Should a Shortbed Cybertruck come with a discount price ?

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Tesla is about production to keep costs down, I see them making one size only
Well my good Sir, they've confirmed they're making two,

What you see, or rather, what for some peculiar reason you don't want to see, is Elon and Tesla have already unequivocally confirmed they are working on a smaller version Cybertruck already. Even going so far as giving an actual dimension, 73" inch wide. (which for reasons given elsewhere may be 75" or more )
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I can see a huge market for a smaller version for everywhere other than the USA. And since tooling for cyber is cheap and easy, could be pretty simple to set it up as a secondary line

Reactions: Geo
OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I can see a huge market for a smaller version for everywhere other than the USA. And since tooling for cyber is cheap and easy, could be pretty simple to set it up as a secondary line
I think your're right about the simplicity to set up for a 2nd version of the Cybertruck.

If the Model 3 and model Y share 75% of parts, I'd suggest Cybertruck Longbed and CT shortbed may be more than 90% in common.

You may not even need a second line, Some manufactures have multiple models on one line concurrently.

P.S Hey it may even be so easy, they could put all the parts in a flat panel pack with an Allen key, save on shipping and let customers assemble it like an IKEA bookshelf ;)

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Well my good Sir, they've confirmed they're making two,

What you see, or rather, what for some peculiar reason you don't want to see, is Elon and Tesla have already unequivocally confirmed they are working on a smaller version Cybertruck already. Even going so far as giving an actual dimension, 73" inch wide. (which for reasons given elsewhere may be 75" or more )
I am not holding my breath when it comes to Tesla saying what sizes they will be making, I do expect things to change the closer they get to producing a vehicle

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I am not holding my breath when it comes to Tesla saying what sizes they will be making, I do expect things to change the closer they get to producing a vehicle
Your sentiment is reasonable, they have changed things a bit.
(Elon has even put stakes in the ground on somethings and just a couple of weeks later done the complete opposite. Like saying on the 1st Qtr earnings call, there will be no capital raising !)

But one thing is for sure, It will absolutely come with a 6.5 ft bed.
Its the only thing that has been set in stone.

Every other detail is ever so slightly loose, like the wheelbase which was specifically stated at 149.9". That may now be less.
The width is ~ 82", the length is ~ 224.7 ".
But getting to those numbers has been a little convoluted, and some people understandably aren't sure what the ~82 " width figure is exactly,
is it to the end of the mirrors, which are yet to come if at all, or the edge of the fender shrouds, or the body panels !
I believe its to the outer edge of the fender shrouds.

The next set of debate is around the 2nd Cybertruck version, the one that Elon has stated will be 73" wide (but may now be 75" or more).
The one that's more suited to international markets, and mentioned in the Order Page for Cybertruck in international markets.
It will also be sold in the U.S, the biggest single Longbed and shortbed Pickup market in the world.

Now every thing about that is open to debate, as to how much smaller that will be,
Because one thing is for sure, 82 inch wide is very much unsuitable in Europe and Asia / Australian markets.
82 inch wide by 225 inch long, is exponentially worse. You will definitely find buyers, but far from maximum volume.

But since orders have been taken for this internationally, it will be interesting to see how smart or not Tesla can be.
I think its very straight forward to offer the smaller "Goldilocks Cybertruck" soon and gauge demand and plan for production accordingly.
They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. For both U.S. and International markets.

Numbers could grow significantly.

What have you got to lose, try it, try it, its not like I'm suggesting anyone needs to gargle disinfectant to clean their lungs ;)

P.S. Every one knows, the best way to do that is to Macgyver a tooth brush to a long kitchen utensil and scrub your lungs directly.
My problem is I can't cock my head back far enough, I keep falling over backwards.

( Oh, Personally my money is on 75-77 " wide by 208 " long, with a 62 " bed.
In Australia that would be considered a very large ute, anything bigger is considered a novelty like BIG FOOT or Industrial like a semi )

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Your sentiment is reasonable, they have changed things a bit.
(Elon has even put stakes in the ground on somethings and just a couple of weeks later done the complete opposite. Like saying on the 1st Qtr earnings call, there will be no capital raising !)

But one thing is for sure, It will absolutely come with a 6.5 ft bed.
Its the only thing that has been set in stone.

Every other detail is ever so slightly loose, like the wheelbase which was specifically stated at 149.9". That may now be less.
The width is ~ 82", the length is ~ 224.7 ".
But getting to those numbers has been a little convoluted, and some people understandably aren't sure what the ~82 " width figure is exactly,
is it to the end of the mirrors, which are yet to come if at all, or the edge of the fender shrouds, or the body panels !
I believe its to the end outer edge of the fender shrouds.

The next set of debate is around the 2nd Cybertruck version, the one that Elon has stated will be 73" wide (but may now be 75" or more).
The one that's more suited to international markets, and mentioned in the Order Page for Cybertruck in international markets.
It will also be sold in the U.S, the biggest single Longbed and shortbed Pickup market in the world.

Now every thing about that is open to debate, as to how much smaller that will be,
Because one thing is for sure, 82 inch wide is very much unsuitable in Europe and Asia / Australian markets.
82 inch wide by 225 inch long, is exponentially worse. You will definitely find buyers, but far from maximum volume.

But since orders have been taken for this internationally, it will be interesting to see how smart or not Tesla can be.
I think its very straight forward to offer the smaller "Goldilocks Cybertruck" soon and gauge demand and plan for production accordingly.
They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. For both U.S. and International markets.

Numbers could grow significantly.

