Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last updated: July 12th, 2021 at 15:04 UTC+02:00

Samsung and Tesla sign a half a billion dollars deal for Cybertruck cameras
Future Tesla Cybertruck owners will reportedly have their rearview ‘mirrors’ powered by Samsung Electro-Mechanics. The latter company has apparently struck a deal with Tesla worth $436 million, and as a result, Samsung will reportedly supply the biggest EV manufacturer in the USA with its camera modules.

The reports originates from a couple of South Korean publications and claim that Samsung’s camera modules will be used by Tesla’s latest electric vehicle that was unveiled in November 2019, i.e., the Cybertruck. The prototype vehicle showcased on stage wasn’t equipped with conventional rearview mirrors, but instead, it used an array of cameras connected to the dashboard’s displays. The production model shouldn’t be all that different from the original prototype, and these reports further confirm that the Cybertruck will have a mirrorless design.

Samsung-Tesla tie-ins go back half a decade
Samsung and Tesla forming partnerships around EV technologies isn’t something new. The Korean tech giant has supplied Tesla with other EV-related technologies before, including batteries, and reports indicate that the new PixCell LED headlamp developed by Samsung will also be used by Tesla for its future EVs.

The AWD (all-wheel drive) Tesla Cybertruck model was originally planned to enter production later this year, with the the RWD (rear-wheel drive) model being slated for release in late 2022. There were rumors of a possible delay but it remains uncertain. Regardless of when the Cybertruck might go on sale, it will apparently leverage Samsung technologies for intelligent features.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-tesla-sign-half-a-billion-dollars-deal-cybertruck-cameras/
Sponsored

Last edited:

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
Last updated: July 12th, 2021 at 15:04 UTC+02:00

Samsung and Tesla sign a half a billion dollars deal for Cybertruck cameras
Future Tesla Cybertruck owners will reportedly have their rearview ‘mirrors’ powered by Samsung Electro-Mechanics. The latter company has apparently struck a deal with Tesla worth $436 million, and as a result, Samsung will reportedly supply the biggest EV manufacturer in the USA with its camera modules.

The reports originates from a couple of South Korean publications and claim that Samsung’s camera modules will be used by Tesla’s latest electric vehicle that was unveiled in November 2019, i.e., the Cybertruck. The prototype vehicle showcased on stage wasn’t equipped with conventional rearview mirrors, but instead, it used an array of cameras connected to the dashboard’s displays. The production model shouldn’t be all that different from the original prototype, and these reports further confirm that the Cybertruck will have a mirrorless design.

Samsung-Tesla tie-ins go back half a decade
Samsung and Tesla forming partnerships around EV technologies isn’t something new. The Korean tech giant has supplied Tesla with other EV-related technologies before, including batteries, and reports indicate that the new PixCell LED headlamp developed by Samsung will also be used by Tesla for its future EVs.

The AWD (all-wheel drive) Tesla Cybertruck model was originally planned to enter production later this year, with the the RWD (rear-wheel drive) model being slated for release in late 2022. There were rumors of a possible delay but it remains uncertain. Regardless of when the Cybertruck might go on sale, it will apparently leverage Samsung technologies for intelligent features.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-tesla-sign-half-a-billion-dollars-deal-cybertruck-cameras/
Interesting to see that the Mirrorless CT may be reality. I for one am in favor, and hope this is what will be part of the final design.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I'm mixed on this tbh. I have a '21 Bolt with the rearview cam in the mirror, and there's a significant "cognitive delay" for me when I'm using the cam vs. the regular mirror. It's a small difference, but I do notice it harder for me to "focus" on the mirror in camera mode.

I've actually played with why this might be the case, and I'm fairly certain it's because of the significant change in color/tones. The camera view is always much more "red" than the actual appearance of things, meaning there's a short adjustment time before my brain processes the mirror image as reality and splices it into my general awareness of things.

Maybe an improved camera will display a more realistic picture and thus reduce the issue. Or, otherwise, maybe repeated use will force me to get used to it.

cyberpays

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
northviewhomeowner.wixsite.com
Vehicles
CT Duel 69 vette all original(for sale)2019 RAM PU
Occupation
Retire software/life safety sales
Country flag
This will be great, again less moving parts as the adjustable mirrors. Lets hope its not set up like the Korean version of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 with separate little monitors on the top edge of the door skin...looks nuts! I am sure it will be a good clean look as the rest is....on another subject, there got be a point when no turn signals stems...all icon buttons...yoke steering wheel (not a wheel more like a control yoke) will drive less techie folks back to a lot more cabin features offered in other models. I do know some techs/tesla owners are also buying the Mach e as a alternative ride...may the one with the best ideas and creature comfort win...heavy on the creature comfort please!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This will be great, again less moving parts as the adjustable mirrors. Lets hope its not set up like the Korean version of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 with separate little monitors on the top edge of the door skin...looks nuts! I am sure it will be a good clean look as the rest is....on another subject, there got be a point when no turn signals stems...all icon buttons...yoke steering wheel (not a wheel more like a control yoke) will drive less techie folks back to a lot more cabin features offered in other models. I do know some techs/tesla owners are also buying the Mach e as a alternative ride...may the one with the best ideas and creature comfort win...heavy on the creature comfort please!
I'm a creature who enjoys comfort. Though in a CT that can sometimes be at odds with trying to keep things clean and less worn out. The last thing I want is a really nice interior that is caked with mud from the last time I was out in the wilderness and got caught in a heavy rain. If we are talking the SEXY models then creature comforts all the way baby. In the CT I'd want a balance with maintainable, long-lasting, and easy to clean.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I'm mixed on this tbh. I have a '21 Bolt with the rearview cam in the mirror, and there's a significant "cognitive delay" for me when I'm using the cam vs. the regular mirror. It's a small difference, but I do notice it harder for me to "focus" on the mirror in camera mode.

