John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully the stainless steel can attract magnets and Tesla can deliver the Cybertruck with magnetic stick on mirrors. If owners take them off what can Tesla do?
All you need to do is glue a neodymium magnet under the stainless to mount the mirror.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And have already stated the design is locked. So they have had to include side view mirrors to get this road legal approval in order to start production in the next year. I can see them getting away with rear view camera/mirror where it defaults to camera but if power fails, the mirror is visible. This way they can say it's a mirror, while still defaulting to full screen instead.
The design is not "Locked".

Maybe everything else you say is true, but if the NHTSA approves the cameras before launch, there is a good chance they will ship without mirrors. Tesla wants the shipping trucks to have the greatest possible range and getting those mirrors out of the wind will be a top priority to get that range up.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The design is not "Locked".

Maybe everything else you say is true, but if the NHTSA approves the cameras before launch, there is a good chance they will ship without mirrors. Tesla wants the shipping trucks to have the greatest possible range and getting those mirrors out of the wind will be a top priority to get that range up.
You may be right, but given Elon himself has said the final design is in place, i take him at his word.

But my point of posting was that it's extremely wishful thinking bordering on pipe dreams to believe the NHTSA is going to make regulation changes in the next 6 months to clear the hurdles for Tesla to get the ct without side view mirrors in the next year. They are installing the tooling to build over the next 6 months and possibly cranking a minimal numbers out. It's not a small thing to change tooling at the drop off a hat for a design change like that. They have had to design with the expectations that side view mirrors will remain required in order to start manufacturing this year. We are discussing government regulation here, not whether you want Chinese or Italian tonight. Government regulation works in timescales of years, not months.

I'll eat my words if it happens. But i fully expect the truck to have side view mirrors regardless of what the display models look like.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You may be right, but given Elon himself has said the final design is in place, i take him at his word.

But my point of posting was that it's extremely wishful thinking bordering on pipe dreams to believe the NHTSA is going to make regulation changes in the next 6 months to clear the hurdles for Tesla to get the ct without side view mirrors in the next year. They are installing the tooling to build over the next 6 months and possibly cranking a minimal numbers out. It's not a small thing to change tooling at the drop off a hat for a design change like that. They have had to design with the expectations that side view mirrors will remain required in order to start manufacturing this year.

I'll eat my words if it happens. But i fully expect the truck to have side view mirrors regardless of what the display models look like.
I won't speculate on a government agency moving under any kind of reasonable time frame.

I definitely think Tesla will move fast if/ when this gets approved though.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I won't speculate on a government agency moving under any kind of reasonable time frame.

I definitely think Tesla will move fast if/ when this gets approved though.
With that, i completely agree. I am willing to bet they have both designs in play, with the ability to remove side view mirrors on existing ct model at the drop of a hat. But it makes no logical sense for them to design and set up the machinery at the factory with the expectation that regulation will change in time for their target production.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With that, i completely agree. I am willing to bet they have both designs in play, with the ability to remove side view mirrors on existing ct model at the drop of a hat. But it makes no logical sense for them to design and sweet up the factory with the expectation that regulation will change in time.
I was thinking of some sort of contingency design too.

I guess a side benefit to this is the folks with trailers and retro-grouches can have their physical mirrors. The big problem is do they have remote adjustable mirrors? That involves wiring and power, a lot harder to just yank out or add in.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I'm mixed on this tbh. I have a '21 Bolt with the rearview cam in the mirror, and there's a significant "cognitive delay" for me when I'm using the cam vs. the regular mirror. It's a small difference, but I do notice it harder for me to "focus" on the mirror in camera mode.

I've actually played with why this might be the case, and I'm fairly certain it's because of the significant change in color/tones. The camera view is always much more "red" than the actual appearance of things, meaning there's a short adjustment time before my brain processes the mirror image as reality and splices it into my general awareness of things.

Maybe an improved camera will display a more realistic picture and thus reduce the issue. Or, otherwise, maybe repeated use will force me to get used to it.
I have a Bolt as well and it took me awhile to get used to the rearview mirror camera. I particularly like when backing up, between the rear camera and rearview camera, outstanding rear visibility. I don't like it on the freeway because it is really hard to judge distance. More time on the freeway and I would probably get used to it, but my kids have the Bolt now and I have the MS...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Bolt video display is considered pretty poor, though.

And the regulation doesn't need to be changed for there to be vehicles testing a new configuration on the road. We won't have data from the new configuration until they allow a statistically significant number of them. Then they'll change the regulation.

The first vehicles will have a provisional allowance or something. Since Teslas have all that sentry mode stuff, they'll probably barter that for permission.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I'm mixed on this tbh. I have a '21 Bolt with the rearview cam in the mirror, and there's a significant "cognitive delay" for me when I'm using the cam vs. the regular mirror. It's a small difference, but I do notice it harder for me to "focus" on the mirror in camera mode.
I have the same issue with my Bolt. The issue is focus, with a mirror your focus is "infinite", as you are focusing as though you are looking at something 50 or 60 feet away (same as when you are looking ahead out the windshield) even though the mirror is 2 feet from your face. With the monitor on, you have to adjust your focus to "2 feet". This adjustment of focus is a bit unnerving and not natural when you are used to the rearview mirror. Hopefully there is something they can do to make that transition easier. It may be something you can "get used to"... I just haven't tried, because I can just use the mirror instead.
This sounds like it's the core of the problem, and likely exacerbated by my lazy eye. It's worse when I'm wearing my glasses vs my contacts too. Hmm...
If they put the display in a traditional location, I may have to design a custom tri focal reading glass that is reading glass on bottom and top right and regular glass in the middle.

I hope they put the image right on top of Yoke and hope it has it's own image processor if it is going to be running full time.

I love a high enough resolution that allows a good image for a stereo mode that duplicates the image to blue and red letting you select your desired focal distance that the system will use to separate the images accordingly. Two images could come from two cameras for better depth perception. Wear one of those funky 3D glasses and focus shifting problems should go away.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Ok, how about "mirrors are for people that can't go 0-60 in under 3 seconds"
You've never actually tried to file an auto insurance claim, have you?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Mirrors are for people without insurance
The mirror issue is overrated. My asian friend told me his dad has never used his rear view mirror. He swore he once saw his mailbox crap on it’s post as his dad was backing up full speed looking forward.
Sponsored