Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I'd defer offering that opinion until we see the design. The new Rivian owners have found that the condenser fan blows right over the frunk tub so that in cooling season the frunk does get, if not to BBQ level temperature, quite warm.
Cars, in general, get quite warm when parked in the sun. And the Model 3 condenser is situated right in front of and below the frunk so there is nothing unusual there. The Cybertruck will be set up like the Model 3. I'm just saying it's worlds better than having a hot engine there (not even comparable) and, properly ducted, the condenser is not going to prevent the frunk from being a good cooler.

That's what insulation is for. The biggest battle is the sun.
Sponsored

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
If you guys havnt heard...I've been waiting for this item from Makita for about a year waiting for it to arrive in the states. It's amazing and kinda pricey but man this would be awesome for camping or picnics. Should fit in my model Y lower trunk with np. Or depending how big the frunk is on cybertruck otherwise it's a handy/pricey gimmicky toy 😎..operated on batteries or 12v or a/c plug. Otherwise the Cybertruck should be able to power a regular small compact fridge anyhow.

Tesla Cybertruck Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk? e94953eb-0e06-4e65-b377-77442ed5c6a9_dcw180z_p_1500px

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DCW180Z

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
If you guys havnt heard...I've been waiting for this item from Makita for about a year waiting for it to arrive in the states. It's amazing and kinda pricey but man this would be awesome for camping or picnics. Should fit in my model Y lower trunk with np. Or depending how big the frunk is on cybertruck otherwise it's a handy/pricey gimmicky toy 😎..operated on batteries or 12v or a/c plug. Otherwise the Cybertruck should be able to power a regular small compact fridge anyhow.

e94953eb-0e06-4e65-b377-77442ed5c6a9_dcw180z_p_1500px.png

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DCW180Z
Holy Crap, on sale half off for $629!!!o_O

With power outlets in the bed, one of these for $160 would work just fine for my use.

Tesla Cybertruck Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk? walmartfridge

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'd defer offering that opinion until we see the design. The new Rivian owners have found that the condenser fan blows right over the frunk tub so that in cooling season the frunk does get, if not to BBQ level temperature, quite warm.
Thats probably the main reason they added a drain plug...

I'm not sure the cooler placement will be too much better on the CT, but at a minimum should include appropriate ducting of hot air and some insulation to the bottom of the truck.

But in saying that what would be the total expected heat flow be through the cooling system on a hot day? I'd imagine significantly less than a ICE cooling system, maybe 20%?

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla could partner with Thermo King for a mobile refrigerator.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m just getting a Tesla just for the Dog Mode to keep my dogs air conditioned while I am parked at Costco in Hawaii. Can’t do that with a ICE vehicle.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I’m just getting a Tesla just for the Dog Mode to keep my dogs air conditioned while I am parked at Costco in Hawaii. Can’t do that with a ICE vehicle.
I used to just leave the car running and lock my car for short errand runs with the pups in the vehicle.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Holy Crap, on sale half off for $629!!!o_O

With power outlets in the bed, one of these for $160 would work just fine for my use.

walmartfridge.jpg
Yeah I would just get a small fridge like that and a good 12 gauge extension cord. But would prob still get the Makita for it's novelty on sale someday...I've already waited a year for it to be released in the US.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Thats probably the main reason they added a drain plug...

I'm not sure the cooler placement will be too much better on the CT, but at a minimum should include appropriate ducting of hot air and some insulation to the bottom of the truck.

But in saying that what would be the total expected heat flow be through the cooling system on a hot day? I'd imagine significantly less than a ICE cooling system, maybe 20%?
In my experience, EV's are *much* easier to keep cool compared to ICE vehicle. Something about not having an internal combustion engine and transmission right in front of the passengers radiating heat on top of the solar gain.

Also, the air conditioning is more effective because it's not mounted in a hot engine compartment right behind a hot radiator. In hot summer weather, EV's are just much nicer.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I used to just leave the car running and lock my car for short errand runs with the pups in the vehicle.
👍. Suppose the engine stalls and shuts off without any warning? Your dog would be cooked.🐶

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does that happen often? The AC could go kerput, too.

-Crissa
👍. Too many moving parts on a ICE vehicle. The fuel system, ignition system, or a radiator hose could give up at any time.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Also, the air conditioning is more effective because it's not mounted in a hot engine compartment right behind a hot radiator. In hot summer weather, EV's are just much nicer.
The part that counts (the condenser) is mounted up front with the radiator so the effective temperature the system is exposed to is the ambient. ICE engineers are not stupid. The vapor line would need to be better insulated in an ICE vehicle though as it runs through the engine compartment.

I've seen lots of posts about how ineffective Tesla A/C is in hot weather and even in not so terribly hot weather but under tough driving conditions (positive grade, high speed). This is because much of the compressors capacity is allocated to keeping the battery/inverters cool leaving less than sufficient capacity for the cabin.

In hot summer weather, EV's are just much nicer.
EV's are just much nicer in any weather!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm not sure the cooler placement will be too much better on the CT,
Do you mean condenser?

but at a minimum should include appropriate ducting of hot air and some insulation to the bottom of the truck.
What got me thinking about this was the observation of an 15° F rise in the R1T frunk after a couple of hours. As Sandy Munro had just done a video on that part of the truck I had some idea of what the geometry is. The condener is exposed to the airstream and a fan sucks air through it and blows it onto the frunk around which it flows before being channeled out to the bottom of the space. There is no ducting (other than what it provided by the confines of the body) and no insulation.

I would think so but I don't see the comparison. You can't have a frunk in an ICE car (unless it's mid or rear engine).

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've never seen a post complaining about Tesla's A/C. Life will be hell on Mars !!

https://www.tesla.com/blog/blowing-hot-and-cold

• Interior airflow distribution — this involves measuring the airflow from each cabin vent, and making sure that the HVAC controls provide the right distribution of air and the range of control that we expect.
  • Air conditioning performance — we do what are called "temperature pull down tests." We heat soak the car at 35°C (95°F), then switch on the air conditioning and watch (and measure) a wide range of underbonnet and cabin temperatures against time. We can also provide simulated solar loading during this test to pretend we’re in the Californian desert (with a bank of halogen lights).
Sponsored