What have you got to lose, try it, try it, its not like I'm suggesting anyone needs to gargle disinfectant to clean their lungs ;)

P.S. Every one knows, the best way to do that is to Macgyver a tooth brush to a long kitchen utensil and scrub your lungs directly.
My problem is I can't cock my head back far enough, I keep falling over backwards.

( Oh, Personally my money is on 75-77 " wide by 208 " long, with a 62 " bed.
In Australia that would be considered a very large ute, anything bigger is considered a novelty like BIG FOOT or Industrial like a semi )

I don't see outside of the U.S. to be the target, inside the states will be much bigger. I presently drive a Toyota Tundra which is 80" wide and 248" long and that is the average size for a F-150 size that Elon is aiming for, anything smaller and I would have to call a disappointment

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I don't see outside of the U.S. to be the target, inside the states will be much bigger. I presently drive a Toyota Tundra which is 80" wide and 248" long and that is the average size for a F-150 size that Elon is aiming for, anything smaller and I would have to call a disappointment
I believe you, and your're not even from Texas, where from what I understand its almost illegal to drive anything smaller than a Kenworth ;)

But I'm truely confused as to why you would be disappointed if Tesla sold more variety of vehicles !

If they sold scooters, or electric paraglider's or Model 3's, or an additional shortbed version of the Cybertruck, it makes no difference to the
Flagship Cybertruck they are making, the one you want, and have ordered.

Perhaps they may even make a 248" long version after the short bed, that suits you even more.

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
But I'm truely confused as to why you would be disappointed if Tesla sold more variety of vehicles !

I still believe there will only be one size especially in the beginning. Tesla has only become profitable recently, not a bunch of excess cash to do multiple sizes

OP
OP

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
When over 90% of parts are in common, I.e just going from a Longbed to Shortbed. On a vehicle that has no stamped panels !
And you save about 500 lbs of expensive Stainless Steel.

Incremental cost is not only minor but virtually negligible, especially when considering the quantifiable multi - Billions in additional revenue, and customer satisfaction.

Why don’t you answer the question, why are you so threatened, bizarrely “ disappointed “ as you put it previously,
if they offer a Shortbed version?

You don't have to answer, but I will have to treat you a little special.
All these points have been made before and genuinely and sincerely addressed.

Last edited:

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
I think the two most relevant variables that would answer your question are 1) does the vehicle actually cost less to produce and 2) what will the market pay?

Just because you use a little less stainless steel on a smaller model doesn’t mean it’s a material cost savings to tesla. I could see the incremental labor, unique dies, additional engineering , regulatory testing of the new body, etc outweighing the small savings on stainless. Especially if they sell materially fewer units than the flagship full size mode. It’s not like you’re buying green bean...the cost of the stainless is likely a very small component of everything going into it.

There’s definitely an emotional connection to paying less for something smaller, but we often pay MORE for something smaller too (eg iphones). Unless there was huge demand for a smaller version, it’s probably more expensive to produce than the full size.

Case in point on the #2 above - if you REALLY wanted that smaller version, but it was prices $5k HIGHER than the standard size, would you pay it? Some would. Others would have a hard time reconciling the smaller size/higher cost and go full size or pass on it entirely.

Of course, Tesla could accept lower margins on it, but then what’s the incentive to make it in the first place?
if it was a regular construction, i think this would be the case. However, the CT doesent use special dies and stamping machines. they CNC score the sheets and bend them with a press break. When it comes to changing the body its as simple as changing the G-code. the difficult part is changing the 'skateboard'.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
When the Short bed Cybertruck is offered, is it reasonable to expect a smaller price tag ?

After all, Tesla will save on putting about 500 lbs less Stainless Steel in it, won't they ?
Traditional short beds, step sides and morphs like 4Runnrs and Tahoe’s become separate models if the uptake happens or they remain rare one-offs that command higher prices in the aftermarket.

That’s the most reward for buying short you’ll likely ever to see with Tesla.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Traditional short beds, step sides and morphs like 4Runnrs and Tahoe’s become separate models if the uptake happens or they remain rare one-offs that command higher prices in the aftermarket.
Since traditional trucks can usually put on a short bed with minimal changes to the rest of the vehicle while with the CyberTruck, that will not be true. It is a whole design and changing the length of the bed will impact the whole exoskeleton and require a reworking of a lot of components.

I think the smaller CyberTruck will be its own design and it might share some components, but even the cover and such will have to be changed.

Will it be cheaper? Maybe, but that could be do more to market forces and not being able to charge as much for it, not how much it costs to make. It will probably result in a smaller margin of profit...

Unless the CyberTruck they are taking reservations for in China is for this smaller design. I could see smaller CyberTruck being made there for the smaller size market... and the fullsize CyberTruck being manufactured in the US for those countries where the fullsize will sell better.

Of course, demand could change that if enough people reserved a CyberTruck for Africa, i could see Tesla building a plant there.

TalSet

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR from Germany
Occupation
Self Employee / PV Cleaning
Country flag
I hope that the the smaller version has the same lenght of the bed, but no second sitting row. I barely have more than 3 person´s in my car )

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I hope that the the smaller version has the same lenght of the bed, but no second sitting row. I barely have more than 3 person´s in my car )
Exactly, 2 door short wheelbase FUN truck. With a back window that goes down. Think 2 door Bronco with a truck bed. It would be Baja truck. Heck, why not removable doors. That could be stored in the frunk.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
When the Short bed Cybertruck is offered, is it reasonable to expect a smaller price tag ?

After all, Tesla will save on putting about 500 lbs less Stainless Steel in it, won't they ?
I would prefer ANY smaller option if it kept the same battery and motor options. I am buying the CT not because of its massive size, but because it is so fast. If 0-60 at 2.9 goes down I will be even more excited.
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo