Was it worth the overall size reduction in your opinion so that it fits in a garage

• Total voters

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
My more immediate question is why not a single garage I have seen in America has painted drywall??

What's up with that? 🤪
Sponsored

First Name
dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
modely
Country flag
Based upon a recent visit there, the Ford F150 is very popular in China. Shrinking the Cybertruck further will not be necessary should Tesla decide to address that market with the Cybertruck.
Traditional internal combustion engine pickups are banned in many urban areas in China, which has also limited pickup sales in the country. Fortunately, the restrictions on pure electric pickups are being lifted, and sales are sure to increase significantly.

The Ford 150 is very popular in China, but import duties and purchase taxes are very expensive, and wage earners seldom buy it. I think cybertruck will have an ice-breaking miracle.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
No need to be snarky. I just pointed it out as it’s a very common misconception and people are potentially going to be disappointed if they live by that assumption.
Snark for snark bud. Your mansplaining was a bit much. The point I was making was that the truck doesn't need the protection of a shelter. Regardless of bullets or no.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Got it, so to push the question back in a different worded way, "how is Cybertruck smaller in dimension, but has a bigger bed space than the F150?"

I think they compromised in frunk space, Lightning frunk for instance appears to effectively take up the full engine bay. Cybertruck frunk looks basically like this:
1689898677558.jpeg

The Cybertruck frunk, if I have understand correctly, is just the area in front of the wheels, it doesn't really push back. Yesterdays deck you can actually even see the mounting points for the frunk tub!
orange is the lining of the frunk tub, green is where I believe it actually bolts down.
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 5.19.24 PM.jpg

Compare to this unmarked
1689898873690.jpeg

All that "dead" space behind is where motors go, ac system, fan etc. In the OG Cybertruck, this was sandwiched on top of itself. That little typical Tesla frunk was a top on top of the systems that are now instead mounted behind, between the wheel wells.

NOW... "what about the bed?!"

Well, the bed protrudes into the backrest of the Cybertruck - we al know. One big benefit to Cybertruck build style is, unlike a traditional body on frame/ ladder truck, there is no brake in the bed / cab. On a regular truck... You lose a couple inches right there between space and steel. I'd say 2, roughly. It is my belief they are quite possibly not spouting the floor length of the bed, but rather the length to the backrest. I think that length, to the backrest, is right at 6', while the floor begs an additional several inches, landing at nearly 6'3" or so. That's 3" or 4" lost/ gained, depending how you see it, thanks to the backrest overhang.
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 5.24.03 PM.jpg

So to tag back to the primary question of "how did Cybertruck get a bigger bed in a smaller package and still run around claiming it's a full size pick up?"

They didn't run with a preexisting truck style, and donate space to a semi useless frunk. The frunk on Cybertruck is plenty big! Highly effective, and very useful. To put it nicely, the Lightning is too useful. It's just mondo and has been both the butt of jokes, and praise! They got that - the mega frunk. It's huge! But really, it's in the way. So Cybertruck chopped some front, about 4" and made a more efficient front build out, while still maintaining it's great frunk design!

How often do you use for frunk, @cvalue13 or any other Lightning owners. It's not specifically IF you do, it's how empty it stays really. I'd wager that much of the space is generally unused, and that Cybertruck will be super useful.

Hope this makes sense, curious of your thoughts.
@greggertruck based on the picture you are showing for possible frunk size I think it will work fine. I do hope it is power lift. I see value in giving up some frunk volume if it means better interior cabin space which is more important to me.
The frunk in my Lightning is used weekly. Easier to load then my empty rear seating area and much better then the bed. The frunk keeps things in place better and is the right height for loading and unloading. For a truck a frunk is much more useful then if you have a sedan or a hatchback. My wife never even remembers she has one in her MY.

Great analysis.

bfayer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Mustang GT, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Nope, I wanted a longer bed. I wanted the a six seater also, but I knew that was going to be a problem with the center screen (passenger airbag issues). A longer bed was very doable, and worth more to me than being able to put it in a "average" garage. Its not a show stopper, just something I would have preferred. My garage is 22ft.

