Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It solves the problem of WHERE the charger is. A pad once wire has been laid can be put anywhere for EV owners to just drive over. An apartment complex could have 20 (EV pad) parking spaces with smart controllers. Turn on pad 1 for apart 316. Apartment 316 has a dedicated charger for their unit/car. If the chargers are not being used ANY car can take the parking spot. Pretty simple.
But then when someone needs to charge, they can't get to the pad?

-Crissa
Sponsored

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
I wonder how hard it will be to retrofit highways with charging systems. Although the static pads have advantages in urban settings, highway range (especially while towing) is the one of the final cons of EVs.

I wonder if they will ever be able to get enough wireless power going to the vehicle to keep a fully loaded semi going nonstop. That would put the nail in the coffin to ICE semi's.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I wonder how hard it will be to retrofit highways with charging systems. Although the static pads have advantages in urban settings, highway range (especially while towing) is the one of the final cons of EVs.

I wonder if they will ever be able to get enough wireless power going to the vehicle to keep a fully loaded semi going nonstop. That would put the nail in the coffin to ICE semi's.
This would only work if the entire world becomes so wealthy that no-one works for a living anymore and we start getting bored and create vanity projects. The cost and feasibility are so far out of spec that I wonder why people even entertain the idea.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This would only work if the entire world becomes so wealthy that no-one works for a living anymore and we start getting bored and create vanity projects. The cost and feasibility are so far out of spec that I wonder why people even entertain the idea.
I bet people in the in the early 1900s said that about paved roads too. 15 years ago they said EVs would never work. I'm not saying this will be done overnight. Start in the areas where it would be most useful then expand from there. If more roads were able to charge EVs, vehicles would need less batteries and result in less weight.

Do you know how the roadway wireless system is installed?

Erik1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50 Sport Hybrid, XTERRA Pro
Occupation
HVAC/R
Country flag
maybe more distant but more important:

it's the "path" to building roads that charge vehicles while driving
This..in a few decades..I would think the major highways would have 100 mile strips under the road..you only have to stop for food/bathrooms at that point

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This..in a few decades..I would think the major highways would have 100 mile strips under the road..you only have to stop for food/bathrooms at that point

It'll be interesting to see how the deployment is structured in incentivizing ways, esp. in combination with assisted driving technologies

For example, one could see the possibility that highways over mountains become an interesting "charging" opportunity.
On the way up the mountain, there are intermittent induction charging strips of say a 1/4 mile, where the assisted driving regulates speed over this section in order to maximize charge and offset the uphill efficiency losses.​
Then on the way down the mountain, the assisted driving regulates the speed/breaking to maximize regeneration.​
With the net outcome being that a trip over and down a mountain requires only X% of battery capacity - more or less making the milage of that course near net neutral.​

Eclipse

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LRP
Occupation
Real-estate
Country flag
Thats the same with a cable charger. The cable charger and an induction charger have very similar constraints. Almost anywhere you can put an induction pad you can put a wall connector on a pedestal.
In a sense it is BUT it gives the freedom to the apartment complex to turn them on or off to allow other cars on the spot. Overall it is more inviting for the complex to use it because the only upfront investment is burying a cable and not cementing in a charger. Simple studa can be driven into the ground and locking bolts can hold them in place. Easily removed to other spots or added on to. The best part is the on and off capabilities and the option of other cars to park there. I think apartments will live this idea.

Eclipse

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LRP
Occupation
Real-estate
Country flag
Thats the same with a cable charger. The cable charger and an induction charger have very similar constraints. Almost anywhere you can put an induction pad you can put a wall connector on a pedestal.
With the wires underground and just placing the pads where you want them will make it MORE inviting for apartment complexes is what I am trying to across.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Enter Optimus…..

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I bet people in the in the early 1900s said that about paved roads too. 15 years ago they said EVs would never work. I'm not saying this will be done overnight. Start in the areas where it would be most useful then expand from there. If more roads were able to charge EVs, vehicles would need less batteries and result in less weight.

Do you know how the roadway wireless system is installed?
Wireless pads installed in fixed parking spaces? Sure, but will still have substantial power loses.

Wireless charging on roadways? I don't see that ever working. What do you have in mind about that type of system? Can you describe the idea?

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wireless pads installed in fixed parking spaces? Sure, but will still have substantial power loses.

Wireless charging on roadways? I don't see that ever working. What do you have in mind about that type of system? Can you describe the idea?
https://www.carscoops.com/?p=2891289

I guess you might have missed this article. It’s a newly constructed highway so I was wondering how retrofitting existing highways would be.

I have friend in the energy sector that tell me the grid will be the limiting factor for decades for majority EV transportation. Plus most people drive during the day when the grid is at peak limits. This would not flatten the demand timing.

OhmsLolEnforcement

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As an electrical engineer, this is also my opinion. Just like Solar Roads, this is an ambition that would cost a lot and yield very little.

Induction chargers are less efficient than physical cables. There is always a loss, and double that for wireless. With cable we either increase the voltage or increase the cable size. With wireless, you focus the magnetic fields. Stationary chargers have made progress on efficiency, but it still sucks. Now try to implement that on a 70 MPH moving target. Not worth it.

Even if the moving target problem is sufficiently solved, those inductors take serious current. Either we're going to deplete the Earth's crust of Copper ore to put these things in 1% of our roads, or were going to be placing MV transformers every 100 yards in the middle of the freeway.

Maybe these things make sense in robotaxi garages or bus stops. Maaaaybe parking decks. That's gonna be about it. Building more DC fast chargers and deploying the robotic tentacle cables is going to be cheaper, easier and more impactful.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe these things make sense in robotaxi garages or bus stops. Maaaaybe parking decks. That's gonna be about it. Building more DC fast chargers and deploying the robotic tentacle cables is going to be cheaper, easier and more impactful.
Exactly, miles of copper rails, basically.

I want to see these anywhere plugging and unplugging needs to be done quickly and efficiently. Think taxi-stands; or anywhere there's a queue of vehicles that come, sit for a few minutes, or need to be in a moving queue.

No one wants to wait for the taxi to park, plug, unplug. Or a row of bulk trucks waiting to be filled. Even at the low rate of power of current inductor pads, it reverses the power drain of sitting there ready to move, AC and electronics sucking up power.

In a sense it is BUT it gives the freedom to the apartment complex to turn them on or off to allow other cars on the spot. Overall it is more inviting for the complex to use it because the only upfront investment is burying a cable and not cementing in a charger. Simple studa can be driven into the ground and locking bolts can hold them in place. Easily removed to other spots or added on to. The best part is the on and off capabilities and the option of other cars to park there. I think apartments will live this idea.
But that's literally cementing in a charger. You've just taken the cord and wound the wire in the pavement.

I guess I don't understand your point?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: