather conditions, arguably, are when it’s most important to have sufficient rearward visibility
What else would they do? Put it behind a piece of glass and put a wiper? To me, a washer at least brings us back to something usable. It may never be as clear as a freshly wiped piece of rear glass (with a rear wiper), but it will be 80% clear on a wet day after being sprayed vs 10% clear or less with no spray.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
What else would they do? Put it behind a piece of glass and put a wiper? To me, a washer at least brings us back to something usable. It may never be as clear as a freshly wiped piece of rear glass (with a rear wiper), but it will be 80% clear on a wet day after being sprayed vs 10% clear or less with no spray.
yeah, clearly a sprayer is better than no sprayer!

And many backup cameras on many models have the issue of clarity in the rain, unless they are sufficiently tucked under some sort of awning feature in the rear.

And worth mentioning that the CT is not the only Tesla with this rear camera rain issue - Here’s an 8 year old post from TMC about the same issue in the MX: “This has been discussed on TMC literally for years. It is a real issue. Tesla needs to solve it.”

the difference is that, unlike the CT, other Tesla’s have redundant and decent natural rearward visibility

as for what to do about the rain issue in a CT? I suppose the point is that if Tesla hasn’t even solved for the sprayer/mud issue, they sure don’t seem to have moved on the more basic, pervasive, rain issue, either.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah, clearly a sprayer is better than no sprayer!

And many backup cameras on many models have the issue of clarity in the rain, unless they are sufficiently tucked under some sort of awning feature in the rear.

And worth mentioning that the CT is not the only Tesla with this rear camera rain issue - Here’s an 8 year old post from TMC about the same issue in the MX: “This has been discussed on TMC literally for years. It is a real issue. Tesla needs to solve it.”

the difference is that, unlike the CT, other Tesla’s have redundant and decent natural rearward visibility

as for what to do about the rain issue in a CT? I suppose the point is that if Tesla hasn’t even solved for the sprayer/mud issue, they sure don’t seem to have moved on the more basic, pervasive, rain issue, either.
Oh, see, I'm figuring that the sprayer would clear the road spray even in just rain. Not for the duration of an entire drive. But for long enough to use it when you need to.