Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wasn't clear. Was thinking about what might be palatable to Texas legislatures who want to keep the auto-dealership lobby happy and attract multi-billion dollar investments.

Of course half a billion dollar incentive packages are pretty appealing too.
TADA is just trying to hold-out as long as they can. They know EV's are the future but they're entrenched in old business models. I think GM, Ford, Ram/Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota and other legacy auto manufacturers will stay with the dealership models but somehow they are still afraid of Tesla and Rivian?

You would think that Tesla and Rivian would have a price advantage not using dealerships but that advantage hasn't manifested itself too much in Tesla's prices. Too much tech?

Maybe somewhere down the road GM, Ford and others will start to falter because of their disadvantages, just have to wait and see I guess.

I would like to see a cost-per-vehicle breakdown between the legacy auto manufactures and the newer EV manufactures.
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
TADA is just trying to hold-out as long as they can. They know EV's are the future but they're entrenched in old business models. I think GM, Ford, Ram/Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota and other legacy auto manufacturers will stay with the dealership models but somehow they are still afraid of Tesla and Rivian?

You would think that Tesla and Rivian would have a price advantage not using dealerships but that advantage hasn't manifested itself too much in Tesla's prices. Too much tech?

Maybe somewhere down the road GM, Ford and others will start to falter because of their disadvantages, just have to wait and see I guess.

I would like to see a cost-per-vehicle breakdown between the legacy auto manufactures and the newer EV manufactures.
agreed....but I am still waiting for Lexus to come out with a ES-350 type "ALL ELECTRIC" vehicle for USA.......when that happens, I might give up on the Tesla model.....but I can say this, I will NEVER go back to an ICE vehicle, period

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
if they can get the dems to stay in town long enough to vote.....hahahaha
If they put that on the docket, maybe the Democrats would come back in town.

Instead of, you know, banning public health rules or whatever they're doing to raise the state's mortality rates is today.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Bored with lack of CT news so I am cruising Rivian forums. I don’t know if Rivian will or will not make it to volume production but at lease they are out there seen by their reservation holders. I hope. We have more CT sightings posts here soon.

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian is targeting Texas for second truck factory 1629399488698

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian is targeting Texas for second truck factory 1629399822867

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian is targeting Texas for second truck factory 1629400486875

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian is targeting Texas for second truck factory 1629400936339

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Bored with lack of CT news so I am cruising Rivian forums. I don’t know if Rivian will or will not make it to volume production but at lease they are out there seen by their reservation holders. I hope. We have more CT sightings posts here soon.
Rivian is doing a good job with promoting. The bed top tent and the bike over the tailgate... that's the kind of normal pickup truck thing I'm not sure will be quite so normal in the CT.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Because their first factory couldn’t be running any better and completely tapped out on capacity.

I know Bezos have to proof he is better than Elon by being the first to go to space in worlds biggest dildo and now he wants a factory next to Giga factory? When will he ever feel secure enough to not compare size anymore? Over 100 billion dollars isn’t enough apparently.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I know Bezos have to proof he is better than Elon by being the first to go to space in worlds biggest dildo and now he wants a factory next to Giga factory?
I want to see Jeff and Elon in a heads up "run what ya brung" race at a drag strip in Texas running for pink slips.
Winner gets to display the losers vehicle in front of his factory.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want to see Jeff and Elon in a heads up "run what ya brung" race at a drag strip in Texas running for pink slips.
Winner gets to display the losers vehicle in front of his factory.
Elon already has two Starships sitting out there. He doesn't need a New Sheppard taking up space, too. He's already complained about the ones he has!

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon already has two Starships sitting out there. He doesn't need a New Sheppard taking up space, too. He's already complained about the ones he has!

-Crissa
Eh, the New Sheppard is tiny, he can probably have them keep it in the mobile home park where he lives and turn it into an upscale AirBNB.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Will Rivian have dealerships? I don't think that is the plan. Then they will run into some of the same problems Tesla does selling in TX. Hopefully they go ahead with the factory in TX and can join forces with Tesla in getting the dealer lobby rules changed.
Here's hoping that with 2 new-style car manufacturers in the state, Texas will abandon their outdated dealership protection law.

Deleted member 12457

What is Texas' minimum wage? It's interesting they're demanding a minimum wage of $56K for every(?) worker. These are factory workers that do the few things robots can't do. Will they hire cleanup crew and cafeteria staff as part time so they can pay them much less? Texas isn't a state that pays more than the antiquated minimum wage. I also wonder how many of the 7000 employees are initial construction workers.

2021 Hourly Minimum Wage: $7.25/hour
Weekly Minimum Wage: $290.00/40-hr week
Yearly Minimum Wage: $15,080.00/year
ref: https://www.minimum-wage.org/texas

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
What is Texas' minimum wage? It's interesting they're demanding a minimum wage of $56K for every(?) worker. These are factory workers that do the few things robots can't do. Will they hire cleanup crew and cafeteria staff as part time so they can pay them much less?

Large companies will not directly hire part-timers for cleaning & food service jobs. The large companies do not want their fingerprints on the practice. No the large company will out-source those jobs to services sub-contractors and those sub-contractor will do all the labor abuse & low wages.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You know Texas lags far behind California in truck sales. And with California’s green initiatives being decades ahead of Texas likely a lot of buyers will switch to electric trucks. It would seem pretty smart for any EV truck maker to build in California. There is still a lot of cheap land and contrary to what you see on tv there is still a lot of space. I get that we have government issues and it’s hard to own a business here. I watch my parents get squeezed as their business failed during the recession. But I think it would go a really long way for Californians to be able to buy a truck made in California (and we would actually be allowed to buy it in our own state). We are working with Amazon out here on hundreds of thousands of sf of warehouse space and they are making it work.

Deleted member 12457

You know Texas lags far behind California in truck sales. And with California’s green initiatives being decades ahead of Texas likely a lot of buyers will switch to electric trucks. It would seem pretty smart for any EV truck maker to build in California. There is still a lot of cheap land and contrary to what you see on tv there is still a lot of space. I get that we have government issues and it’s hard to own a business here. I watch my parents get squeezed as their business failed during the recession. But I think it would go a really long way for Californians to be able to buy a truck made in California (and we would actually be allowed to buy it in our own state). We are working with Amazon out here on hundreds of thousands of sf of warehouse space and they are making it work.
Lived in Fullerton for 6 years when there were still orange groves and couldn't breath because of the smog. There isn't any room to build in southern California that wouldn't need an environmental impact study and cleanup before building there. Yes, there's lots of empty land across the state but water is running out and there's a shortage of the highly technical labor force (other articles--they're already employed for much more than $56K). Warehouse space is much different than building the equivalent of a gigafactory. Of course, using one of the military bases that have been shutdown and not converted could be a good place to put a new factory but, again, all of these are hazardous waste dumps that would need to be cleaned before they could be used. These were build during and post-WWII when it was normal to clean things on the runways and dirt using toxic chemicals and let the runoff go into the ground. Not only military but heavy industrial plants did same thing. Texas, on the other hand, has lots of space in certain parts, low taxes, and welcome the carbon credits to offset oil pumping so it's a great place to build things. That's why Tesla built there.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All building has environmental impact requirements. It's dumb to not have them.

That said, California has lots of empty factories and brown fields that were downsized or existed for some twentieth century technology that we don't use anymore.

-Crissa
Sponsored