BryanMorera

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Do I want to fit it in a garage? No.

Do I think its a good thing that they are making an effort to make it fit in a garage? Yes.

So long as the bed length is unaffected, it is a net benefit to have the CT fit in a garage as many people will like to have that option.

We have to realize that the more CT's they sell, the more they are able to mass produce them, making them more affordable, and more likely that they will invest more time and effort to improving it over the years.

We also have to realize that while the "real work truck" features are important, 99.9% of CT's sold (mine included) will not be work trucks. They will be everyday commute vehicles (albeit capable of surviving a zombie apocalypse).

As such, while I won't personally benefit from the size reduction, nor do I particularly like it, I do understand why they are doing it, and I support the move so that the truck will have the greatest possible range of potential buyers.

Additional Note: There's nothing stopping Tesla from producing more than one version of the CT with different dimensions down the road. That is what Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota all do, offering varying bed and cabin sizes.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag

henchman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
some helpful thoughts in there (and confirms my separate view of the Frunk size)

but none of it catches the drift of the thought experiment

you’re conversation above focuses on one side of the coin: the CT is ~4.5” shorter than an F150 SCREW, but the CT manages to have a bed that is ~7” longer - great trick, I’m here for it.

but to pull off the above trick, the inverse is also true: the parts of the CT that are *not* the bed are ~11.5” *shorter* than the parts of the F150 that are not the bed

Accordingly, while we can all agree it is great that the CT bed is ~7” longer than the F150 SCREW bed, it begs the question of so where compared to the F150 did the CT shave off the other 12” ?

At a high level, the answer has to be that the CT’s nose to bulkhead length is roughly 12” shorter than the length of an F150’s Nose to bed bulkhead

Which is why I pointed out that the answer is *not* the “useless” space forward of the wheel-wells, as that dimension is roughly identical between the trucks

And I’m not sure that I buy that a material amount of the difference is the bed bulkhead area. Factoring in the tonneau channel, etc, there’s just not that much more space between an F150 cab rear and its bed front.

in any event, to answer your musings over the Frunk:

all the time I use it. It’s among the top three most useful differences between the ICE and Lightning, and an absolute game-changer for almost anyone who’s driven a truck for decades.

which brings me to:

Bro

Dont make me go pull receipts 😂

Pretty certain that just 6-8 months ago you were among the people hee-hawing about how the size of CT’s mega Frunk was going to put the Lightning to shame, fit more things, be even more awesome-bigger, etc.

This about-face of narrative is almost painful to watch!

I’ll tail off with a different question:

We know the CT bed is now ~6” shorter. We know the Frunk is materially smaller than earlier thought.

Given that the Lightning Frunk volume is 14.1 cubic feet. And given that an 8’ truck bed has 77 cubic feet of volume:

Where, then, do you think Tesla has put the “100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage”?

I’d guess the CT Frunk ends up being half the lightning, say 7cu feet

If the CT bed (not counting the sails) is 6’ long, by the standard 19” high, by 50” wide, that’s 39.5cu feet. The sails are less than half that, but I’ll give it to them for the moment, that’s a bed volume of 60cu Feet

that gets us to Frunk + bed/tonneau and f 67cu feet

You hiding some sail storage deets? 30+ cu ft is a long way to go!
A pretty major difference in length between the Cybertruck and pretty much any other truck is also the bumpers. The F150 front bumper is ~2-3" protruded from the grill and the rear bumper is a solid 5". On the Cybertruck, the bumpers do not look to protrude much (if any) past the body. It doesn't look to me that you have taken that into account in the postings that I have seen (admittedly haven't been lurking here long).

The truck looks to me like a ~228" L ~78"W ~74"H (that'll vary with the suspension settings) vehicle that fits a 6+' bed. Along with that it has a pretty normal sized interior for a full sized truck (width TBD... length is within the range of the Chevy, Ram and Ford offerings).

