JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Goldman Sachs estimate of $28 Bn is based on growth of the system to 500,000 terminals doing 15 cars per day each. They also showed estimates of $479M based on 25,000 terminals doing 5 cars a day each but screaming that number in the headline wouldn't attract that many clicks.
So my comments that its not possible to do $25b with 25,000 stations was obviously correct then. Phew! I was already worried I'd have to get a new calculator! ;)

The sole purpose of the GS statement was to generate some hype. I wonder what their Tesla portfolio is.

My real question is how many SC does the US even need for 100% EV? How many petrol/gas stations are there in comparison?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Petrol station count is a poor substitute for potential EV charging station count. Home charging and destination charging puts a pretty big monkey wrench in a lot of these comparisons.

In home, workplace and destination (hotel/ mall/ pub/ movie theater/ etc.) charging is far more interesting economically because it can potentially eliminate tons of downtime and extra fuel up stops.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Petrol station count is a poor substitute for potential EV charging station count. Home charging and destination charging puts a pretty big monkey wrench in a lot of these comparisons.

In home, workplace and destination (hotel/ mall/ pub/ movie theater/ etc.) charging is far more interesting economically because it can potentially eliminate tons of downtime and extra fuel up stops.
Thats fine and I agree.

But its still a comparison to SC that operate a similar profile than petrol stations. SC can only be less by the amount people home and destination charge, but not more. So fuel stops would give an approximation of the max SC numbers required for the current fleet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla could make money on Superchargers and charge less than Electrify America does.

The real problem is nobody else has bothered making a charging network because there is no money in it (yet).

Competition in charging is good for everyone.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla's in-vehicle app can count how many are queued up?
I don’t think so. Maybe it’s something Tesla should add. It would be a nice little bit of intel.

Yes phone app can,,
That’s a count of chargers available at the station, not how many people are waiting when the station is full.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Carry a vehicle to vehicle cable and just daisy chain charging all the cars at once. Or, symphonic energy from car in front and just drive off. The car won’t be stranded at a charger. ?
Teslacentipede....... coming to theaters soon.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
That doesn't show anyone queued up.

-Crissa
What it needs to do is take into account an enroute users (based on the in car navigation between SC) and figure out if there will be any overlaps that exceed charger capacity, then try to route them to different sites.

That won't help with people using ABRP, but they can only work with what they know.

And Tesla needs to buy ABRP and integrate the features. :)

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How Much Revenue Will Tesla Make From Sharing Superchargers?

https://insideevs.com/news/522126/tesla-open-superchargers-estimated-revenue/
By Steve Loveday
July 23, 2021

Tesla could stand to make $25 billion per year while helping the world's EV owners forget about range anxiety.

For years, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said it's his (and Tesla's) mission to encourage EV adoption. The mission is much more highly faceted than that, but you get the idea. As part of that mission, Tesla created its own proprietary fast-charging network, which it has offered to share with other EV makers, though it seemed no other companies were interested. Perhaps it comes at a cost that's exorbitant?

Regardless, now that there's a major surge in EV adoption, and many OEMs are producing (and actually promoting and selling) compelling EVs, it makes sense for Tesla to once again offer its vast and powerful Supercharger network to other automakers. And, that's sort of what has been reported.

With that said, it seems that rather than other automakers actually making a deal with Tesla to use its charging network, Tesla simply plans to open the network to other EVs, which would give owners the choice to use the Superchargers. If we understand correctly, those owners would be the ones paying Tesla for the charging sessions.

In fact, Elon Musk himself recently tweeted about it as part of a reply. He says Tesla will make its Supercharger network available to other EVs later this year

According to a recent report by our friends at Teslarati, Goldman Sachs worked to estimate just how much revenue Tesla could generate if it actually has other EVs charging on its network. The investment firm says the US-based electric automaker could make over $25 billion per year thanks to this upcoming plan. Teslarati writes:

While it makes perfect sense that Tesla will stand to benefit from this plan in a big way, $25 billion is incredible. However, some Tesla fans and owners have concerns about the potential impact on the network's wait times. Perhaps Tesla plans to build out the Supercharger network first before adding the option for other EVs to charge?
Recently I saw several Tesla's using the new Tesla charging station at Santa Ysabel, Ca. using the
stalls as their personal parking spots not hooked up for charging. What's to keep other EV owners from doing the same and clogging up availability?

ltp2568

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model s 2017
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I Just Fished a trip from Arizona to Connecticut, most of the superchargers were full, if Tesla opens
it to others , he will have to open up about double, or there will be long lines

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Recently I saw several Tesla's using the new Tesla charging station at Santa Ysabel, Ca. using the
stalls as their personal parking spots not hooked up for charging. What's to keep other EV owners from doing the same and clogging up availability?
Same thing that keeps ICE cars from parking in charging spots.
Sponsored