I've actually played with why this might be the case, and I'm fairly certain it's because of the significant change in color/tones. The camera view is always much more "red" than the actual appearance of things, meaning there's a short adjustment time before my brain processes the mirror image as reality and splices it into my general awareness of things.

Maybe an improved camera will display a more realistic picture and thus reduce the issue. Or, otherwise, maybe repeated use will force me to get used to it.
I have the same issue with my Bolt. The issue is focus, with a mirror your focus is "infinite", as you are focusing as though you are looking at something 50 or 60 feet away (same as when you are looking ahead out the windshield) even though the mirror is 2 feet from your face. With the monitor on, you have to adjust your focus to "2 feet". This adjustment of focus is a bit unnerving and not natural when you are used to the rearview mirror. Hopefully there is something they can do to make that transition easier. It may be something you can "get used to"... I just haven't tried, because I can just use the mirror instead.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I hope there is an extension or something, to move the camera lens outboard when towing.

marc.m3

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have the same issue with my Bolt. The issue is focus, with a mirror your focus is "infinite", as you are focusing as though you are looking at something 50 or 60 feet away (same as when you are looking ahead out the windshield) even though the mirror is 2 feet from your face. With the monitor on, you have to adjust your focus to "2 feet". This adjustment of focus is a bit unnerving and not natural when you are used to the rearview mirror. Hopefully there is something they can do to make that transition easier. It may be something you can "get used to"... I just haven't tried, because I can just use the mirror instead.
I agree, I think since we have never used cameras to drive your mind is telling you not to believe it. Once we start using them and get more use to it, it will become as second nature as mirrors.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I do notice it harder for me to "focus" on the mirror in camera mode.

I've actually played with why this might be the case
this is an interesting effect of optical mirrors ~ when you look through a mirror at an object, the effective distance that your eyes need to focus at is the distance from your eyes to the mirror plus the distance from the mirror to the object. Try looking at distant object in a mirror and then notice what happens when you look at the material at the edge of the mirror. For this reason, when your eyes are focussed at the far distance of the road ahead, the view in the mirrors are already in focus in your peripheral view and you can easily move your eyes to them without changing your focus depth very much. This also helps your mind to focus on the view in the mirror because the interior of the car will still be out of focus (because its much closer to your eyes). With an digital mirror, however, the depth that your eyes need to focus at is the just the distance between your eyes and the mirror, which is very close, so it takes significant muscular activity at your eyeballs to refocus. This also brings the rest of the interior into focus at the same time and increases the visual distractions available, making the need for your mind to refocus as well as your eyes.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
this is an interesting effect of optical mirrors ~ when you look through a mirror at an object, the effective distance that your eyes need to focus at is the distance from your eyes to the mirror plus the distance from the mirror to the object. Try looking at distant object in a mirror and then notice what happens when you look at the material at the edge of the mirror. For this reason, when your eyes are focussed at the far distance of the road ahead, the view in the mirrors are already in focus in your peripheral view and you can easily move your eyes to them without changing your focus depth very much. This also helps your mind to focus on the view in the mirror because the interior of the car will still be out of focus (because its much closer to your eyes). With an digital mirror, however, the depth that your eyes need to focus at is the just the distance between your eyes and the mirror, which is very close, so it takes significant muscular activity at your eyeballs to refocus. This also brings the rest of the interior into focus at the same time and increases the visual distractions available, making the need for your mind to refocus as well as your eyes.
This sounds like it's the core of the problem, and likely exacerbated by my lazy eye. It's worse when I'm wearing my glasses vs my contacts too. Hmm...

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
Hopefully the stainless steel can attract magnets and Tesla can deliver the Cybertruck with magnetic stick on mirrors. If owners take them off what can Tesla do?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Highly doubt any of you will be getting a truly mirrorless ct anytime soon.

If they are just starting research on the concept, it will be years before any regulations are updated to reflect results of that research.

Our first gen ct will have at minimum physical side view mirrors. They need road legal approval by the end of this year, not 5 years from now. And have already stated the design is locked. So they have had to include side view mirrors to get this road legal approval in order to start production in the next year. I can see them getting away with rear view camera/mirror where it defaults to camera but if power fails, the mirror is visible. This way they can say it's a mirror, while still defaulting to full screen instead.

You'll be optimistically waiting for gen 2 or 3 ct before you see them without side view mirrors
Sponsored