Edit: Another little difference is the gap between the cab and the bed on most trucks. Given the cab ends, then there is a ~2" gap, then the bed begins is another couple inches to gain. When we are talking about gaining 9" on a bed length compared to a 5'5" bed. 2" with the front bumper, 2" in between cab and bed, and 3" on the rear bumper (just to assume the final bumper is out an inch or two) makes up ~7+ of those inches through tidier packaging.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The F150 front bumper is ~2-3" protruded from the grill and the rear bumper is a solid 5". On the Cybertruck, the bumpers do not look to protrude much (if any) past the body. It doesn't look to me that you have taken that into account in the postings that I have seen (admittedly haven't been lurking here long).
Yes and as repeated, here just using rough numbers and measures for a few thought experiments.

That said, since we both seem interested in double-clicking a degree of resolution further:

Let's take your bumper point, which while reasonable to perceive when eyeballing it turns out to be false.

(Let's for present purposes ignore the photo above of the Raptor, which has a unique bumper set, and instead use my Lightning as the more relevant comparator.)

Lightning Length: 232.70 inch
CT Length: 227.5"
Delta: 5.2"

There are visual ques that make it appear that the Lightning bumpers extend materially more than the CTs, such as the bumper protrusion inward of the quarterpanel, but these are illusions - in reality, the bumper protrusions of both vehicles are near enough for present purposes to say they are on average (between front and back) identical, or off by ~1" at most. The Lightning may have a fraction more rear bumper protusion, but if so the CT has a fraction more front bumper protrusion.

Below aren't perfect comparator photos, but they get across the point:

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? 1689949717957

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? 1689949877347

Like the bumper point above, other differences that people point out turn out to be on inspection a bit in favor of one vehicle or the other, to an averaged conclusion of - still - where'd that 12" go?

For just a few examples, above @greggertruck understandably on perception and some rough mental image purports that the F150 loses functional length between the rear cab bulkhead and the front bed bulkhead. Here again, on inspection, this turns out to be unclearly different between the vehicles, and one could even argue the CT may lose more space here given that unlike the F150 the CT has to have room for not only the normal bulkheads, but also the tonneau channel.

As it turns out, the F150 has only 0.5-0.75" between the rear cab bulkhead and the front bed bulkhead, although the bed's uppermost 'lip' would cause people to armchair otherwise.

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? 1689950869587

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? 1689950910755

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? 1689950942739

From there, one can collect a half dozen other such minor differences, but each will variously seem too close to call, or split regarding which vehicle gains/loses an 1" here and there - to an average conclusion of ...

.... where did that 12" go?

I'll leave with just one more thought: based on my comparative photos (scaled), the CT and the F150 have ~identical distances between (A) the tip of the nose, and (B) the dashboard line nearest the driver.
a
Which is to say, if that is true, and the CT has a 7" longer bed than the F150, the missing 12" is at least in material part somewhere within the cab dimensions.

Not at all to suggest there might not be an inch or two gained/lost elsewhere, and not at all to suggest that it's exactly 12", but instead only to scope that on a directional and magnitude basis, there is some chunk of the CT that is materially shorter, and it aint the "nose" and it aint the bed.

henchman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Yes and as repeated, here just using rough numbers and measures for a few thought experiments.

That said, since we both seem interested in double-clicking a degree of resolution further:

Let's take your bumper point, which while reasonable to perceive when eyeballing it turns out to be false.

(Let's for present purposes ignore the photo above of the Raptor, which has a unique bumper set, and instead use my Lightning as the more relevant comparator.)

Lightning Length: 232.70 inch
CT Length: 227.5"
Delta: 5.2"

There are visual ques that make it appear that the Lightning bumpers extend materially more than the CTs, such as the bumper protrusion inward of the quarterpanel, but these are illusions - in reality, the bumper protrusions of both vehicles are near enough for present purposes to say they are on average (between front and back) identical, or off by ~1" at most. The Lightning may have a fraction more rear bumper protusion, but if so the CT has a fraction more front bumper protrusion.

