The Cybertruck is NOT a "Pickup Truck". So what is it?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I love the 6 cylinder Cummins inline 6 motor. I simply don't like how they struggle to breath with all of the emission equipment like sensors, DEF fluid, etc. Any type of CEL warning light requires a trip to the dealer with computer diagnostic charges.
Sponsored

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Sandy Munro has said multiple times that the Cybertruck is not a pickup truck. At first, I disagreed and wondered why he would say this, but I'm realizing he's right. It's MUCH more than a pickup truck. Think about it. You've got the following:

-Faster quarter-mile than a Dodge Hellcat, more comparable to a Lamborghini Huracan
-Better ground clearance than a Jeep Wrangler (by a large margin)
-1 more seat than your average family SUV
-Better efficiency than a Prius AND zero emissions
-More cubic feet of storage than an F150
-More payload capacity than a top tier F150

And MUCH more. For these reasons, I feel like the Cybertruck needs its own name or acronym for the vehicle segment it's creating. I'll start with a couple.

DEV: Do Everything Vehicle
MPV: Multi-Purpose Vehicle
MUT: Mega Utility Truck

Any other ideas?
Did anyone watch Godzilla King of the Monsters? We should give the Cybertruck a similar title. How about Emperor of ALL Trucks? Also you get the super cool abbreviation of EAT (their lunch) which is exactly what it is going to do to all trucks and SUVs.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Sport-Like Utility Truck... Because she's fast and gets around.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
In-line with what Sandy said, to me the CT is a Sports-Luxury Truck.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Sandy Munro has said multiple times that the Cybertruck is not a pickup truck. At first, I disagreed and wondered why he would say this, but I'm realizing he's right. It's MUCH more than a pickup truck. Think about it. You've got the following:

-Faster quarter-mile than a Dodge Hellcat, more comparable to a Lamborghini Huracan

And MUCH more. For these reasons, I feel like the Cybertruck needs its own name or acronym for the vehicle segment it's creating. I'll start with a couple.

Any other ideas?

XUV that's Cybertruck.

I drive a Tahoe 2 door which incorporates an open cargo area behind the 2nd seat. The breakout of Cybertruck parameters helps delineate how capable its strengths really will be. Intuitively, Cybertruck pre-order early adopters picked up on its strengths in putting their money down.

The major utility difference between my Tahoe and Cybertruck will be separate cargo and passenger compartments. I love being enclosed in 360° vision glass in the Tahoe. But I can now see that the open pickup bed provides unrestricted height, weight and a 5th wheel trailering option. SO Thank you pickup design.

BUT Cybertruck is not a traditional pickup. No slide-in camper, canopy rack or utility box allowed on Cybertruck. I'm not alluding that no one will try but a trad-pickup design fills that niche. Due to Cybertruck unique pickup rail design the future holds some intriguing opportunities to accommodate new ideas, new use cases and innovative solutions.

THUS Cybertruck more than a pickup frames future and future solutions around its design ethos. Designs will be constrained by Cybertruck, its sloped side rails AND unconstrained by its torque, power, speed, capacity and capability. That AND is Cybertruck's point of divergence from traditional style pickups.

Tesla will never produce a traditional pickup. Ford, GM and Dodge will continue. Traditional buyers, use cases and traditional industries continue.

What Cybertruck will do to traditional pickups that Tesla has done to traditional sedans remains the billion dollar board room answer auto executives are questioning.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well maybe not....What defines a "Pickup truck?"

some of us older fellas (and some car enthusiasts) remember this little thing called an chevy El Camino. or a Ford Rachero. These were essentially a car with a truck bed...but was not a pickup truck.

I vote for TNT

Tesla's Nice Truck

Dscarty

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3 & Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Any other ideas?

Dscarty

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3 & Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
MPV was already used by Mazda. Don't want another debacle like you know who insisting "you can't use model e".

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
My vote is DEV, I really like it for the nod to Tesla vehicles' computing power and constant updates.

Might be a bit too crude for s3xy theme, but we should stop tap dancing around the sports luxury utility truck and just own it.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Maybe we should review how it got its name. It's clearly from 'cybernetics' but where does that come from? That's the term that Norbert Wiener coined to describe all the neat stuff AI was going to be doing for us by the end of the year (sound familiar?). But he got that from Greek κυβερνήτης (cybernetes) which means the steersman of a ship. The root "cyber" has picked up all sorts of connotations since the days of Norbert (November 26, 1894 – March 18, 1964) but has never, in the minds of us old guys anyway, lost its original meaning. I think it pretty apt for this truck.
Sponsored