Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
I have a few questions about spares, maybe people know some answers:

1. Tesla shows spare going in the bed. Is it too large for under-bed compartment?
2. $1250 for tire kit looks kinda steep, or maybe it is a fair price? Anyone priced a build your own alternative? What does that come to? Can you share part list.
3. Just a rant: I find this new trend (it's not just Tesla) of selling new cars without spares mildly infuriating. It should be illegal IMO
Sponsored

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag

1. Tesla shows spare going in the bed. Is it too large for under-bed compartment?
2. $1250 for tire kit looks kinda steep, or maybe it is a fair price? Anyone priced a build your own alternative? What does that come to? Can you share part list.
3. Just a rant: I find this new trend (it's not just Tesla) of selling new cars without spares mildly infuriating. It should be illegal IMO
From all of the photos and seeing it in person, I am very confident that it won’t fit in the compartment in / under the bed. Elon, did say that it takes up 1/3 of the bed. (I believe.)

OP
OP

Fedork

First Name
Fedor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The Tesla spare with matching wheel and same tire is somewhat high, but not whack for an OEM. The tire alone retails for around $450 and a 20" wheels are also $400, $500 and up.
But that presumes you need a matching wheel and tire. Which is somewhat overkill. What most trucks that come with a spare have is the same sized (full size) wheel and tire on a cheaper, non-matching wheel with a cheaper, no-name or low-mileage rated tire.

Last edited:

RadoRage

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CyberTruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I was actually curious to know if a spare tire could mounted in the bed vertically, rather than flat taking up a lot of room in the bed.

If the size of the bed plus the sail/bed cover is tall enough to fit the needed size of spare, it could save room.

Pictures for comparison
Tesla's Offered Kit:
Tesla Cybertruck Spare tire questions Tesla Spare.PNG

Option 1:
Tesla Cybertruck Spare tire questions Option1.PNG

Option 2:
Tesla Cybertruck Spare tire questions Option2.PNG

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is something that a lot of people really don't give Tesla due credit for. For the absolute vast majority of people in the vast majority of use cases, spare tires are a fool's errand and a total waste of time/space/money.

In the rare event you actually needed a spare tire for general use, it would likely be too flat to run anyway since most people refuse to do routine maintenance.

TL;DR: Use roadside assistance in the rare event you need a spare tire or one plugged if you can't be bothered to have a proper tire repair kit onboard.

OP
OP

Fedork

First Name
Fedor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
This is something that a lot of people really don't give Tesla due credit for. For the absolute vast majority of people in the vast majority of use cases, spare tires are a fool's errand and a total waste of time/space/money.

In the rare event you actually needed a spare tire for general use, it would likely be too flat to run anyway since most people refuse to do routine maintenance.

TL;DR: Use roadside assistance in the rare event you need a spare tire or one plugged if you can't be bothered to have a proper tire repair kit onboard.
I beg to differ. If I have a flat (which is the most likely thing to go wrong on the road by far) and I have a spare in the car - I know I will be on my way within 15 minutes, with roadside assistance - it's anybody's guess. Sometimes time is of the essense.

Curious - are there any feasible run-flat options for cybertruck? I mean, it's bulletproof, so the tires are the most vulnerable part

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/full-size-spare-tire
$1,485 for similar Rivian spare wheel

start with post #14, then head over to #31 and enjoy the discussion
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-location.9709/

What happens when you get two flat tires? Make it illegal that the vehicle was sold without two spares? Last month I picked up my SO's Porsche from a nationwide tire shop, after they installed new winter tires (purchased from said shop) on known good rims. Next day she drove out of the garage and 1/8 mile down the street to find 2 of the 4 tires flat-- 5 and 10 psi. So two flats does and can occur. Technician didn't tighten the TPMS.

More many cases, an inflator and tire plug kit is a significantly better option, at lower cost. For true off road, yes, carry inflator, tire plug kit, spare, and if advisable for terrain/trail conditions, material to deal with multiple tire failures.

Last edited:

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I beg to differ. If I have a flat (which is the most likely thing to go wrong on the road by far) and I have a spare in the car - I know I will be on my way within 15 minutes, with roadside assistance - it's anybody's guess. Sometimes time is of the essense.

Curious - are there any feasible run-flat options for cybertruck? I mean, it's bulletproof, so the tires are the most vulnerable part
There are for sure an array of run-flats that you can buy.

To further explain my comment above: it's a good thing that manufacturers like Tesla are starting to cut out items that are simply not used for the majority of people. Another good example is the cars not coming with floor mats. I'm glad that my model 3 didn't come with anything because I didn't want the cost of cheesy carpet floor mats baked into the overall cost of the car. It gives the consumer the choice of either buying your prefered flavor from Telsa or even a 3rd party.

I have to ask... how many times over the years have you had a flat tire that resulted in you needing to completely swap a tire on the fly due to time constraints?

Parafly

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Expedition
Country flag
not OP but I've changed 4 tires roadside in the past 3 / 4 years.

OP
OP

Fedork

First Name
Fedor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
There are for sure an array of run-flats that you can buy.

To further explain my comment above: it's a good thing that manufacturers like Tesla are starting to cut out items that are simply not used for the majority of people. Another good example is the cars not coming with floor mats. I'm glad that my model 3 didn't come with anything because I didn't want the cost of cheesy carpet floor mats baked into the overall cost of the car. It gives the consumer the choice of either buying your prefered flavor from Telsa or even a 3rd party.

I have to ask... how many times over the years have you had a flat tire that resulted in you needing to completely swap a tire on the fly due to time constraints?
I see your point about the choice. Many people these days can't or do not want to put on a spare by themselves anyway, so for them it is likely a waste indeed.

As far as personal experience - I did get a number of flats over the years, not sure how many, but perhaps once every 2-5 years? Every time I get it I am going somewhere I want/need to be. Spare allows me to get there (almost) on time and then deal with the flat on my terms when I get round to it. Patching may or may not work, spare is more reliable and predictable. Jack the car up, take off 5 nuts, take off the wheel, put on the spare, tighten the nuts, lower the car, pack the tire and jack, gone in 15 minutes, or even faster
Sponsored