Below aren't perfect comparator photos, but they get across the point:

1689949717957.png

1689949877347.png

Like the bumper point above, other differences that people point out turn out to be on inspection a bit in favor of one vehicle or the other, to an averaged conclusion of - still - where'd that 12" go?

For just a few examples, above @greggertruck understandably on perception and some rough mental image purports that the F150 loses functional length between the rear cab bulkhead and the front bed bulkhead. Here again, on inspection, this turns out to be unclearly different between the vehicles, and one could even argue the CT may lose more space here given that unlike the F150 the CT has to have room for not only the normal bulkheads, but also the tonneau channel.

As it turns out, the F150 has only 0.5-0.75" between the rear cab bulkhead and the front bed bulkhead, although the bed's uppermost 'lip' would cause people to armchair otherwise.

1689950869587.png

1689950910755.png

1689950942739.png

From there, one can collect a half dozen other such minor differences, but each will variously seem too close to call, or split regarding which vehicle gains/loses an 1" here and there - to an average conclusion of ...

.... where did that 12" go?

I'll leave with just one more thought: based on my comparative photos (scaled), the CT and the F150 have ~identical distances between (A) the tip of the nose, and (B) the dashboard line nearest the driver.
a
Which is to say, if that is true, and the CT has a 7" longer bed than the F150, the missing 12" is at least in material part somewhere within the cab dimensions.

Not at all to suggest there might not be an inch or two gained/lost elsewhere, and not at all to suggest that it's exactly 12", but instead only to scope that on a directional and magnitude basis, there is some chunk of the CT that is materially shorter, and it aint the "nose" and it aint the bed.
I think you're selling short the 1" at most on the back. The Lightning bumper picture has the line running through the hitch and middle protrusion of the bumper and is further back still. We are probably at least 3" difference there. The front pictures are from different angles with some distortion. Even so, the front bumper on the Lightning protrudes forward beyond the grill. That angle does make the Cybertruck look to have the bumper out in front though. Probably minimal difference there.

The bed measurements you are taking though are certainly not accounting for all the difference. By the measurements looks a tad more than a half inch (little less than 1 3/4 and little more than 2 1/2), but you're not taking into account the bulkheads thickness (sheet metal so not much) and usable space differences. Along with that, we have the angle difference. Ford's bulkheads are straight up and down. The Cybertruck is at an angle. How much we don't exactly know, but it certainly exists. Taking away the gap, only having one bulkhead and likely different packaging and shape will be a difference and one likely significantly more than 1/2".

The photos are going to be really hard to get 100% perfect scaling unless they are taken side by side with the same camera and lens. We really don't have a great set of pictures yet to be definitive with exacts. We are probably talking an inch here, inch there, 3 inches over there to get to it. Plus come angle gaming on the bed length (I think that is another few in this). Adding to that, Tesla tends to have tighter packaging in general on the interiors. Possible they shrunk the cabin by an inch or so (I'd say likely) and made up for it with seat thickness and other measures (ala Model 3 and Y with how thin the backrests are).

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I'm probably rehashing what everyone said...

For interior space, I recall the unveil participants that got a test ride saying the CT was cavernous inside.

Just guessing... But initially, the prototype looks to have been designed with the Ford F150's exterior volume in mind, aiming to match or surpass its cargo capabilities. However, once they pinpointed what they could achieve within that footprint, they seemed to step away from that constraint.

Tesla's focus then probably turned to trimming any excess, while still retaining the cargo and cabin space. As a result, they got a more compact exterior that still boasts a bigger bed and probably more cabin space than the F150.

Tesla Cybertruck So the Cybertruck fits in a garage (at under 19ft long)... But was the size reduction worth it for you? tesla-cybertruck-s-interior-screenshots-from-video

From my observation, the Cybertruck's interior originally seemed to have a lot of unused and poorly used space at the driver's position forward.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For interior space, I recall the unveil participants that got a test ride saying the CT was cavernous inside.
That's part of the crazy technology that Elon keeps telling us the CT has. It works like a Tardis.
Sponsored